Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

FT General Election Poll 2019

FT General Election 2019  

501 members have voted

1. 1. Which party will be getting your vote?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Brexit Party
    • Green Party
    • Other

2 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

JE - Does the truth matter in this election ? 

BJ - I think it does 

Ladies and gentleman, I give you Fact Check Uk - an independent, impartial and reliable service to ensure that you are getting the truth from your politicians - apparently 

That's the most alarming thing to come out of last night. If you vote Tory you should be at the very least embarrassed, if not outright appalled, at a stunt like that.

8 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

That's the most alarming thing to come out of last night. If you vote Tory you should be at the very least embarrassed, if not outright appalled, at a stunt like that.

It was daft I’ll give you that,  but I don’t think anyone was taken in by it do you?

1 hour ago, Mike Oxlong said:

You’d think they might have learnt their lesson after the Starmer video edit ! 

I think they're past the point of caring now. More depressingly, I think most voters are too...

Twitter say it's their last warning, and I hope they mean that.  It's beyond the stage of being "just not on", it's downright wrong.

37 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Something being "daft" would be a mistake, and Cleverly has already defended the decision. This was a deliberate attempt to mislead, which is how Twitter has seen it.

You're right in saying most wouldn't get taken in by it, but we all know idiots who'll believe and share anything they see on social media (goes for people on the left too). There's simply no other explanation for it than they were hoping to get a few people too ignorant or thick to perform basic checks on the source of the information to nod their heads in agreement and share the tweets.

Daft as in they thought it was a good idea, and it was a stupid idea, as it was always going to come back and bite them.  I doubt they were hoping that, they probably thought those who follow a press twitter account would get the joke.  Like I said, daft idea.

Just now, Swan Lesta said:

From the Lib Dem tweet to the Tory factshit they level of integrity in British politics is absolutely rock bottom disgusting. Have they not learnt anything from lies on red buses and instead just gone to the Trump school of inventing a truth, ignoring anything else and when it becomes particularly threatening, just discrediting it by labelling it fake news?

How the fvck has British politics and British politicians become this low. This isn’t an election, it’s like choosing between two dying dogs which one to euthanise and which to die slowly, painfully and publicly.

It really isn't anything like Trump level of nonsense.  Unless you count Corbyn STILL trying to make out the Conservatives are going to sell the NHS, whatever the hell that even means.  Not happening, and they know it isn't.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Daft as in they thought it was a good idea, and it was a stupid idea, as it was always going to come back and bite them.  I doubt they were hoping that, they probably thought those who follow a press twitter account would get the joke.  Like I said, daft idea.

And just a purely pointless thing to do. 

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

You're being too kind. Cleverly has already offered up an official explanation, and it wasn't that.

15 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

You're being too kind. Cleverly has already offered up an official explanation, and it wasn't that.

And Raab saying apparently noone cares about the 'social media cut and thrust'. 

They just don't get it do they? 

Just when I thought UK politics couldn't get any lower. 

The Fact Check debacle undermined democracy. Its sole purpose was to deceive, and undermine the veracity of genuine fact-checkers. It's morally bankrupt at best, criminal at worst.

They have no problem demanding that social media platforms end disinformation when it suits them, yet they pull this. It's desperate, it's the sort of shit I wouldn't even expect from Trump's clowns in the US, and it's a total dystopian fvcking nightmare.

Last night, Johnson had the audacity to say that "the truth matters" (at which point the audience openly laughed at him, BTW). Him and his party are lying fvcking scum, and this country is fvcked.

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

And Raab saying apparently noone cares about the 'social media cut and thrust'. 

They just don't get it do they? 

They do get it though, that's the problem. They know exactly what they're doing, and very few journalists (it would be unfair to say none at all) seem to be calling them out on such blatant contradictions like that.

• Sad 1

I've seen posts on social media with thousands of interactions that are clearly untrue, but people have gobbled them up. I remember seeing a picture doing the rounds during the US election of Hilary Clinton and Osama Bin Laden that thousands seemingly believed to be true, for example. 

This week alone numerous people were convinced that Greta Thunberg is an alien thanks to a 'photograph' taken 100 years ago, so of course some people would have seen the posts in question and believed them instantly. 

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act"

49 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

I've seen posts on social media with thousands of interactions that are clearly untrue, but people have gobbled them up. I remember seeing a picture doing the rounds during the US election of Hilary Clinton and Osama Bin Laden that thousands seemingly believed to be true, for example. 

This week alone numerous people were convinced that Greta Thunberg is an alien thanks to a 'photograph' taken 100 years ago, so of course some people would have seen the posts in question and believed them instantly. 

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act"

"The different cardinal truths neither clash nor mesh. No one is invalidated, but nobody is right."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Of course we are, it's shameful we've ended up with this. As I'm sure the other side are embarrassed they have to go out and vote for an incompetent hard left idiot who has let antisemitism flourish in his own party and seemingly thrown his support behind every failed regime on the planet.

We all know this election is about choosing the better of two shit options.

Although the "fact check" was actually correct lol How did Corbyn not know the DUP had voted against the deal? 

Edited by MattP

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

Of course we are, it's shameful we've ended up with this. As I'm sure the other side are embarrassed they have to go out and vote for an incompetent hard left idiot who has let antisemitism flourish in his own party and seemingly thrown his support behind every failed regime on the planet.

We all know this election is about choosing the better of two shit options.

Although the "fact check" was actually correct lol How did Corbyn not know the DUP had voted against the deal? 

Regarding the DUP - it did make me chuckle when Boris was bleating on about the possibility of Labour clamoring to the SNP for power, given that the Tories handed Queen Herod £1bn to stay in power.  

5 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Regarding the DUP - it did make me chuckle when Boris was bleating on about the possibility of Labour clamoring to the SNP for power, given that the Tories handed Queen Herod £1bn to stay in power.  

And that's exactly what Corbyn will have to do as well if he wants to be PM. Because he isn't winning a majority.