Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxile5

Anaesthetic

1 minute ago, foxile5 said:

Has anyone in here been put under...if so what's it like? 

Getting put to sleep in a few months and I'm beginning to wonder /worry. 

It's like sleeping.

Far better than the alternative.

Your only worry should be if they don't anaesthetise you enough. :D

Coming out you'll feel groggy and detached but then reality will hit you.

23 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

I was put under for an operation when I was 15. I had a butterfly valve put onto my hand. When they injected the Anaesthetic I felt it travelling up my arm like a cold snap. Nothing uncomfortable about it though it was fine.

The Doctor was asking me which football team I supported and I answered Leicester, next thing I know I am waking up on my way back to the Ward. Felt tired but overall was fine.

You have nothing to worry about. 

I love it.

Been under anaesthetic many times over the years.

The feeling of the cold rush going up your arm as you stare at the ceiling is lush. 

Waking up high on morphine is pretty cool too.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Worry ye not ...  they know what they are doing and all you need to do is lay back and relax ...   think of something that makes you happy (recent City win maybe), and nothing else.   My missus has been put under loads of times ...   the last time the doctor did stress (several times) that there was a very good chance she would not survive ...   thats when you have to worry ...    :thumbup:

I had it as a kid. Must have been about 7.

One of the nurses put a book infront of my face and told me to read the page out loud to her. Definitely didn't finish it. Knocked me out cold and all I remember is waking up 1 second later.

1 minute ago, AKCJ said:

I had it as a kid. Must have been about 7.

One of the nurses put a book infront of my face and told me to read the page out loud to her. Definitely didn't finish it. Knocked me out cold and all I remember is waking up 1 second later.

Blimey that was some quick op !!   :o

Had it once when I had to remove my appendix.

It doesn't feel like sleeping where your body takes time but rather losing consciousness like getting knocked out. Not an uncomfortable thing to experience tbh. (The anaesthetic part I mean, not the getting ko'ed part)

The "feeling of dropping from a high place" is real In my experience.

Edited by the fox

You have nothing at all to worry about. I've been put under a few times and only encountered problems once - i was 10 years old at the time and thought it would be fun to try to fight against it to see if i could stay awake. They were unable to do the procedure because apparently i kept giggling and fidgeting on the table lol

Just relax and let it take you away

Edited by TiffToff88

Please take it from a theatre and ICU nurse of a decade, don't worry! You are in very safe hands and although no one wants to have surgery, at least you get some nice opiates. You'll get brought into the anaesthetic room which is a little room next to the operating theatre, you'll be having a chat with the anaesthetist and before you know it it'll all be over.

Depending on what surgery you are having you'll probably wake up slowly in the recovery room, you won't remember much of that part. You might get a bit of IV re-hydration and maybe some pain killers if you're a bit sore. A few people feel a bit sick, but there's lots of drugs to fix that too.

Seriously try not to worry too much promise. :thumbup:

• Like 1

It's really weird watching someone else have it. My son had his tonsils out at the Spire hospital. The doctor was a Geordie and asked him if he was a Leicester fan. He said "when you wake up you'll be a Newcastle fan!". He then injected something in the port in his wrist and Tom just instantly went to sleep. Scary but everything was ok.

2 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

I was put under for an operation when I was 15. I had a butterfly valve put onto my hand. When they injected the Anaesthetic I felt it travelling up my arm like a cold snap. Nothing uncomfortable about it though it was fine.

The Doctor was asking me which football team I supported and I answered Leicester, next thing I know I am waking up and someone was telling me we'd won the Premier League!

• Haha 1

I had it when I was had an operation aged 3, but I don't remember it. I had a squint in my eye, so back then, they used to cut open your eyeball, go in, shorten the muscle and stitch you back up. Now days they just go in through the side of the nose apparently, sounds a lot less gory.

1 hour ago, the fox said:

Had it once when I had to remove my appendix.

It doesn't feel like sleeping where your body takes time but rather losing consciousness like getting knocked out. Not an uncomfortable thing to experience tbh. (The anaesthetic part I mean, not the getting ko'ed part)

The "feeling of dropping from a high place" is real In my experience.

You removed your OWN appendix????? 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I had it when I was had an operation aged 3, but I don't remember it. I had a squint in my eye, so back then, they used to cut open your eyeball, go in, shorten the muscle and stitch you back up. Now days they just go in through the side of the nose apparently, sounds a lot less gory.

I'm pretty sure some surgeons must be sadists to be good at their job.