Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nick

Demarai Gray

Albrighton > Gray without a doubt, Gray barely does what he's supposed to do, he'll beat his man once or twice on a good day apart from that he barely contributes.
He scores goals, so does Albrighton (Even Morgan does).
Albrighton's work rate is similar to Ricardo - it's insane, whereas Gray can't even be arsed to join in a counterattack he just walks up whilst Ricardo does his job i watched him do it against Bournemouth - makes me wonder what he's doing on the pitch
And before you slate me about him being young, i know.

Gray is an interesting one.

I do think he adds value to the team that goes undetected sometimes. I would never imagine an opposition manager telling his team "let Gray have the ball" and I do think he's seen as a potential threat by the other team.

if you give him too much space with his pace and skill he'll hurt you - so having him in the team makes it more difficult to get bodies marking Maddison, Barnes and of course Vardy. 

• Like 1

Just don't think he has the footballing brain to get much better. How many assists has he got in the last 3 years? Surely a top winger should have 20+. Could count DG's on one hand. A shame because he's got a lot of talent. The end product just isn't there.

He's got everything to be a top player in terms of physical strength and technique, however his decision making have been consistently poor, very poor I would say.

But what I can see must be obvious for managers and hopefully BR could help him develop in that department.

15 minutes ago, sdb said:

Just don't think he has the footballing brain to get much better. How many assists has he got in the last 3 years? Surely a top winger should have 20+. Could count DG's on one hand. A shame because he's got a lot of talent. The end product just isn't there.

Agree.. By now he should be showing some progress but always flatters to deceive. 

I'd move him on. 

• Like 1

.....would love to see Gray become the player we think he could be and achieve this here!!

Glad we have finally shifted him to the right although Barnes coming on the scene has obviously forced that situation and no one can dispute the impact Barnes has made. Demaris' football education is about to effectively start now, his movement will be natural and with playing consistently, a chance to hone his skills in his right position.

With Brendan Rodgers now in charge we will get to see if he can develop his service and allround link up within our play. The need to see an opening and ability to play the pass needs to be worked on as a matter of course and I have said before that he has been over indulged.

He showed a little better on Saturday but still not enough to justify selection.

His positioning particularly in the box is poor. He fails to gamble by getting across defenders of state wide enough to pick up errant crosses.

Albright shows a much better attitude and work ethic despite his limited ability.

I think it's time to sell Gray and replace with a new option.

• Like 1

Next season is big for him. Think he'll suit Brendans style a lot but if the clubs got wingers being scouted as you would imagine they do for all positions, I'd say a big step is needed from him. The club would know his value could drop as-well, considering 20 mil was being banded around not long ago and he only cost 3 mil wasn't it?

• Like 1

Am i the only one who thinks Gray is one of our most valuable players on the pitch recently? He works damn hard! his run after losing the ball last Saturday was a big eye opener to his contributions to the club. Seriously and realistically, what do you expect from him at this stage? Hes doing just fine, and i think alot of people judge him solely on his goal number rather than performance as a team player and workrate.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Simoken said:

Am i the only one who thinks Gray is  He works damn hard! his run after losing the ball last Saturday was a big eye opener to his contributions to the club. Seriously and realistically, what do you expect from him at this stage? Hes doing just fine, and i think alot of people judge him solely on his goal number rather than performance as a team player and workrate.

Yes I think you are, if you are impressed with him losing the ball and chasing to get it back then that is odd, it’s the very least you expect from a player.

He is a winger, a winger is there to create and score.

He does neither

10 minutes ago, mod hero said:

if you are impressed with him losing the ball and chasing to get it back then that is odd

Odd? Id prefer a player to run his socks off to recover a ball he lost even if hes not scoring goals. If i can remember last week Alan.S comments on one of the reasons why Fulham are getting relegated was about how lazy Tierney and not chasing the ball down after losing possession. Lacking in work-rate to chase the ball down. If you don't see the importance of this 'odd' trait than you are pretty niave. The moment one player stops putting the work in others will follow its human nature. Thats one reason why hes valuable to the team.

3 minutes ago, Simoken said:

Odd? Id prefer a player to run his socks off to recover a ball he lost even if hes not scoring goals. If i can remember last week Alan.S comments on one of the reasons why Fulham are getting relegated was about how lazy Tierney and not chasing the ball down after losing possession. Lacking in work-rate to chase the ball down. If you don't see the importance of this 'odd' trait than you are pretty niave. The moment one player stops putting the work in others will follow its human nature. Thats one reason why hes valuable to the team.

You’ve only highlighted the first bit of my sentence, underneath I said it’s the very least you’d expect from a player especially when Brendan’s tactics are to win the ball back high up the pitch.

I said odd because that’s a given with our new style and players should do that anyway shouldn’t they?

Has anything else impressed you with him?

1 minute ago, mod hero said:

You’ve only highlighted the first bit of my sentence,

I only highlighted the first part of the sentence due to a lack of insight or substance to comment on... same with this last response... pointless

9 minutes ago, Simoken said:

I only highlighted the first part of the sentence due to a lack of insight or substance to comment on... same with this last response... pointless

??? 

you’ve not answered my question, what else has impressed you about Demarai?

1 minute ago, Simoken said:

Why do i even need to answer that question?........

I was just interested why you rate him that’s all mate, you said most fans judge him on his goal number and not his performances.

I think he is well below average and you obviously rate him, so just wondered why?

Just now, mod hero said:

I was just interested why you rate him that’s all mate, you said most fans judge him on his goal number and not his performances.

I think he is well below average and you obviously rate him, so just wondered why?

seriously... i just explained why i rate him 30 minutes ago. #fml

A common trait iv seen is top prem players work tirelessly for the team, arguably the fastest tempo league in the world you’ve got to chase the ball down and work the hardest to get it back or you’ve got no hope, works for man city works for Liverpool. Gray strikes me as a bit of a sulker and arm flailer when things aren’t going our way in a game, unless he conforms to being an all round team player and less of an individual I can’t see him ever cutting it. Should be analysing players like bernardo silva at man city, one of the best out of possession as well as when he’s on the ball.

1 hour ago, Simoken said:

Am i the only one who thinks Gray is one of our most valuable players on the pitch recently? He works damn hard! his run after losing the ball last Saturday was a big eye opener to his contributions to the club. Seriously and realistically, what do you expect from him at this stage? Hes doing just fine, and i think alot of people judge him solely on his goal number rather than performance as a team player and workrate.

Well I judge him on all aspects, but the reality is that he's there to score and assist, Rodgers himself has said we need more from the wide players. To have literally the worst assist numbers out of the entire team other than centre backs, keeper and our DM is ridiculous, players who barely play have the same or more. 

He's definitely grafting more than he used to, but Albrighton does that better. So the lad will just end up losing his place if he doesn't start offering more in attack. He's no lost cause, he's young and has talent. But so is Tielemans, so is Barnes and they are out assisting him massively in assists per minute played. 

• Like 2

On 02/04/2019 at 04:58, bpfox said:

WOULD LOVE TO SEE the back of mr gray. has done nothing so far, we really need to up grade him. i say SELL SELL SELL.

Come on, he has hardly been that bad! I get that he is frustrating but he didn't cost us that much and at the very worst he is a capable backup who can play in two positions. We still need squad players and there is no point in getting rid of ones with some potential who are prepared to put the work in just for the sake of it. I am not sure he will ever go on to improve his vision or decision making but he still adds value to us.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Well I judge him on all aspects, but the reality is that he's there to score and assist, Rodgers himself has said we need more from the wide players. To have literally the worst assist numbers out of the entire team other than centre backs, keeper and our DM is ridiculous, players who barely play have the same or more. 

He's definitely grafting more than he used to, but Albrighton does that better. So the lad will just end up losing his place if he doesn't start offering more in attack. He's no lost cause, he's young and has talent. But so is Tielemans, so is Barnes and they are out assisting him massively in assists per minute played. 

finally a comment worth commenting on... I agree with you with regards to score and assist and ofcourse he can do better in that area. But i wanted to highlight his attributes that can help the team as a whole and can hopefully develop and assist him in the long run, I like his football and hes a talent i want him to succeed at LCFC. Rather than slating the young guy for 'not performing as we want right now' and shout 'get rid' until he starts scoring/assisting and then praise him. This sort of attitude is infectious and doesn't help fans or club overall.

So many negative posters, i feel its right to see more insight in his work and what could or may happen from it.

this comment proves my point... uh

On 02/04/2019 at 04:58, bpfox said:

WOULD LOVE TO SEE the back of mr gray. has done nothing so far, we really need to up grade him. i say SELL SELL SELL.

Edited by Simoken

There is something there sure, but how long can we keep going with him when his contributions are so low? He has been in the England set up for a long time as well but it doesn't seem like he is kicking onto the next level. He still seems like a deer in headlights when he pushes forward. 

He has had many chances and we still persevere with him. Which i don't mind as Chilwell has only gotten better by playing games. Problem Gray has got is he hasn't cemented his first team spot, when Albrighton returns he goes straight into the team imo. Still believe he is one of our best players.

I like Gray and i hope he can progress cause if he becomes more clinical then that pushes him into the England seniors which will benefit him even more