Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

Which players do you think Rodgers will stick with or bin?

On 08/03/2019 at 19:09, foxpleasure said:

There is nothing in Ghezzal's past (apart from a part season previously under Puel) that suggests he is of Premier League standard.

You could that about many of our past players we've bought in, particularly from abroad. There was nothing in Marhez's lowly past for example. Many players that come aren't Premier league standard when they arrive and have to adapt.

• Like 1

On 08/03/2019 at 16:28, mozartfox said:

This is a great idea but needs combining with The Duckworth Lewis System to ensure any binning makes logical sense.

This ^

The only thing missing from the original idea was a formula that decides things if it rains. I think you’re onto something big here.

The new moneyball I imagine 

19 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

You could that about many of our past players we've bought in, particularly from abroad. There was nothing in Marhez's lowly past for example. Many players that come aren't Premier league standard when they arrive and have to adapt.

But you usually at least have their fans being positive about them. This was not the case with Ghezzal.

3 hours ago, H.a.r.r.y said:

put kelechi and gray out on loan, if they don't improve bin them

i say sell all 3, GRAY, KELECHI AND SHINJA, also move on simpson, morgan. bring in a class central midfielder, a top class winger and a class forward and i think we can finish in the top 8 next year.

38 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Ghezzal's treatment by "fans" is like a player version of Puel...

Personally, Ghezzal looks to me like a guy who has a chance to be a useful squad player next season.  With a year to adapt to the PL and judicious usage he could be an effective flair player off the bench.  He's not a starter, and not a good matchup against some opponents, but he has real skills and they can be of help if he's used properly.

he would be so much better if he new which way to go, spends more time going backwards than going forwards, i thought he was playing for fulham. lol

1 hour ago, Deeg67 said:

Personally, Ghezzal looks to me like a guy who has a chance to be a useful squad player next season.  With a year to adapt to the PL and judicious usage he could be an effective flair player off the bench.  He's not a starter, and not a good matchup against some opponents, but he has real skills and they can be of help if he's used properly.

Couldn't agree more. At least the bloke looks like he's trying his utmost for the manager, team and himself when he plays, and he does have skill. I think he has the chance to make a career here, but it sadly looks like our 'fans' have dismissed him as crap and wont change their minds. 

Strange how Iheanacho still gets defended on here when he is the total opposite of Ghezzal. Lazy, disinterested and lacking any sort of brain (not to mention any kind of skill).

For me, the players leaving should be Nacho, Simpson, James, Okazaki and maybe two or three of our out on loan players. I can't see how any of them can be used next season. No way would I sell Gray as I think his best years are still to come and I've seen progress in him this season. And we need two strikers urgently.

Edited by ThaiFox

I don’t know why we are speculating who will gain or lose under Rogers so early in the day. None of us is Rogers and we have not seen enough of games he has been in charge to be able to see what his preferences are so as to even allow us to have this conversation.

This is simply a discussion about who YOU want to see let go or given new lease of life.

Think it's fairly obvious who won't be figuring in Rodgers' plans going forward.

His biggest challenge will be to keep hold of Chilwell and Maguire, and if they do have to go (silly money from Man City and Man U respectively) source decent replacements. Could be bad news for Celtic though - Tierney and Boyata spring to mind!

3 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Puel clearly wasn't up to the job and sadly despite his efforts neither is Ghezzal. Other than groans, Puel in particular got away lightly.

There is no point in trying to sell Ghezzal, he's never commanded a transfer fee previously and likely won't again.

In saying that ...... I was hoping he'd replace Gray sooner on Sat!!

We seem to have a cluster of players that seem to have some/ limited ability but lack intelligence.

To think Puel who got 'the treatment' picked Ghezzal repeatedly ahead of Albrighton early days.

Edited by Bob Hazels shorts
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

Puel clearly wasn't up to the job and sadly despite his efforts neither is Ghezzal. Other than groans, Puel in particular got away lightly.

There is no point in trying to sell Ghezzal, he's never commanded a transfer fee previously and likely won't again.

In saying that ...... I was hoping he'd replace Gray sooner on Sat!!

We seem to have a cluster of players that seem to have some/ limited ability but lack intelligence.

To think Puel who got 'the treatment' picked Ghezzal repeatedly ahead of Albrighton early days.

I agree. Was a complete disgrace that ghezzal was played ahead of the world class footballer that is albrighton. 

* he may actually have less goals than Maguire this season. That is an achievement in itself. 

Edited by OhYesNdidi

2 hours ago, Mythyaar said:

Think it's fairly obvious who won't be figuring in Rodgers' plans going forward.

His biggest challenge will be to keep hold of Chilwell and Maguire, and if they do have to go (silly money from Man City and Man U respectively) source decent replacements. Could be bad news for Celtic though - Tierney and Boyata spring to mind!

Boyata is out of contract at the end of the season so you could pick him up for nowt!

He's been very good for us the last couple of years, improved a lot.  However, in Europe he often comes up short against a better standard of striker so I'd have concerns with him playing against to strikers week in week out.  Worth a punt for free probably though.  

I wouldn't say he'd be a better option than Evans and/or Benkovic however.

2 hours ago, Mythyaar said:

On 08/03/2019 at 11:35, Swan Lesta said:

I agree Col and I can actually see him cashing in on Kasper as well.

What's Schmeichel like with the ball at his feet?  Rodgers is obsessed with keepers being able to play out from the back so if he's not great with his feet I'd wager he'll try and replace him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Boyata is out of contract at the end of the season so you could pick him up for nowt!

He's been very good for us the last couple of years, improved a lot.  However, in Europe he often comes up short against a better standard of striker so I'd have concerns with him playing against to strikers week in week out.  Worth a punt for free probably though.  

I wouldn't say he'd be a better option than Evans and/or Benkovic however.

We have Maguire, Evans, Benkovic and Soyuncu. Plus there's 2-3 very highly rated CB's in our U23 team and then he's said he wants Morgan to sign a new 1 year deal. It's the one area we have too many options already. Hopefully we get big money for Maguire in the summer but even if we do there's an argument we don't need a replacement.

2 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

What's Schmeichel like with the ball at his feet?  Rodgers is obsessed with keepers being able to play out from the back so if he's not great with his feet I'd wager he'll try and replace him.

Questionable to say the least. Short passes he's fine, it's the 35-40 balls that he tries to be too clever with, see the last minute winner for Watford a week ago.

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Questionable to say the least. Short passes he's fine, it's the 35-40 balls that he tries to be too clever with, see the last minute winner for Watford a week ago.

Righto, similar to who was our first choice for most of Rodgers spell, Craig Gordon.  Was incapable of playing these diagonal pitching wedge passes that Rodgers insists on, was infuriating.  We'd get away with it at home but it would really cost is in Europe against the better teams.

I guess the difference will be he'll have money to go out and get the exact type of keeper he wants at you guys though.

From afar, would look a brave move to bin Schmeichel though given he's been pretty synonymous with a lot of your recent success.

I don’t understand the hate our fans have for Ghezzal? I don’t see anything the poor lad has done wrong. He just needs some confidence and I think he’ll be a much better player. Booing him and hounding him out of the club isn’t the right approach. I’m glad we have a manager now strong enough to tell moronic fans to shove their dumb opinions. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Master Fox said:

I don’t understand the hate our fans have for Ghezzal? I don’t see anything the poor lad has done wrong. He just needs some confidence and I think he’ll be a much better player. Booing him and hounding him out of the club isn’t the right approach. I’m glad we have a manager now strong enough to tell moronic fans to shove their dumb opinions. 

Agreed. I could speculate as to why but I'd start a fight. Poor fellow looked unhappy on the highlights. 

6 hours ago, Mythyaar said:

There's a better centre half at Celtic and what's even better is that we already own him lol 

• Like 1

I do actually feel a bit for Ghezzal. Don't think he's particularly impressed but gets a harder deal than he deserves and I do think he actually does try, just often bodges the chances lol didn't think he looked bad on Saturday actually. Looked a bit more confident. Had a better game than Gray anyway who was terrible.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I do actually feel a bit for Ghezzal. Don't think he's particularly impressed but gets a harder deal than he deserves and I do think he actually does try, just often bodges the chances lol didn't think he looked bad on Saturday actually. Looked a bit more confident. Had a better game than Gray anyway who was terrible.

Yes he does get a harder time of it for sure. He tried to play a pass onto an overlapping Ricardo that didn't work out against Palace and lots in the ground shouted at him for making a mistake.

He had an ok game on Saturday but you could spot his limitations. His mobility isn't all that great and he lacks the directness of Mahrez. At one point he got a ball and there was a gap opened up for him to exploit. I was thinking Go For It Ghezzal but he hadnt the pace to take it on and stopped after a few yards and passed the ball behind him a la Andy King. Had that been another certain Algerian or Ricardo there would have been a chance but the lack of directness to his game is a major flaw.

He is a very good on the ball and does have a habit of picking out a good pass to someone on the other side of the pitch. A bit like Mendy he could be good as a late replacement to bring a bit of control to things but he just isn't convincing right now as a starter.

Edited by Blue ROI