Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Fox Covert

Glastonbury

Four days until the gates open and still no Glastonbury thread?

Last night I did my first shift as one of the goons on the outside of the wall.

I do get a ticket and will have two of the main three days off.

I don't have to camp because I live near enough to walk back to my home.

At one time I got a free ticket on the strength of the village connection. Not any longer, but I don't regret it one bit.

One year I was just inside one of the pedestrian gates at 8am on Wednesday when the gates open. The clamour outside was deafening and I was almost bowled over by the mad stampede once the gates were opened.

Does anyone else on here work at the festival?

Oh, and it's Glastonbury or the Pilton Pop Festival. Nobody round here calls it Glasto. 

• Like 1

Used to go in the late 80's & early 90's.  I worked there doing catering, working 12 hour shifts.  It seems a totally different beast nowadays - the biggest difference being security.  We would turn up on the Wednesday morning when it was empty (except for workers).  We were given a wristband that you could easily slip off & sell to someone on the outside without a ticket.  Most people had tickets, but there were thousands that used to turn up without.  They'd congregate in large numbers & when there was enough of them - they'd charge the fencing & hundreds would flock in with a tent under one arm & a case of beer under the other.

It was also a drug dealers paradise & there would be 1 or 2 deaths each year..........drug dealers killing other drug dealers.

Struggling to remember who I saw, as I worked at Reading & other festivals as well around that time.........Johnny Cash, Pixies, Rage Against the Machine, Beastie Boys, Charlatans, Spiritualized, Ian Dury, The Kinks, The Fall, Primal Scream, Nick Cave, De La Soul, Happy Mondays off the top of my head.

I still enjoy watching it on telly (too old for that roughing it shit) but it does seem to be a totally commercial enterprise now, when essentially it was a religious festival to begin with.  I'm not religious, but it did seem more organic.  It appears to have become about money & who's wearing the trendiest wellies.

I suppose the toilets are still as as bad as ever.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I went in 2015 in the middle of a summer working festivals across the UK, The Netherlands, Germany and Belgium and out of the 11 we did it was easily the best. So much to do and to see, music or otherwise. I was there from Monday to Monday, worked about 50 hours on an hourly rate and also got to see loads of cool stuff and loved it. The mess left behind was something else though!

• Like 1

I'll be heading down on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning.

Haven't been since the Dolly Parton year when a coked-up teenager knocked me to the floor as he marched on by twisting my knee in the process. I'm hoping the same doesn't happen this year and denying the obvious fact that I'm too old for such shenanigans...

Will be sure to check out the Leicester based acts on the line up - that'll be Easy Life and Mahalia from what I know.. sure there must be others as well..

• Like 2

Glad this hasn't turned into a thread about fence jumping!!!

I work at an MoD base and I reckon Glastonbury is now harder to get into than most military establishments.

If you can't get a ticket do as pSinatra and find some work on the site.

I have no idea how many people work for their ticket but it must be tens of thousands.

My outfit is this one:

http://www.oasiscarnival.co.uk/

Never mind the wayward spelling of the Fat Controller who I expect will be the first person to contact you if you volunteer your services.

I don't understand most of the stuff he writes but as long as you turn up for your shifts and don't fall asleep during the middle of the night shift you'll be fine.

My uncle helps build the pop-up pubs they have there every year.

Never ceases to amaze me the amount of idiots you see slating the line-up every year, as if there aren't thousands of different stages and tents you can check out there. If you can't find an act you'd enjoy every minute you're there, then you're an idiot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steveherbe said:

Anyone explain why pyro at football is dangerous, kills children and old people - but at Glasto seems to be encouraged as it adds to the atmosphere?

obviously it’s the same at either venue, but i think a larger proportion of a crowd at a headline set at glastonbury would be more “up for it” than coach one at our away games.

just a thought.