Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

FT General Election Poll 2019

FT General Election 2019  

501 members have voted

1. 1. Which party will be getting your vote?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Brexit Party
    • Green Party
    • Other

4 hours ago, ousefox said:

Quite a lot of silent Tories voting on this. I can only see a few who have commented. Are people embarrassed? I really can't understand why many traditional Tories can vote for Johnson unless you have always been to the right of the party. I can fully understand it in that case - fair game. I've said it before but I'm shocked a Tory party that has no room for Clarke, Rudd etc can appeal to the majority of voters (what the polls suggest so far). Is it a simple message to simple voters that's working? 

What happened to the Tories being the safe pair of hands for the economy? Independent research has shown Johnson's deal will cost us over £2k each a year (funnily enough he refused to do a govt economic impact analysis on it), and suddenly he's found Labour's magic money tree and austerity was a waste of time.

He pointlessly and illegally prorogued Parliament, had a waste of time Queen's speech, wasted millions of £s of taxpayer money pushing his 31 October deadline through advertising, is mad enough to have Raab, Patel and Leadsom in his cabinet, and just doesn't stop lying. Not to mention the Acuri issue. Do you really respect this man and think he wants the best for this country? Even his brother and sister don't seem to.

Or are you simply voting on Brexit? A Johnson let majority taking us out of the EU is an incredibly scary prospect imo.

Anyway it's not even the best of a bad bunch for me, it's the least worst option of the bunch. I guess that's why people may vote Tory too. I'm undecided but Labour will win my seat anyway. I'd rather be dead in a ditch than vote for Johnson, Corbyn is the worst leader of the opposition in history, and I think Swinson has made some weird decisions since she became leader that doesn't encourage me to vote for her.

Sorry I've gone on a rant 😂

Ha Ha ..... as a person that’s voted Conservative in every General Election I was able to, you’ve perfectly summed up why I can’t now. 

I’m also in North West Leicestershire and I can’t take to Andrew Bridgend. 

The local Lib Dem bloke drives be bonkers with his Facebook posts, however I’m anti Brexit - so inclined to pull that way. My just not sure if I’ll be wasting my time and they have enough sway. It’s be nice to demolish the House of Lords though!! 

I hate Corbyn.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sly said:

Ha Ha ..... as a person that’s voted Conservative in every General Election I was able to, you’ve perfectly summed up why I can’t now. 

I’m also in North West Leicestershire and I can’t take to Andrew Bridgend. 

The local Lib Dem bloke drives be bonkers with his Facebook posts, however I’m anti Brexit - so inclined to pull that way. My just not sure if I’ll be wasting my time and they have enough sway. It’s be nice to demolish the House of Lords though!! 

I hate Corbyn.

If you ever nee your washing machine fixing, I know a bloke, although he is in hospital..

7 hours ago, ousefox said:

Or are you simply voting on Brexit? A Johnson let majority taking us out of the EU is an incredibly scary prospect imo.

Pretty much this. It is scary, which is why a lot of people wanted cross party support to make it happen. With that written off, what choice do brexit supporters have? It's take a chance on Boris, or waste your vote with the Brexit party (and nigel Farage :dry:). 

8 hours ago, ousefox said:

Quite a lot of silent Tories voting on this. I can only see a few who have commented. Are people embarrassed? I really can't understand why many traditional Tories can vote for Johnson unless you have always been to the right of the party. I can fully understand it in that case - fair game. I've said it before but I'm shocked a Tory party that has no room for Clarke, Rudd etc can appeal to the majority of voters (what the polls suggest so far). Is it a simple message to simple voters that's working? 

What happened to the Tories being the safe pair of hands for the economy? Independent research has shown Johnson's deal will cost us over £2k each a year (funnily enough he refused to do a govt economic impact analysis on it), and suddenly he's found Labour's magic money tree and austerity was a waste of time.

He pointlessly and illegally prorogued Parliament, had a waste of time Queen's speech, wasted millions of £s of taxpayer money pushing his 31 October deadline through advertising, is mad enough to have Raab, Patel and Leadsom in his cabinet, and just doesn't stop lying. Not to mention the Acuri issue. Do you really respect this man and think he wants the best for this country? Even his brother and sister don't seem to.

Anyway it's not even the best of a bad bunch for me, it's the least worst option of the bunch. I guess that's why people may vote Tory too. I'm undecided but Labour will win my seat anyway. I'd rather be dead in a ditch than vote for Johnson, Corbyn is the worst leader of the opposition in history, and I think Swinson has made some weird decisions since she became leader that doesn't encourage me to vote for her.

Sorry I've gone on a rant 😂

If brexit wasn’t already in bag, I’m not sure I would be voting conservative. I would probably spoil the ballot again.

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

If brexit wasn’t already in bag, I’m not sure I would be voting conservative. I would probably spoil the ballot again.

2 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Pretty much this. It is scary, which is why a lot of people wanted cross party support to make it happen. With that written off, what choice do brexit supporters have? It's take a chance on Boris, or waste your vote with the Brexit party (and nigel Farage :dry:). 

Would you vote Labour if they were the party advocating Brexit and the Tories remain? Given that Corbyn is the lifelong Eurosceptic and Johnson seemed to choose it for his own personal interest it's an interesting question.

I'm just trying to work out how much of a single issue this election is going to be. Do all the other policies/personalities go out the window?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ousefox said:

Would you vote Labour if they were the party advocating Brexit and the Tories remain? Given that Corbyn is the lifelong Eurosceptic and Johnson seemed to choose it for his own personal interest it's an interesting question.

I'm just trying to work out how much of a single issue this election is going to be. Do all the other policies/personalities go out the window?

Interesting question. Good point about Corbyn & Johnson, too.

The situation you describe actually applied to the 1983 election: the Tories, under Thatcher, wanted to stay in the (then) EEC, while it was Labour policy to leave.

3 minutes ago, ousefox said:

I wish it wasn't so as goodness only knows that there are more pressing issues, but I think it will be decidedly single issue, yes. And I think that will be the case until either the Brexit issue is resolved or the UK among other places has a billion climate refugees hammering on the door or somesuch.

38 minutes ago, ousefox said:

Absolutely, I was closer to voting Labour than Conservatives in 2017 but in the end I did spoil my ballot.

If the tories still had May at the helm, I’d be voting for the brexit party.

46 minutes ago, ousefox said:

Certainly the biggest issue for me, for one I fear not implementing a decision for the first time in our electoral history could lead to some pretty distasteful stuff.

So yes I'd vote Labour with a heavy heart if the roles were reversed, but I'd hope the MP's would call another election immediately after as having Jeremy Corbyn as our Prime Minister could do irreparable damage to our country, economy, Jewish community and foreign relationships.

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

So yes I'd vote Labour with a heavy heart if the roles were reversed, but I'd hope the MP's would call another election immediately after as having Jeremy Corbyn as our Prime Minister could do irreparable damage to our country, economy, Jewish community and foreign relationships.

That's fair, I assume you have the same concerns for our African and Afro-Caribbean communities after Johnson himself has used language such as 'piccaninnies' and 'watermelon smiles'?

Just now, Finnaldo said:

That's fair, I assume you have the same concerns for our African and Afro-Caribbean communities after Johnson himself has used language such as 'piccaninnies' and 'watermelon smiles'?

Not really, I just don't think writing silly language in supposedly satirical articles carries the same weight as sharing platforms with terrorist groups who openly want to drive Jews into the sea. Not to mention speaking alongside holocaust deniers, laying wreaths at black September graves and now overseeing a party that has had such problems with antisemitism it's now become the only party in British history aside from the BNP to be investigated by the European Commission of Human rights for racism.

If black people were being forced out of the Conservatives in the same way Jews are in Labour then obviously I would though and you can hold me to that.

1 minute ago, MattP said:

Not really, I just don't think writing silly language in supposedly satirical articles carries the same weight as sharing platforms with terrorist groups who openly want to drive Jews into the sea. Not to mention speaking alongside holocaust deniers, laying wreaths at black September graves and now overseeing a party that has had such problems with antisemitism it's now become the only party in British history aside from the BNP to be investigated by the European Commission of Human rights for racism.

If black people were being forced out of the Conservatives in the same way Jews are in Labour then obviously I would though and you can hold me to that.

So that language is fine to use from a Prime Minister as long as (they claim) it’s satirical? 

Just now, Finnaldo said:

So that language is fine to use from a Prime Minister as long as (they claim) it’s satirical? 

No and I didn't say that, I said it wasn't comparable to the actions of his opposite.

If course it's not acceptable language for a statesman, but black MP's aren't being hounded out the Conservative party on the basis of his actions like it happening with the Berger's and Ellman's in Labour. 

1 minute ago, MattP said:

No and I didn't say that, I said it wasn't comparable to the actions of his opposite.

If course it's not acceptable language for a statesman, but black MP's aren't being hounded out the Conservative party on the basis of his actions like it happening with the Berger's and Ellman's in Labour. 

What about Muslim women?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/boris-johnson-muslim-women-letterboxes-burqa-islamphobia-rise-a9088476.html

Just now, MattP said:

With respect, I can't help but think that writing his comments off as 'silly language' is a large part of the problem. He's recited colonial era poetry in Myanmar, been homophobic on more than one occasion, Islamophobic on more than one occasion, racist on more than one occasion, conspired to have a journalist 'beaten up', been fired for lying, overseen the biggest riots in this country in years during his time as London Mayor (arguably out of his control, but I can't imagine the same would be said if it were the current Mayor) and the whole Nazanin Zahgari-Ratcliffe case too. 

I'm not comfortable with Corbyn and some of his history, same goes for McDonnell too, but Boris gets away with a lot more than Corbyn and co. I can't help but feel that the right/centre right press have far greater influence thanks to people like Cummings. As seedy as it all is, Labour could probably do with a Campbell clone. 

• Like 2

Just now, MattP said:

If anyone has read that article - it's actually quite a liberal piece that saying people should be free to wear whatever they want in Britain. 

That may be true Matt, but the language is clearly inflammatory and quite clearly the direct consequence of the article wasn't that of understanding and tolerance.

As DG said above, Corbyn and McDonnell deserve all the criticism they get for the awful decisions they make and company they keep, and I'm agreement there with you, yet when Boris has a whole locker of exclusionary, derisive behaviour, it seems just because Boris is a 'silly blunderous right-winger' he gets a bye 'dangerous leftists' don't get, which seems very concerning.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MattP said:

Early days, but if the Tories are leading a FoxesTalk poll it looks pretty good for the GE. 

lol

10+ points ahead in the polls is basically immaterial.

Tory-held seats but with a more Remain-leaning electorate and a slim majority are under severe pressure from the Liberal Democrats, Labour and the SNP. This could be as much as 45 seats at risk according to DeltaPoll.