Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

FT General Election Poll 2019

FT General Election 2019  

501 members have voted

1. 1. Which party will be getting your vote?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Brexit Party
    • Green Party
    • Other

2 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

I don't want to crap on these figures, because they might well be genuine and encouraging as people get invested in politics (and many other variables), but registering to vote is only the basis.

Once they've registered it goes to the local returning Council. A lot of the time many of these people are already registered, and have done the "register to vote" because there's no context around the circumstances in which you need to vote (if that makes sense, anyway.) People see the REGISTER TO VOTE headline and fill it in, either to make sure or "just in case"

Like said, if people are genuinely registering for the first time that's fantastic, but the filtered figures without duplicates, which won't be available unless you went to every local authority, is the important number.

I've just registered to vote because I've move to a different district since the last poll, wont there be many students doing the same.

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

I'll be voting for whoever on the centre/left is most likely to get rid of the dreadful Nicky Morgan from my local area. 

Not standing apparently. Are there any Tories MPs who are standing?!

Easy vote for me - we have a Labour MP here who I have done a fair bit of work with him over the past 18 months, and thankfully off the back of that can vote for him with no hesitation. 

• Haha 1

Just bear in mind there are a big number of lefties who are currently banned from Gen Chat and unable to vote.
If they could vote on this poll, it would probably be a lot closer :)

Just now, Izzy said:

Just bear in mind there are a big number of lefties who are currently banned from Gen Chat and unable to vote.
If they could vote on this poll, it would probably be a lot closer :)

Mods should set up a special FT polling station in the Bans thread.

• Like 1

I will vote out of principle but it's the same for me. My vote will change nothing. You could put up a benefit-scrounging Romanian gypsy on benefits that causes cancer and killed Diana, if he's running for the Conservatives the people of West Norfolk will vote for him. 

Shit system. 

Edit: quoted the wrong post

Edited by bovril
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, bovril said:

I will vote out of principle but it's the same for me. My vote will change nothing. You could put up a benefit-scrounging Romanian gypsy on benefits that causes cancer and killed Diana, if he's running for the Conservatives the people of West Norfolk will vote for him. 

Shit system. 

Exactly the same situation in South Leicestershire.  There's not a cat in hells chance of someone other than Conservatives getting in again.  It's a crap system, I agree.

Would be amusing if Loughborough went away from Morgan though.

2 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

As an aside, when did Boris Johnson develop his hunchback? 

That’s what happens when you’re carrying the weight of the nation on your shoulders I guess :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Izzy said:

That’s what happens when you’re carrying the weight of the nation on your shoulders I guess :rolleyes:

Probably more to do with the fact he's worried people might eventually see him for the lying scheming **** he is.

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

As an aside, when did Boris Johnson develop his hunchback? 

The forward weight of his massive wanger has gradually taken its toll

You didn’t think it was just his rakish good looks that wooed all those women into his boudoir ? 

Edited by Mike Oxlong

Andrew Neil already on form tonight with Jo Swinson, it's a good job he's around instead of just Andrew Marr on the BBC who may as well be asking them what they have for breakfast.

"Will you join a Remain alliance with the SNP?"

"No, the SNP want to break up our Union"

"So the Remain alliance with Plaid isn't happening either this time?"

"Err, well, err that's a different situation"

Agree with all the comments regarding the system. My first vote was in a super safe tory seat, then two elections spent in a super safe labour seat, and now I'm again in super safe tory seat. The only time I've lived in a marginal there wasn't an election. I've voted every time, but really it has been utterly meaningless. 

7 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Is the BNP still around?

Not in any serious form - the old leader Nick Griffin was last heard about giving his support for Jeremy Corbyn - https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/media/2018/04/nick-griffin-declares-his-support-jeremy-corbyn

Pretty impressive from the magic Grandpa to bring in the far-left and the far-right to your cause. the Nazi's and the Communists - yet some of you are shit scared about Boris Johnson lowering corporation tax, strange times.

Just now, MattP said:

Not in any serious form - the old leader Nick Griffin was last heard about giving his support for Jeremy Corbyn - https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/media/2018/04/nick-griffin-declares-his-support-jeremy-corbyn

Pretty impressive from the magic Grandpa to bring in the far-left and the far-right to your cause. the Nazi's and the Communists - yet some of you are shit scared about Boris Johnson lowering corporation tax, strange times.

WTF, shows how rotten Labour are with there anti Semite shit......still haven't decided whether to vote for either yet,........white hoods are in fashion, especially in Kashmir

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-asia-india-50231022

7 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

I very much agree with your analysis above. I'd add that they also want a majority to introduce Hard Right policies in other spheres, not just Brexit, and to have 5 years leeway to do it. By "they", I mean the majority of Tory MPs and members; I'm not sure how ideological Johnson himself is - I'd see his motivation more as hunger for power and approval, and downright narcissism. I'm also sure that the Brexit Party would use a majority as a mandate for No Deal.

But because the Tories are cynically seeking a mandate on false pretenses, or because the Brexit Party would do the same, is no reason for the Lib Dems to deploy similar cynicism and contempt for democracy.

The Revoke policy is a sly tactic designed to win them the title of "the Remain party" so as to win votes off defecting Labour & Tory Remain supporters & so get more MPs - regardless of the cost to social cohesion or support for democratic politics, if they win a majority, or to the Remain cause if they don't.

Because if the tactic works and they are perceived as "the party for Remain voters", but they don't win enough seats for a majority, then unless tactical voting is exceptionally strong, they'll also be taking votes off Labour in Lab/Con marginals and handing seats to the Tories.

It is unfortunate to say the least that the anti Brexit vote is being split in this way. Hopefully voters opposed to this disastrous and deceitful project will find the wit to vote tactically. If sufficient people have genuinely changed their minds since 2016 so as to form a majority of the electorate, it is important that this is reflected in the profile of the new parliament. Hopefully a confirmatory vote will then put paid to this divisive economic and social vandalism.

Like you, I believe that if the final proposals for leaving the EU are genuinely supported by the majority, then it has to go ahead.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MattP said:

Ah yes, x supports y therefore y must equal x. As a Brexit voter you must appreciate how unfair that assumption is.

And by the way I am not a Corbyn supporter and still unsure who to vote for. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bovril said:

Ah yes, x supports y therefore y must equal x. As a Brexit voter you must appreciate how unfair that assumption is.

Don't waste.your vote, vote BNP, there the real New Labour

11 minutes ago, bovril said:

Just making the point it's one hell of an effort to manage to attract support from communists and neo-nazis. A miracle in fact.

It must be the kinder, gentler politics he offers.

Edited by MattP