Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
smileysharad

Brexit!

14 hours ago, HappyHamza said:

Australian FORMER Prime Minister on brexit trade deal. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.smh.com.au/world/europe/no-economic-bonanza-julia-gillard-pours-cold-water-on-trade-deal-20191004-p52xun.html

"I do worry that people are starting to imagine that a trade deal with Australia is somehow a substitute for being on the doorstep of a market with 500 million people - it's not," she said.

Gillard said the UK was at the back of the queue when it came to Australia's preferred trading partners, of China, Japan, US, Korea, India, New Zealand and Singapore.

"So if a trade deal boosts that a bit, fabulous but it's not going to be a huge economic bonanza," she said.

It does worry me that so many seem to have missed out on geography lessons at school ....

if you want an example of this then just look at what you do for a living and think about where the vast majority of your customers/clients come from (ie. where they live).

of course some of you will have jobs where this isn’t relevant but for the vast majority it’s true.

On 05/10/2019 at 10:53, Jon the Hat said:

While I have sympathy for those of you with European other halves, filling in a form is not difficult.  When they start charging £4000 you can start moaning.  I have spent about £12k all in on visas and so on in both directions with my Australian wife.  Suck it up and recognise the free settlement offer for what it is, which is an amazingly good deal in comparison to what the rest of us have paid.  The worst irony is had I been an EU citizen with an Australian wife it would have cost me about 10% of what it had.

Also most people complaining are not being denied settled status, they are being asked for evidence.  Not the same thing.

You're right, it is a good deal. That's why it's so frustrating to have it taken away for seemingly no good reason. Then you have shitbags like Priti Patel smugly announcing abolishing it like it's a great thing.

Knowing that people in other circumstances have it harder doesn't make it any better, there's always someone who is worse off.

The whole system is a shambles, you ring up the helpline and the people on the other end have no idea what's going on either.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, HappyHamza said:

Australian FORMER Prime Minister on brexit trade deal. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.smh.com.au/world/europe/no-economic-bonanza-julia-gillard-pours-cold-water-on-trade-deal-20191004-p52xun.html

"I do worry that people are starting to imagine that a trade deal with Australia is somehow a substitute for being on the doorstep of a market with 500 million people - it's not," she said.

Gillard said the UK was at the back of the queue when it came to Australia's preferred trading partners, of China, Japan, US, Korea, India, New Zealand and Singapore.

"So if a trade deal boosts that a bit, fabulous but it's not going to be a huge economic bonanza," she said.

That would be a concern if we were somehow moving the UK so it was no longer on the doorstep I guess?  There is a reason why she is no longer PM.

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

That would be a concern if we were somehow moving the UK so it was no longer on the doorstep I guess?  There is a reason why she is no longer PM.

Yes.  And no deal - because we currently haven't offered any deal that is even close to being acceptable or that deals with the fundamental problems that relate to the Irish border - will mean our exports have tariffs applied into the market of 500m.

Edited by HappyHamza
  • Like 1

To save time, today's Scottish court judgement is that there is no need to force Boris into complying with the Benn Act because via his lawyers Boris told the court that he agreed he was subject to this law and that it would be followed  by him.

Effectively, woe betide him if he decides to do anything else. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HappyHamza said:

Yes.  And no deal - because we currently haven't offered any deal that is even close to being acceptable or that deals with the fundamental problems that relate to the Irish border - will mean our exports have tariffs applied into the market of 500m.

At already lower exchange rates. We have covered this numerous times.

No deal is indeed the best outcome now - the EU have shown their true colours - they never wanted a reasonable deal for us, just one which keeps us captive.  Time to leave with no deal and make our way from there.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HappyHamza said:

To save time, today's Scottish court judgement is that there is no need to force Boris into complying with the Benn Act because via his lawyers Boris told the court that he agreed he was subject to this law and that it would be followed  by him.

Effectively, woe betide him if he decides to do anything else. 

Interesting times!  I wonder how effective this will be if the PM writes the letter but accompanies it with a notice that they will not pay any further monies to the EU until or unless a deal is concluded, and that they appoint Farage as EU commissioner in the meantime, and he will veto any business put before him. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Interesting times!  I wonder how effective this will be if the PM writes the letter but accompanies it with a notice that they will not pay any further monies to the EU until or unless a deal is concluded, and that they appoint Farage as EU commissioner in the meantime, and he will veto any business put before him. :)

And you think acting like that would bring about the ideal situation to negotiate a free trade deal after brexit?

:nigel:

Edited by HappyHamza
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest MattP
6 minutes ago, HappyHamza said:

And you think acting like that would bring about the ideal situation to negotiate a free trade deal after brexit?

:nigel:

At least acting like that might actually help to get Brexit done 

Everybody knows the law created by the surrender bill is just more pointless delay with many of the liars in parliament using it with the intention of overturning the verdict given by the electorate in 2016.

Guest MattP
10 minutes ago, bovril said:

If you assume that Brexit is a single event we 'do' rather than an incredibly long, drawn-out and painful process. 

Passing the withdrawal agreement through parliament is something we just "do" - then legally we have left and we can move into transition whilst we hopefully head towards a close relationship with the European Union that also allows us independent trade.

56 minutes ago, MattP said:

Passing the withdrawal agreement through parliament is something we just "do" - then legally we have left and we can move into transition whilst we hopefully head towards a close relationship with the European Union that also allows us independent trade.

The WA is just a milestone surely, it's not Brexit in itself. Correct me if I'm wrong but the WA still doesn't solve the issue of a hard border. And it still hasn't been made clear what a close relationship with the EU means and how that's going to be achieved with the UK's red lines.

Again maybe I'm missing something but 3 years down the line I still don't see any realistic proposals on how we're going to get clean break, close relationship, independent trade and an open Irish border. The onus is on us, that's kind of the point of Brexit, isn't it? We make our rules. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

So a GE just delivers another hung parliament ......... there is no solution to this situation which is good for anyone really ........ 

noticed that the project fear mob are back on stream re a no deal brexit ..... that’s the problem with crying wolf to excess..... but this time little red riding hood is really going to be fooked,  starting to wonder what happens with a GE in the chaotic aftermarth of a no deal brexit .....  have Corbyns strategists worked out that this might be a good time to have a GE ???

Guest MattP
15 hours ago, bovril said:

The WA is just a milestone surely, it's not Brexit in itself. Correct me if I'm wrong but the WA still doesn't solve the issue of a hard border. And it still hasn't been made clear what a close relationship with the EU means and how that's going to be achieved with the UK's red lines.

Again maybe I'm missing something but 3 years down the line I still don't see any realistic proposals on how we're going to get clean break, close relationship, independent trade and an open Irish border. The onus is on us, that's kind of the point of Brexit, isn't it? We make our rules. 

Passing the WA means we legally leave the European Union, it then removes the option of revocation of Article 50 - which is why so many in parliament are simply refusing to do it and trying to base it on nonsense excuses like demands for protections from a government they know wouldn't be legally binding anyway.

The onus is not on us at this point in time at all - our government has submitted a proposal and we are waiting on the European Union for a response.

29 minutes ago, HappyHamza said:

So second ref/remain parties are the majority.

Makes sense given how far ahead remain is in the polls now. 

I thought Labour were a "neutral" party on the issue - or do they turn into a Remain one as soon as we try to argue the country has changed it's mind?

1 hour ago, MattP said:

I thought Labour were a "neutral" party on the issue - or do they turn into a Remain one as soon as we try to argue the country has changed it's mind?

Depends who you frame it I guess, Labour have said they're amicable to a second referendum so it makes sense lumping them in with the Libs.

3 hours ago, MattP said:

Passing the WA means we legally leave the European Union, it then removes the option of revocation of Article 50 - which is why so many in parliament are simply refusing to do it and trying to base it on nonsense excuses like demands for protections from a government they know wouldn't be legally binding anyway.

The onus is not on us at this point in time at all - our government has submitted a proposal and we are waiting on the European Union for a response.

They have responded apparently, point by point.

The WA was agreed by the UK government and the EU but that seems to be completely dead.