Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

FT General Election Poll 2019

FT General Election 2019  

501 members have voted

1. 1. Which party will be getting your vote?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Brexit Party
    • Green Party
    • Other

22 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I dislike both parties immensely at the moment, and won't vote for either. My issues are with this new style of Trump politics, it's beyond and joke and into the realms of the down right scary and there is only one party doing that. I'd rather have someone in charge, who whilst being a bit of an idiot and misguided, isn't entering into the type of politics I've mentioned. 

Frankly even bringing up racism, when "water melon smile", "piccaninny", "letterbox" Johnson is on your side is a bit glass house.

Are we still on that?  I don't see how people can misquote the guy so much.  He uses journalistic prose to make a point.  The actual quote for example was:

"What a relief it must be for Blair to get out of England. It is said that the Queen has come to love the Commonwealth, partly because it supplies her with regular cheering crowds of flag-waving piccaninnies; and one can imagine that Blair, twice victor abroad but enmired at home, is similarly seduced by foreign politeness.

They say he is shortly off to the Congo. No doubt the AK47s will fall silent, and the pangas will stop their hacking of human flesh, and the tribal warriors will all break out in watermelon smiles to see the big white chief touch down in his big white British taxpayer-funded bird. Like Zeus, back there in the Iliad, he has turned his shining eyes away, far over the lands of the Hippemolgoi, the drinkers of mares' milk. He has forgotten domestic affairs, and here, as it happens, in this modest little country that elected him, hell has broken loose."

Not exactly as quoted is it?

Edited by Jon the Hat
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Vulpine Victor said:

I voted leave, on the basis that the parties would be sensible. Ideally I wanted a customs union to protect trade and jobs. The complete mess May and Boris (who sabotaged all May’s attempts)have made show that no one had any idea what mad agreements they would make, certainly not theDUP. The only sensible way forward is to agree terms with the EU and then let the population vote if they still want to leave or remain. This time with actual facts to go on, not the lies put out by Farage, Boris and Cummings.

And obviously without the lies told by all those on the remain side too?

Boris was elected late and sorted a deal (which most on here said he was lying about).

EDIT: Ah, I've just read your other posts, yep, you're definitely a leaver lollol

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

19 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

what was your point? that everyone should be nice to poor old boris? well my "argument" against that point is that he should stop being such a cu nt. 

he should be able to campaign without being shouted down and potentially assualted.  You don't agree?

8 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Yes. All ScouseFox does is hurl profanitylol It must be a Scouse thing.

I once debated politics in Liverpool, he's actually polite when judged to the median.

6 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Perhaps Boris was just looking for his oven-ready Brexit deal?

lol

Best joke of the election for me this.

44 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I agree, but the fact they're going to be elected says a lot about the opposition too. BoJo isn't popular, neither are the conservatives, but there isn't an alternative which is better for the majority of voters.

And this has been the case for years to be honest! 

Any proper strong leader of any party would have been able to take down May and Boris much quicker and more efficiently than Corbyn. Sad state of affairs that it's come to how it has to be honest. 

9 minutes ago, Strokes said:

It was a cold room, not like a fridge left at the side of the road. Which is what I was hoping when I first read it lol

I'm well aware of that lol can you imagine Boris jammed in that kind of fridge?! 

Before I saw the pictures I imagined it was some kind of industrial fridge room! 

13 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

he should be able to campaign without being shouted down and potentially assualted.  You don't agree?

What are you on about? Have you even seen what people are referring to?

He was running and hiding from a GMB reporter (who was being pushed and shoved by his minders I might add) not a 'Labour protest mob'.

A little debate with a Labour supporter via my FB.

Me: Labour are losing because of their leader, some of their policies and the fact they left the country bankrupt last time they were in office.

Labour Supporter: How old are you?

Me: Old enough, why's it matter?

Labour Supporter: You don't look old enough to earn 80k a year.

Me: Ah the mythical threshhold for the new taxes? Which were proven factually incorrect weeks ago.

Labour Supporter: Well if you don't earn more than 80k, then you're a thick **** for voting Tory. If you do earn more than 80k then you're a selfish ****.

Me: :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Are we still on that?  I don't see how people can misquote the guy so much.  He uses journalistic prose to make a point.  The actual quote for example was:

"What a relief it must be for Blair to get out of England. It is said that the Queen has come to love the Commonwealth, partly because it supplies her with regular cheering crowds of flag-waving piccaninnies; and one can imagine that Blair, twice victor abroad but enmired at home, is similarly seduced by foreign politeness.

They say he is shortly off to the Congo. No doubt the AK47s will fall silent, and the pangas will stop their hacking of human flesh, and the tribal warriors will all break out in watermelon smiles to see the big white chief touch down in his big white British taxpayer-funded bird. Like Zeus, back there in the Iliad, he has turned his shining eyes away, far over the lands of the Hippemolgoi, the drinkers of mares' milk. He has forgotten domestic affairs, and here, as it happens, in this modest little country that elected him, hell has broken loose."

Not exactly as quoted is it?

I mean, you could say that without the racist bollocks journalistic prose couldn't you. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I mean, you could say that without the racist bollocks journalistic prose couldn't you. 

You could, but then you wouldn't be making the point about imperialistic Brits and their reasons for travelling to Commonwealth countries I guess.  Are we that sensitive than even the lambasting of racist sterotypes to make a point is racist?  I am unconvinced.

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Articles like that are why people buy The Spectator though. 

He was the forerunner to Rod Liddle etc humorous satirical pieces that you get excited to read, sometimes shocking. Can we all write things with the fact we might be PM one day in mind? Satire has always been close to the edge, Bernie Sanders could be the next US President and he once wrote a story about a woman fantasising about being gang raped.

Personally I like the freedom of expression being pushed to its limit, I wish someone would have the guts to wrote a novel like Lolita in this day and age - bit we've become a society desperate to censor, so we'll never have another Nobikov.

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

He was the forerunner to Rod Liddle etc humorous satirical pieces that you get excited to read, sometimes shocking. Can we all write things with the fact we might be PM one day in mind? Satire has always been close to the edge, Bernie Sanders could be the next US President and he once wrote a story about a woman fantasising about being gang raped.

Personally I like the freedom of expression being pushed to its limit, I wish someone would have the guts to wrote a novel like Lolita in this day and age - bit we've become a society desperate to censor, so we'll never have another Nobikov.

Whodyanikabolokov?

17 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

A little debate with a Labour supporter via my FB.

Me: Labour are losing because of their leader, some of their policies and the fact they left the country bankrupt last time they were in office.

Labour Supporter: How old are you?

Me: Old enough, why's it matter?

Labour Supporter: You don't look old enough to earn 80k a year.

Me: Ah the mythical threshhold for the new taxes? Which were proven factually incorrect weeks ago.

Labour Supporter: Well if you don't earn more than 80k, then you're a thick **** for voting Tory. If you do earn more than 80k then you're a selfish ****.

Me: :D

Politics discussion on FB? 

More fool you ;)

10 minutes ago, MattP said:

It was the Telegraph in fact, but controversy is what they paid him for.

Man, Fridgegate is just too much. lol

So things he's scared of:

- Andrew Neil interview

- Piers Morgan interview

- Jeremy Vine interview

- Phone images of kids being treated on NHS floors

- Questions about how many kids he has

Things he's not scared of:

- Being locked in a fridge

Alexander de Pfeffel has to be the biggest coward of a politician we've ever seen. I can't remember anybody in a position of power just outright refusing to be scrutinised in the way he has throughout this campaign.

Is it because his people know he's barely able to string a sentence together and is likely to put his foot in it at a crucial time? Probably. The cynic in me wonders whether they're orchestrated carefully as distraction techniques: If we're concentrated on what he hasn't said, then we're not talking about what he has.

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

Man, Fridgegate is just too much. lol

So things he's scared of:

- Andrew Neil interview

- Piers Morgan interview

- Jeremy Vine interview

- Phone images of kids being treated on NHS floors

- Questions about how many kids he has

Things he's not scared of:

- Being locked in a fridge

Alexander de Pfeffel has to be the biggest coward of a politician we've ever seen. I can't remember anybody in a position of power just outright refusing to be scrutinised in the way he has throughout this campaign.

Is it because his people know he's barely able to string a sentence together and is likely to put his foot in it at a crucial time? Probably. The cynic in me wonders whether they're orchestrated carefully as distraction techniques. 

This is all going to become much worse once he's got his majority. The man is simply used to getting whatever he wants and will do and say anything to get it. The way the Tories have carried on with the way they've hidden from scrutiny and actively put out disinformation has been alarming. Make no mistake - this campaign is the rehearsal for what they hope to get away with if they have the numbers. We can't say we weren't warned...

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

This is all going to become much worse once he's got his majority. The man is simply used to getting whatever he wants and will do and say anything to get it. The way the Tories have carried on with the way they've hidden from scrutiny and actively put out disinformation has been alarming. Make no mistake - this campaign is the rehearsal for what they hope to get away with if they have the numbers. We can't say we weren't warned...

Both Cons and Labour have actively put out false information all throughout this election.

• Like 1