Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nick

Demarai Gray

No way he leaves until Brendan has a chance to sprinkle his magic fairy dust. I saw glimpses of genius and raw willpower against Bournemouth. Let the team build.

4 minutes ago, SO1 said:

No way he leaves until Brendan has a chance to sprinkle his magic fairy dust. I saw glimpses of genius and raw willpower against Bournemouth. Let the team build.

When he took it passed four players only be mess up laying it off to a team mate was the full Demarai Gray experience really. I really want him to succeed here though.

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Out of interest on my lunch I've just picked out four comparable players from the teams in 7th to 11th 

Leicester - Gray - 4 goals, 1 assist - 1741 minutes 

Everton - Bernard - 1 goal, 3 assists - 1645 minutes

West Ham - Antonio - 4 goals, 3 assists - 1724 minutes

Watford - Pereyra - 6 goals, 1 assist - 2419 minutes

Wolves - Traore - 1 goal, 1 assist - 841 minutes 

So I'd have Gray in that category of average Premier League wingers. Wolves don't really play wingers in a midfield four like the others do mind. 

That’s a pretty good comparison to make. As you say it just puts him in the “bang average” category. We should expect more though, he’s been here long enough and had a sustained run in the team. But if there’s someone that can get the best out of him then Rodgers is that man.  

Shocked Bernard is so low as he’s looked class in both matches against us. 

6 hours ago, mancunianfox said:

When he took it passed four players only be mess up laying it off to a team mate was the full Demarai Gray experience really. I really want him to succeed here though.

It's funny and sad at the same time when I listen to supporters at Rodgers newest job. I can't tell you how many times I hear "this players dross or that players shit" only to change to something positive in 3mos, 6mos, 1year, or more. For me that's one of the best parts of the Brendan Rodgers Experience.  To see players of all abilities getting better, working hard and contributing to the team. Just writing this brings a flood of players and memories to my mind of success and failure for all kinds of different reasons.

I believe Demarai is going to succeed here. I know he has the will. I saw it against Bournemouth. The whole team worked their asses off the whole game and everyone had a part to play in that including the supporters. The singing was incredible. I could feel the energy for Vichai in Savannah. At the end of the game, if it were up to me, I would have elected the whole team man of the match.

Edited by SO1

3 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

So, I’ve been unable to find a specific long term thread for all things Demarai so I’m starting this one.

Firstly I reckon he’s a player with a lot of promise who stagnated a bit under Puel but still a rated memeber of the England U21/23 set up although seemingly in a more central position...

I think under BR he’s looked a lot sharper but of late has had to deal with lots of comments about his footballing progress and intelligence which has got to be tough for a young lad.

Id like him to stay and develop under BR - I’m hoping he has an exemplarary future at LCFC and makes a starting wide forward place his own.

It’d be nice if we had a thread for the lad with a bit of balance and knowing he reads the forum some integrity please.

Nice reasoned comments and can't  disagree with anything you have said. He undoubtedly has talent and undoubtedly hasn't fulfilled his potential......yet.

Here is hoping that he does under BR. I'll be offering support and encouragement especially when, as was the case Saturday, there was plenty of effort and commitment on show. Id love to see more of him taking on defenders and burning them more often

• Like 1

Let's try and keep the middle ground. It's not like he isn't contributing anything but he will certainly be expecting to bump up his goals and assist numbers very soon. Been with us 3 years and won't be given the leeway of youth for much longer unless he starts to deliver. That said, those suggesting we give up on him or sell on the cheap are blinded by their own frustration with the current version of him.

25 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Because the football wasn’t conducive to y’know, scoring goals.

56 goals scored 2017/2018, 7th most in the league.

32 goals at the point of sacking (27 games) in 2017/2018 after losing our most creative player that's just 3 less than the team sat 8th and we missed an absolute shit load of chances.

To suggest Gray's woes are down to him is just silly, the year before when he wasn't even here we had 30 goals from 27 games. Gray has had plenty of chances under lots of different managers and still isn't grasping the opportunities.

• Like 2

He's a tough one to twig. He isn't complete rubbish but his goals and assists output are massively lacking. Maddison isn't far off his whole Leicester total already and he's played a fraction of the games. I see him as the most obvious starter to replace, good enough to be a part of our squad but I think if we really want to kick on we need better, unless he really does start to consistently deliver.

He works harder than he's given credit for but his attacking production is lacking. To be honest, so is Barnes', but it's early days for him and Gray's been here over three years.

Don't want to turn it all into a Gray bashing thread but it's not like his Championship stats were outstanding either. He's a kid with a bit of talent but doesn't really seem to apply it very well. Rodgers may bring the best out of him but after saying he wants double figures goals/assists from his wide men, then I think he's got to seriously step it up if he wants to stay in our side. He's scraped that in three years here.

If he’s in the ‘works his arse off but struggles to deliver goals or assists’ bracket then why does Albrighton generally get a free pass for it and this lad doesn’t? 

Alrbighton is probably better going backwards but surely there’s no doubt Gray offers more going forwards . Cost us next to fvck all and still has plenty of time on his side too. Desperate for him to come of age soon.

If he’s still the same player in a year or 2 I think we’ll be  better off looking elsewhere but for now I hope we persist.

3 minutes ago, Goober said:

If he’s in the ‘works his arse off but struggles to deliver goals or assists’ bracket then why does Albrighton generally get a free pass for it and this lad doesn’t? 

Alrbighton is probably better going backwards but surely there’s no doubt Gray offers more going forwards . Cost us next to fvck all and still has plenty of time on his side too. Desperate for him to come of age soon.

If he’s still the same player in a year or 2 I think we’ll be  better off looking elsewhere but for now I hope we persist.

Because Albrighton actually creates chances? Albrighton had more assists last season (7) than Gray has in his entire Leicester career (in the league).

10 minutes ago, Goober said:

Albrighton's goal and assist numbers are abysmal. He gets a free pass because he works hard. Some players are apparently judged in their stats while others aren't. Okazaki is another player who gets an easy ride on here because he works hard, but his stats are also woeful despite playing as an attacking midfielder behind one of the most prolific strikers in the league. 

Gray is what he is. Decent squad player but not a first team player. Unless a silly offer comes in I'll keep him here.

Edited by Koke
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Koke said:

Albrighton's goal and assist numbers are abysmal. He gets a free pass because he works hard. Some players are apparently judged in their stats while others aren't. Okazaki is another player who gets an easy ride on here because he works hard, but his stats are also woeful despite playing as an attacking midfielder behind one of the most prolific strikers in the league. 

Gray is what he is. Decent squad player but not a first team player. Unless a silly offer comes in I'll keep him here.

What's a silly offer for Gray?

43 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Don't want to turn it all into a Gray bashing thread but it's not like his Championship stats were outstanding either. He's a kid with a bit of talent but doesn't really seem to apply it very well. Rodgers may bring the best out of him but after saying he wants double figures goals/assists from his wide men, then I think he's got to seriously step it up if he wants to stay in our side. He's scraped that in three years here.

He has the raw ingredients to be a success. But sometimes players don't make the best use of them. A bit like Barnes, he could do with a goal or two for a boost of confidence.

He was brilliant against Brighton, was harsh to drop him for Watford and he was unlucky at Burnley to be sacrificed after the red.

The end to the season is a free hit so I hope he just goes for it like he did against Brighton.

32 minutes ago, Koke said:

£15m or above. He's better than Schlupp and we got £12m for him. 

Kind of proves the point to me. I reckon as an England U21 winger he could go for comfortably over that and I'm not exactly a huge fan.

He screams Bournemouth.

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

56 goals scored 2017/2018, 7th most in the league.

32 goals at the point of sacking (27 games) in 2017/2018 after losing our most creative player that's just 3 less than the team sat 8th and we missed an absolute shit load of chances.

To suggest Gray's woes are down to him is just silly, the year before when he wasn't even here we had 30 goals from 27 games. Gray has had plenty of chances under lots of different managers and still isn't grasping the opportunities.

I’m not suggesting his woes are solely down to CP as you well know Babs, but you were there and watched matches under CP (By the way I quite agree with you that we need a greater return and he needs to develop and step up which he’ll hopefully do under BR) and my tongue in cheek point being that lobbing crosses in from out wide to Vardy probably wasn’t best suited to Grays game or it’s development. I’m not sure how it will go with DG but I do actually believe he has the potential to be mustard but it’s about whether he grasps how and what it will take for him to get there...

• Like 1