Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

FT General Election Poll 2019

FT General Election 2019  

501 members have voted

1. 1. Which party will be getting your vote?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Brexit Party
    • Green Party
    • Other

Just now, Sol thewall Bamba said:

So she should report the sources on both sides to the Police as well then for telling her surely? 

I would say so.

I'll point out that I don't actually care either way, I'm not voting for either Labour or Tory.

But it's not really 'on'. She shouldn't be reporting this sort of thing, it appears to be an attempt to dissuade Labour voters on the face of it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MattP said:

Speculating about postal votes is now illegal? If Labour sources say they are looking pretty grim I think she's allowed to report it.

Some of these Labour activists are losing the plot when it comes to her.

Being as NOBODY is allowed to view postal votes, then without breaking the law or at th every least electoral rules how can anybody speculate on them - unless they've seen them?

PS. I'm not a Labour activist. I wouldn't in any other GE even vote for Labour.

6 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

She reporting what she's been told, so I doubt this even applies to her - she wasn't there.

The bit I saw, she even said: whilst it doesn't look good for Labour a lot of postal votes are elderly people who are more likely to Tory. So take it all with a pinch of salt.

4 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I would say so.

I'll point out that I don't actually care either way, I'm not voting for either Labour or Tory.

But it's not really 'on'. She shouldn't be reporting this sort of thing, it appears to be an attempt to dissuade Labour voters on the face of it.

I'd agree, if either side has looked and leaked it then yes that's clearly very bad.

I would think however that the outrage would be much, much less if she had said things were looking grim for the Tories. 

I'd agree, if either side has looked and leaked it then yes that's clearly very bad.

I would think however that the outrage would be much, much less if she had said things were looking grim for the Tories. 

Ultimately that depends where you're looking really doesn't it?

6 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

Being as NOBODY is allowed to view postal votes, then without breaking the law or at th every least electoral rules how can anybody speculate on them - unless they've seen them?

PS. I'm not a Labour activist. I wouldn't in any other GE even vote for Labour.

How would I vote if I can’t view it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

This is more like it. Some postal vote drama. NO SNEAKING A PEAK! Don't see how it matters though, not like the postal votes will change eh. 

Suspect they actually looked at who voted and compared to their data on who they support, not opening the envelope with the ballot paper in it.  Surely?  Dodgy as otherwise.

6 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

It wouldn't have been mentioned.

Amazing isn't it? Peterborough by election there is widespread allegations of postal voting fraud, someone sent to prison for that offence plays a part in the Labour campaign, people are photographed going to mosque with the ballot papers and we don't hear a thing.

"Tory Laura" quotes a source on the BBC and they immediately want the police involved. 

No postal votes would have been counted yet, the ones that come in before the day get verified and then put into a sealed ballot box until the close of poll. To see a ballot you'd have to watch like a hawk as the person verifying the ballot paper (with the ballot face down) takes it out of the envelope and puts it on the table to check the ballot paper number. Anyone who's seen cast votes in that situation can only have seen a very small number, with no added information on where the vote came from and who cast it.

That said it's still a breach of electoral law and really a bit irresponsible for her to have said that, even if it can't be based on much.

Edited by ealingfox
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

It wouldn't have been mentioned.

Amazing isn't it? Peterborough by election there is widespread allegations of postal voting fraud, someone sent to prison for that offence plays a part in the Labour campaign, people are photographed going to mosque with the ballot papers and we don't hear a thing.

"Tory Laura" quotes a source on the BBC and they immediately want the police involved. 

It was investigated.

6 minutes ago, MattP said:

Eh? Pretty sure there was a lot of stuff said at the time lol 

Thought Tories didn't like all this 'whataboutery' as well...

• Like 1

Once again she'd being shown up as out of her depth (I don't think she's biased, just incompetent).

Fed up of saying this, but... yes I'd be saying the same thing if she'd reported it was "looking grim for the Tories".

Quite a few reasonable people (not headbanging Momentum conspiracy theorists who think the whole world's against them) saying they've given up on the BBC as a trusted news source this campaign. Such a sad state of affairs - again, not down to any idea of bias but just because they feel the standards of reporting have slipped so badly recently.

• Like 2

Just now, StanSP said:

Eh? Pretty sure there was a lot of stuff said at the time lol 

Thought Tories didn't like all this 'whataboutery' as well...

It's the hypocrisy of it. 

They basically don't give a shit when it's the other way.

30 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Once again she'd being shown up as out of her depth (I don't think she's biased, just incompetent).

Fed up of saying this, but... yes I'd be saying the same thing if she'd reported it was "looking grim for the Tories".

Quite a few reasonable people (not headbanging Momentum conspiracy theorists who think the whole world's against them) saying they've given up on the BBC as a trusted news source this campaign. Such a sad state of affairs - again, not down to any idea of bias but just because they feel the standards of reporting have slipped so badly recently.

I don't think it stops with the BBC mate, it's all been garbage. 

I don't think it stops with the BBC mate, it's all been garbage. 

Sky have been absolutely shocking. Beth Rigby's Twitter feed may as well be ran by the Labour press office.

4 hours ago, Vulpine Victor said:

I voted leave, on the basis that the parties would be sensible. Ideally I wanted a customs union to protect trade and jobs. The complete mess May and Boris (who sabotaged all May’s attempts)have made show that no one had any idea what mad agreements they would make, certainly not theDUP. The only sensible way forward is to agree terms with the EU and then let the population vote if they still want to leave or remain. This time with actual facts to go on, not the lies put out by Farage, Boris and Cummings.

See I voted leave for a clean break as I believe the way the EU is run is fundamentally flawed and in undemocratic. This is where the problem lies we all voted for different things but the only thing we know for sure is there was a majority for leave which is why I don’t mind the prospect of another vote just I don’t think remain should be an option. 

An interesting idea would be is if Labour, Lib Dem, Conservative, green and brexit parties were allowed to negotiate their own forms of brexit then they can all be put to the people in a  referendum using a single transferable vote system. That’s something I could get behind if practical.

We NeEd 2 GeT bReXit DuN! 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-delay-boris-johnson-deal-general-election-eu-barnier-leak-deadline-a9242346.html?fbclid=IwAR0OBT0d1rWlWwH62rQ-C0m_V2YeMtw441jqF7FRgcwBCpNeEnTmf2yLK8M

We were never going to be properly "out" until we're through the transition and it looks like that period will last a lot longer than he's saying it will.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

She's not really revealed much, she said along the lines of "postal votes are in, neither party are meant to look at them but they both have" and then said that  quote "on both side people are telling me that the postal votes that are in are looking pretty grim for Labour". 

Not really that surprising either as most postal votes are probably going to be from elederly people like my mother who votes Tory every time.