Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Fox Covert

Glastonbury

I get it. I’ve seen Elton before and it’s largely what I expected. My father in law is the same age as him and his best talent is that he can count his pills every day. To bang out a 2 hour set is unreal, and there are tonnes of classics in there. The band are tight, Elton bangs at the piano, stands up between songs, and you can barely make out what he’s singing but it largely doesn’t matter.

But my unpopular opinion is that Glastonbury has finally completed its jumping of the shark with this. Elton said he couldn’t believe he was playing, and there is a reason for that. This set could have belong to any festival including the crap served up in Chelmsford over the years. Feels there is very little Glastonbury in these headline acts anymore, and I include GnR in that who feel very anti Glastonbury. Maybe I’m getting middle aged and too cynical, but I’ve seen lots a magical performances over the years and it’s not being replicated anymore. The stars are getting older, and not many of the replacements for the bill really. And maybe it’s because the only people I know who went got corporate tickets paid for by one of the biggest advertising groups in our industry. 

Saying that, watching the Manics on iPlayer and loving it so far. 

It's a fine line isn't it?

It'd be great if newer and younger bands could headline, but I'm struggling to think who could.

I think Sam Fender did Friday last year, on the crest of a wave. Good choice, but who else like that could?

There are plenty of great bands about, but they aren't headline worthy.

People are talking of Blur and Pulp doing it... whilst I love them both, I'd be underwhelmed. 

You know what need to happen...Oasis reforming on The Pyramid Stage next year.

Now that would be a coup.

Guest Mee-9

Been walking around the house for the past 40mins going ‘I’m Dill Dandin. Yeah yeah yeah.’

Changing my name by deedpoll tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, Mee-9 said:

Been walking around the house for the past 40mins going ‘I’m Dill Dandin. Yeah yeah yeah.’

Changing my name by deedpoll tomorrow.

So many Elton songs have been flitting in and out of my head for the last 45 minutes. He really has a bewildering array of hits. Don't know how Glastonbury tops that. Where do you go from Elton?

Incredible performance from Elton tonight. What a way to bow out! Saw him on TV a few years back and it felt like time had eventually caught up with him, but he was so much better this evening I honestly don't know where that performance came from. It was like he'd rolled the clock back 20 years. Yes, I appreciate it was far from prime Elton, but for a bloke in his mid 70s he really put on a show. Bizarre really to think that that was his first and last performance at Glastonbury given the career that he's had. Nice way to wrap up this year's festival. 

Only positive for me is that I didn't go to Glastonbury. Worst one in living memory. My play list normally expands after this weekend but I'm taking nothing away from it. They need to up the game for next year. It's a sad state of affairs if that's the best of the current music industry. 

Pretenders were good though. 

17 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Just seen 10 mins of Fatboy Slim and caught 10 mins last night. Fabulous stuff. 

What happened to the Leicester girl Billy No Mates? Been getting abused online for a poor performance? Anyone see it?

She was brilliant.  Energy, performance everything.  I believe some 6 music message boards were slating her for not have a band.  I thought she was great, singing to music she wrote, and played / recorded herself.  I believe the only thing not her was bass guitar.  willy pullers, I hope she gets over it seeing the support.  She has a lot of talent.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tom27111 said:

There's been a lot of piss taking in this thread, which is great, I'm all for it.

But that was some set by Elton. I could happily watch another 2 hours of it.

There are people I've seen live and I'll be happy to say I've paid good money to see them and witness some great gigs.

No matter your musical taste, I'll always be a little bit sad that I didn't see Elton live. 

That will go down in Glasto history.

Same, one of the greats.