Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxile5

Anaesthetic

Had it once for my tonsillectomy. 

Was no fuss at all in terms of what I felt or the sensation of being put to sleep. The anaesthesist and doctors were all friendly and they make you feel comfortable, get you to sign consent forms etc to make sure you're still happy with the procedure. 

I was asking the anaesthesist basically what happens and if I'll feel it happening. He goes sometimes people do, sometimes not. He said that one time they were putting someone under and they talk to you as they do it to make you feel at ease - apparently this patient one time was talking and then went to sleep as standard. Then when they woke up they were finishing their sentence and story from before they were put under lol

The only issue I had with it was them actually injecting the anaesthesia in to my veins as it was so cold so they couldn't locate it first time. 

5 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Has anyone in here been put under...if so what's it like? 

Getting put to sleep in a few months and I'm beginning to wonder /worry. 

I had a rotator cuff operation last Monday due to two torn ligaments in my shoulder. Was put under for my 2 hour operation. I was bricking it going into hospital- it's natural. The worst bit is when they come in and say "Right your next!!".

Prior to this you will be seen by your surgeon and anaesthetic who will explain what they will do and all the possible side effects and worst case scenario. Mine was paralysis and punctured lung!!!

They wheel you to the pre op room and that's when the anticipation builds. Just relax- a couple more minutes and it's sleep time. The anaesthetic will look for a vein whilst talking about randomn crap. Once found he will say"Little sharp sensation and they you will feel cold". He asked me to try and count to 20. I made 5 and I was gone!

You wake up after your operation and you don't know where you are,what's happened and what was wrong!!!

I felt horrendous for +24 hours whilst there and it is horrible.

I felt sleepy,restless,nauseaous and so dizzy

They checked everything and gave me all my meds etc and only after a few days did I get half back to normal. The after effects are horrible. It's been a week now and I still can't taste food property but this is probably due to my own meds.

Hopefully you react better than me but the actual process isn't too bad.

I’ve had 5 generals anaesthetics in the last 6 years and confirm, like others have said, that you need not worry at all.

The moment it enters your vein to when you go to sleep is a matter of seconds and it’s a lovely feeling.

You will wake up in recovery feeling a bit out of it and groggy but they will have given you painkillers and anti sickness meds during your op.

Don't worry or wind yourself up it will be fine.

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Having ankle tendons reset and pinned. 

Honestly, it sounds a lot worse recovery wise. Good few months of immobility. 

From the Orthopaedic Consultant's perspective this is a straightforward, 'routine' operation so nothing to worry about. They obviously have to give you a general anaesthetic to knock you out. If the Consultant had any concerns as regards your ability to deal with an anaesthetic he would have referred you to the Anaesthetist for their opinion - this could apply, for example, to someone who is grossly obese, has very high blood pressure or significant cardiac issues. 

6 minutes ago, 49er said:

From the Orthopaedic Consultant's perspective this is a straightforward, 'routine' operation so nothing to worry about. They obviously have to give you a general anaesthetic to knock you out. If the Consultant had any concerns as regards your ability to deal with an anaesthetic he would have referred you to the Anaesthetist for their opinion - this could apply, for example, to someone who is grossly obese, has very high blood pressure or significant cardiac issues. 

This link may be useful (albeit that it's and American web site):

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322689.php

Out like a light. When they are waking you up  it can be annoying. At least here in Ontario they say "wakeup Claudio" (fake name) over and over again, my head is in a haze/spin of psychedelic drugs.  I hear them talk but my mind is saying STFU you are annoying me (but i know they are just doing their jobs). Just let me be so that i can wakeup  naturally and fck off lol

Nothing to worry  about  unless you are a talker while under and tell them your deep desires. 

40 minutes ago, pds said:

Two knee operations. One with local anaesthetic which was hell. 

General was brilliant. Talking away to the doctor then waking up with it all done. I woke up laughing hysterically not believing it was done. Felt absolutely fine. 

I woke up laughing my head off as well, there was some woman opposite me who wasn’t enjoying herself so much but I thought it was hilarious.

RI've had it multiple times, absolute bliss. Although I remember one time waking up the two nurses were talking to each other and I kept trying to reply which was fun.

When I (badly) broke my ankle they offered me a local, injected directly into my spine, which was horrendous. Being awake for such a long surgery was bad too, kept feeling my hip vibrate, hearing like saws and shit, although I never actually saw what they were doing. If you or anyone ever has this as an option do not take it!

12 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Has anyone in here been put under...if so what's it like? 

Getting put to sleep in a few months and I'm beginning to wonder /worry. 

Shit !!!have you read my posts...I am permanently under anaesthetic.!!!:jump:

• Haha 1

I had it at the dentist when I was a young lad and it's not a bad experience falling asleep - far worse is the worry before hand that is not needed. It's not like actually going to bed at night where the transition is 20 minutes or so, you literally feel the needle and it's kind of a natural feeling of just switching off with no fear or anything. 

You'll be fine.