Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

FT General Election Poll 2019

FT General Election 2019  

501 members have voted

1. 1. Which party will be getting your vote?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Brexit Party
    • Green Party
    • Other

41 minutes ago, StanSP said:

What if you don't want Brexit to happen? 

The you vote Liberal Democrat who have promised to overturn the referendum result.

Or vote Labour if you want them to renegotiate a Customs Union Brexit and have a second referendum.

Edited by MattP

29 minutes ago, MattP said:

The you vote Liberal Democrat or Green who have promised to overturn the referendum result.

My understanding is that they have different policies:

- Lib Dems: Revoke Article 50 to cancel Brexit (but open to a referendum if they don't win)

- Greens: Opposed to revocation; support a 2nd referendum, in which they'd support Remain

- Labour: Negotiate a new deal, then call 2nd referendum, in which most Labourites would support Remain, some would support the Brexit Deal

(I think SNP policy is the same as Greens?)

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Bert said:

If I vote and don’t get the result I want, can I stamp my feet and demand a revote like a spoilt little brat until I get the result that I want? That’s how it works these days isn’t it? 

That’s how it’s always worked. That’s why UKIP exists.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Alf Bentley said:

My understanding is that they have different policies:

- Lib Dems: Revoke Article 50 to cancel Brexit (but open to a referendum if they don't win)

- Greens: Opposed to revocation; support a 2nd referendum, in which they'd support Remain

- Labour: Negotiate a new deal, then call 2nd referendum, in which most Labourites would support Remain, some would support the Brexit Deal

(I think SNP policy is the same as Greens?)

Apologies, I assumed the Greens were also on the revoke bandwagon.

You are correct. - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48027580

1 minute ago, Mark_w said:

That’s how it’s always worked. That’s why UKIP exists.

Nice try, but implementation is the key, the losign side accepted the result in 1975 and didn't start throwing toys out the pram trying to stop the government in joining the common market.

You can campaign to rejoin as soon as we have left as well, nothing wrong with that at all - the spoilt brat part is trying stop a democratic vote being enacted/trying to make peope vote again as you didn't like the result.

I'll figure out who I'll vote for based on policies etc etc

But have to say I don't really see the point. Whoever gets in will basically fail to implement the majority of policies it promised minus a few. They'll protect their own and screw over anyone else. The set up needs a bloody shake up. 

1 hour ago, MattP said:

The you vote Liberal Democrat who have promised to overturn the referendum result.

Or vote Labour if you want them to renegotiate a Customs Union Brexit and have a second referendum.

So it's not going to be a wasted vote then? 

22 minutes ago, StanSP said:

So it's not going to be a wasted vote then? 

Who knows? This election could throw up absolutely chaos in so many seats. Even trying to decide tactical voting isn't easy in a lot of the seats.

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

Who knows? This election could throw up absolutely chaos in so many seats. Even trying to decide tactical voting isn't easy in a lot of the seats.

Very true Matt, I'd go as far to say that tactical voting is almost useless. I really think we'll see a massive shift even in hardcore voters of the big two parties and Lib Dems and Brexit Party are going to further upset the basket. We have four noteworthy parties that have all have at partially popular standings with voters in most areas. I see a good number of constituencies looking like Syria 2016 and a few very close margins and big upsets.

Tories have the clear advantage right now, but it's a young campaign. Will be a very interesting month.

1 hour ago, Bert said:

If I vote and don’t get the result I want, can I stamp my feet and demand a revote like a spoilt little brat until I get the result that I want? That’s how it works these days isn’t it? 

No you have to accept the result, sit in total silence whilst ensuring that you do not commit any thought crimes against the party. Oh, and what you ever do, please don't forget to do your 2 minutes of hate. Anyway, how are we getting on with that war against Eurusia, or was it Eastasia? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BlueBrett said:

I've been thinking about this quite a lot recently.

Turnout in elections has been trending upwards over the past couple of decades but what proportion of people are basing their vote on disdain for the alternative rather than actual support for one of the parties?

It's a difficult thing to quantify but I feel like it would be a huge percentage. If so, isn't the whole system just completely broken?  Decent turnouts proving the necessary illusion of legitimacy and masking the fact that the results are completely unrepresentative of what people actually want, while a mandate is nothing more than a 'best of a bad bunch' award. 

This could be solved with a ranking vote or preference system. If you really didn't want Tory or Labour or whoever, you rank them last. 

Somewhat reluctant Labour voter, but continue to see them as the lesser of 2 evils, or 4 if you extend it to the Everton (Brexit Party - often tipped for success by the lazy punter, but generally fall arse over tit and manage to disappoint even the most pessimistic of supporters. Many of the older generations still consider them to be relevant in modern football, but anybody born post 1990 can't work out why they are considered a 'big club'. Many wondering where the money has gone too)  and Spurs (Lib Dems - Often bright and look to have a real future, before almost always shooting themselves in the foot. Consider themselves to be far more relevant than the vast majority would give them credit for. Even when they reach a real high, they still somehow manage to throw it away) of British politics. 

Fear it will be another show of the obvious flaws with FPTP however with a myriad of tactical votes and almost certainly going to be a single issue election, again. 

• Like 2

Doesn't matter because Kendall will walk in with about 65+%

I'll do what I always do and vote for whichever generic leftist party is running in Leicester West this year. 

Might chuck on the Lib Dems just to be a statistic as an anti Brexit vote but eh. 

The unwillingness of the Treasury to publish its own economic forecast of the impact of Brexit is quite interesting 

The non political and widely respected National Institute of Economic and Social Research have issued theirs 

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-50219036

The Treasury may well disagree but I’d like to see their own analysis 

You can bet your bottom dollar that if the government thought there would be a positive impact its own assessment would not only have been published but would also have been widely published by now 

The election will be all about Brexit and I find it difficult to trust a government that is “economic with the actualite”

Edited by Mike Oxlong
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Voll Blau said:

Use your vote. It matters.

More importantly, get informed and vote. 

If you feel the need to vote single issue, whether it be pro or anti-Brexit, then so be it, but at least educate yourself on whose standing and their party's manifesto, try and attend local candidate's debates or live television debates if you can, or use resources available online. 

This isn't just another vote on Brexit (I know it's importance in your case VB so I understand if it's your priority personally) it's a vote on potentially the next five years of governance so take time informing yourself if you're not already.

• Like 2

Just checking the selections for my constituency, Loughborough. Nicky Morgan wasn't on the list but I assume she'll stand, having held the seat since 2010. The Labour candidate is former Saracans player Stuart Brady, which is a surprise considering Jewel Miah made significant ground at the last election, taking a near 10,000 majority down to around 5,000. I can only assume he wasn't to the liking of Corbyn and Co.

If I can get to local debates I will, as I'll be honest I haven't kept my ear to the ground since the last election, and I have no idea about any of the new selections.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 2