Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
brisfox

The fate of Bury and Bolton- could we/should we help?

Sadly any handouts would be like sticking the proverbial finger in the dam.

The problem lies firmly with the EFL, structuring and lack of proper due dilligence until it's too late.

I feel gutted for the fans and all connected to the 2 clubs and if proper structures aren't implemented, and sharpish, this will keep happening and the lower leagues will be ravaged including some Championship clubs chasing the rainbow!

Edited by Bluetintedspecs

31 minutes ago, brisfox said:

I agree with the fact that the club themselves are to blame (Bury FC are now a dead duck), however, the fans are blameless and it's them who I'm interested in helping. Remember, others came to our aid in times of need 17 years ago. Any money raised should go to AFC Bury or whatever a new club is called. So guys and gals, do we help or not?

Help a supporters trust get up and running? Absolutely

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stoopid said:

A lot of this mess goes back to Stewart Day, Bury's previous owner and the bloke who 'sold ' Bury to Dale for £1.

Basically financing their promotion last season with loans against his property companies payable in shares not interest. When these companies went bust there was nothing to pay the expensive players they'd recruited.

Add to that a dodgy mortgage taken against Gigg Lane & it's little wonder prospective buyers have taken one look at the situation and walked away shaking their heads.

The situation is more analogous to Cov City than our own administration.  The Sky Blues & their fans should be very worried this morning...

This is the point... there is far more history to this situation than is being presented in today's reports. I just had a message from my Bury supporting mate who said exactly the same thing "Dale was only in it for himself but the problems started before him".

There are around 100 football clubs in this country in the league or recently in the league, and they are all individual businesses. Some will be better run than others, and if 95% are run well enough to get by (which I doubt) then 5% or 5 clubs will be in a mess - and it is their fault - either through gambling or through bad business decisions, and as gutting as it is for the fans, it is wrong for well run businesses to pay to cover those that make bad decisions.

We've seen it with Newport and Wimbledon that a football club is all about having a team out there on the pitch and having fans turn up and watch. The current Bury FC may die, but the club can live on. My mum is from Newport and I've followed them over the years (1st game was in 1987 in the old Div 3: actually v's Bury as it happens) - and as gutting as it was for them, the fans rallied round, formed a club and they are now back where they were having had a lot of fun along the way: descending on non-league clubs with twice the support with a real community feel. (Think of it as our tier 3 adventure but far more extreme).

If a true fan based ownership can be set up, then I think we should all do our best to support the new club and get it going in whatever way we can - but we can;t do it at this point while it is in the hands of a asset stripper like Dale.

• Like 3

However badly clubs are run, it does seem obscene that a football club can go out of business whilst others are paying 100 million for one player, and paying players 300,000 a week salaries.

Owners come along, often local people who have supported the club, but either do not have the huge finances, or totally under estimate how difficult and expensive it is, to run a football club. 

I'm surprised anyone would want to own anything other than a P/L club, and even those are risky looking at how recently Bolton were there, as well as Blackburn, who are one of only six clubs to win the P/L and they are struggling.

You might as well just throw the money away owning a club in the lower leagues.

As sad as it is to see clubs that have been around over a hundred years go under it is just a reflection of todays economic climate.Football Clubs are businesses and look what is happening , businesses all over going bust big names as well.I'm afraid this may just be the start of a lot of smaller clubs going out of existence!

Got to feel for the fans, Bury were promoted last season? and I bet a fair few fans forked out for shirts and season tickets just to see their club destroyed by a parasite who will just move on.

The Bolton fans must be sick because they are going the same way.

1 hour ago, ThaiFox said:

However badly clubs are run, it does seem obscene that a football club can go out of business whilst others are paying 100 million for one player, and paying players 300,000 a week salaries.

There is definitely a limit to how badly you can run a club and expect to survive. This guy seems to have regarded it as a risk-free way of maybe making some money, and didn’t give a damn whether the club prospered or not.

I guess if you’re not at least *trying* to improve things (see Newcastle comments about wanting a club that tries), you really shouldn’t be in charge. 

Another reason to reflect gratefully on our association with Vichai and Top...

4 hours ago, brisfox said:

I agree with the fact that the club themselves are to blame (Bury FC are now a dead duck), however, the fans are blameless and it's them who I'm interested in helping. Remember, others came to our aid in times of need 17 years ago. Any money raised should go to AFC Bury or whatever a new club is called. So guys and gals, do we help or not?

I think we should. 

I remember vividly when our administration was announced, and we were facing the same extinction. It was horrible, and everybody felt powerless. 

If everyone in the country who went to a PL game, or watched it on tv gave 50p, and everyone who streamed it illegally gave £2, we could give Bury Supporters Trust a flying start to getting their club back up and running again. 

But obviously absolutely not a single penny to the current or past owners...