Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

FT General Election Poll 2019

FT General Election 2019  

501 members have voted

1. 1. Which party will be getting your vote?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Brexit Party
    • Green Party
    • Other

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

Labour's £10/hr plan is for it to come in next year, and include all workers of any age. Tory's £10.50/hr plan is to come in over 5 years for workers over the age of 21. One is planned by a party looking to raises corporation tax to 28%, one is planned by a party looking to keep corporation tax at 19%.

Not really the same thing to anyone without an agenda to push I guess. 

Raise the corporate tax levels at the same time as setting in motion a policy to reduce the profits of corporations by up the minimum wage

15 minutes ago, MattP said:

It's certainly looking pretty good - providing he doesn't do a Theresa May Boris should be heading back to Downing Street.

I’ve never been able to see past the Tories walking the election and SNP and Lib Dem’s making major gains on Labour in terms of seats.

45 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

He needs to avoid dancing

Do you not think that it would help his image if he took a leaf out of Theresa's book - and came shimmying onto the stage to "Young, gifted and black"?

Might help people forget his comments about "piccaninnies" and "watermelon smiles", while the sight of his balding blond mop flapping about could attract sympathy from aging men in the Midlands/North....

1 hour ago, MattP said:

It's certainly looking pretty good - providing he doesn't do a Theresa May Boris should be heading back to Downing Street.

Certainly looking pretty bad, you mean.... :D

Admittedly, polls were similar at this stage before the 2017 election - and tactical voting may yet be important. But Corbyn is no longer a newcomer, tactical voting has its limits - and Labour need something to shift the polls.

Might yet happen - might even happen this evening, though all Boris needs is a dull score draw. At least he's turning up, unlike May who made 2017 a presidential campaign, then hardly appeared.

I always have to remind myself that most voters are very different to me (and you). They're often busy, sometimes frantic - and very often pay only superficial attention to politics/elections.

On a superficial level, "let's get Brexit done/over with and get on with other stuff" sounds good. Likewise, the attitude that "Boris may be a posh liar & shagger, but he has charisma & is a natural leader....so why change to someone as dubious as Jezza?"

Or even "politicians are all the same - greedy & corrupt - so why change horse in mid-stream?"

The opposition parties need something to shift narratives like that....whether that's a really popular new policy (hard to find a widely believable one) or Boris fvcking up in a debate or in public (possible - indeed, he's already done it several times, but he gets away with it, so needs to be something much worse) or some big scandal, like definitive proof that the Tories were in cahoots with Russian agents or Boris got public funds for his mistress.....and I suspect he'd get away with most things, anyway. Even a good campaign & good TV performances by Corbyn (not guaranteed) probably only limit/reduce losses without a game-changer.

1 hour ago, Swan Lesta said:

I’ve never been able to see past the Tories walking the election and SNP and Lib Dem’s making major gains on Labour in terms of seats.

Even if the SNP win almost every seat in Scotland, they'd only gain 20-odd seats....and probably won't get that many, I suspect.

To win serious numbers of extra seats, the Lib Dems will need to both overturn massive Tory majorities (15,000+) in the Remain-voting SE and take Leave-voting marginals in the SW.

I'm sure they'll do that to some extent.....but will do well to win more than 12-15 extra seats.

So, unless something changes the game, I'm afraid that I agree with your overall analysis.

SNP/Lib Dems might take 20-25 Tory seats between them. But even a smallish Lab-Con swing gives the Tories 40-50 Labour seats in North/Midlands (& Lab has little LD vote to squeeze - even if LD voters were happy to vote for Corbyn, which many are not).

Little consolation to think that Boris will probably have smashed the Tory Party for a generation within 5 years, when he'll also have probably also introduced an ultra-Hard Brexit & all sorts of nasty policies after the economy goes wrong (after 1-2 years of public spending goodies)....

2 hours ago, David Guiza said:

Not overly comfortable with how much the Tories seem to want to interfere with the judiciary based on recent comments. Dangerous precedent. 

Well, they saw how well it can work across the pond (and that hasn't even begun to start bearing fruit for US conservatives yet).

13 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

Pretty scared of the thought of Priti Patel as home secretary. 

Depends on what your view of criminal justice is, I guess - either punitive/revenge-based or rehabilitative. Patel clearly favours the former.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LiberalFox said:

Pretty scared of the thought of Priti Patel as home secretary. 

Pretty scared?

Its fvcking terrifying. I’d genuinely rather have Diane Abott running the fvcking Bank of England than her anywhere near the role of Home Secretary. 

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

If true and verified the rumours circulating with regard to the Arron Banks leaks seem potentially massive. 

Quite a grey area legally so i'll leave anyone to trudge through comments on the internet to see snippets. 

Andy Wigmore has lost his head on Twitter regarding this. 

Perhaps the worst thing to come out of all this, if indeed it is true, is that it won't change a single thing. The whole system is rotten to the core and it's utterly depressing. 

4 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Andy Wigmore has lost his head on Twitter regarding this. 

Perhaps the worst thing to come out of all this, if indeed it is true, is that it won't change a single thing. The whole system is rotten to the core and it's utterly depressing. 

Can you confirm what ‘alleged’ leaks you are talking about? Is it the DMs between him and Raab?

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

Can you confirm what ‘alleged’ leaks you are talking about? Is it the DMs between him and Raab?

Yep, hard to tell the fact from fiction (if anything is fact of course) but seems to go beyond that with money changing hands for less than favourable reasons. 

Reminds me of the finale to the Thick of It when Malcolm goes on a rant about everybody leaking and then a member of the panel going missing because details of her private life were leaked midway through the hearing. Lines between fact and fiction being blurred again. 

6 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Yep, hard to tell the fact from fiction (if anything is fact of course) but seems to go beyond that with money changing hands for less than favourable reasons. 

Reminds me of the finale to the Thick of It when Malcolm goes on a rant about everybody leaking and then a member of the panel going missing because details of her private life were leaked midway through the hearing. Lines between fact and fiction being blurred again. 

I’m not particularly great on Twitter, I struggle to navigate it understand wtf it’s all about. So unless someone else can break down exactly what is happening on it, I’m at a bit of a loss. 
All I see is people sharing screenshots of messages, that look nothing like the format of a Twitter message. Then the comments confuse me further lol