Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

FT General Election Poll 2019

FT General Election 2019  

501 members have voted

1. 1. Which party will be getting your vote?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Brexit Party
    • Green Party
    • Other

Annoying that having been in Streatham constituency for the last election, I have since moved over the border into the next one and Chuka Umunna has done a runner to the Cities. I would have enjoyed being part of unseating him. Even more annoying that now the incumbent of the Cities has revealed himself to be a woman-beating gammon, Umunna actually has a chance of winning.

All the parties are as bad as each other. all have their pros and cons. this country is just so divided. I want a functioning government that can get things done either carry on with Brexit or cancel it. it is the paralysis in politics which is really hurting this country.

Could potentially be a five-way battle where I am in Derby North if Williamson stands.

- Williamson (Independent)

- Whoever Labour put up

- Was a Tory seat from 2015 to 2017 (currently one of the most marginal seats in the country I think)

- Derby was about the only place in the country to vote in UKIP councillors at the last local elections, and they've all now defected to the Brexit Party so expected them to show well

- Lib Dems have faded here but it's not that long ago they were putting up a good fight here, and hardcore Remainers might go back to them

Suspect I'll end up backing the Labour candidate but could be swayed to vote tactically and prevent the Tories/Brexit Party getting in.

• Like 1

I'll almost certainly vote Green (1st time in a general election). Mainly because a big national vote for the Greens might get the other parties to push climate change up the agenda.

The Greens will do well to get even 2-3 seats, I expect.

I'm in Leicester South, where Labour has a 26,000 majority, so I'm not one of the minority of voters whose votes will decide the result, under our stupid electoral system.

2 situations in which I might reconsider:

- If there's an unexpected Green surge so they might have some influence in parliament, I'll have to think about it more carefully

- If Labour is in danger of losing Leicester South, I might switch back to the reds.....but if they lose here, the party will practically cease to exist!

Interesting poll so far. Not surprised that the Tories are up and Labour down (Labour narrowly topped the FT poll in 2017, I think?)....but am surprised how many plan to vote Lib Dem.

Might be worth doing another poll about a week before the election to see if anything's changed, @MattP?

• Like 1

Just now, Alf Bentley said:

I'll almost certainly vote Green (1st time in a general election). Mainly because a big national vote for the Greens might get the other parties to push climate change up the agenda.

The Greens will do well to get even 2-3 seats, I expect.

I'm in Leicester South, where Labour has a 26,000 majority, so I'm not one of the minority of voters whose votes will decide the result, under our stupid electoral system.

2 situations in which I might reconsider:

- If there's an unexpected Green surge so they might have some influence in parliament, I'll have to think about it more carefully

- If Labour is in danger of losing Leicester South, I might switch back to the reds.....but if they lose here, the party will practically cease to exist!

Interesting poll so far. Not surprised that the Tories are up and Labour down (Labour narrowly topped the FT poll in 2017, I think?)....but am surprised how many plan to vote Lib Dem.

Might be worth doing another poll about a week before the election to see if anything's changed, @MattP?

I guess if like you they are in a Labour majority seat Lib Dem is no more or less pointless than voting Green.

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Doesn't matter because Kendall will walk in with about 65+%

I'll do what I always do and vote for whichever generic leftist party is running in Leicester West this year. 

Might chuck on the Lib Dems just to be a statistic as an anti Brexit vote but eh. 

You're probably right about Kendall, but I wouldn't be so sure.

She only won by 4000 in 2010, while in 2015 the combined Tory/UKIP vote was only slightly less than her vote. If the result reflects the polls, Leicester West could yet be in play.

35 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Annoying that having been in Streatham constituency for the last election, I have since moved over the border into the next one and Chuka Umunna has done a runner to the Cities. I would have enjoyed being part of unseating him. Even more annoying that now the incumbent of the Cities has revealed himself to be a woman-beating gammon, Umunna actually has a chance of winning.

The "woman-beating gammon" is not standing. Umunna could still have a chance, though. Quite a close result in Cities of London/Westminster in 2017 & a big Remain vote there, I'm guessing.

Of the MPs who've defected or left their parties, Grieve is another who might survive the cull - Remain-voting seat with Lib Dems standing down in his favour. I presume Soubry is a gonner in the East Midlands.

8 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I guess if like you they are in a Labour majority seat Lib Dem is no more or less pointless than voting Green.

Quite apart from the positive element of trying to vote the environment up the agenda, I'd struggle to vote Lib Dem unless I was in a Tory/LD marginal as I find their "revoke" policy on Brexit completely undemocratic.

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Doesn't matter because Kendall will walk in with about 65+%

I'll do what I always do and vote for whichever generic leftist party is running in Leicester West this year. 

Might chuck on the Lib Dems just to be a statistic as an anti Brexit vote but eh. 

@Alf Bentley has already touched on this but she was only about 1,000 ahead of the combined Tory and UKIP vote in 2015, I expect her to hold but she'll have pissed a hell of a lot of voters off in places like Braunstone and New Parks with her going into thelast election backing Brexit and within a year standing up calling for a second referendum.

Had there been a Brexit Party/Tory pact and one stood down I would now think Leicester West would be a 50/50 seat between the two. If the Tories can take seats like Stoke and Mansfield it's not beyond possible they grab a seat like this one eventually as the white working class vote contnues to shift towards them in the same way it's not impossible a shire seat ends up going to Labour or the Lib Dems.

This could be the election that finally redraws the "class map" of British politics.

Edited by MattP

2 hours ago, David Guiza said:

No you have to accept the result, sit in total silence whilst ensuring that you do not commit any thought crimes against the party. Oh, and what you ever do, please don't forget to do your 2 minutes of hate. Anyway, how are we getting on with that war against Eurusia, or was it Eastasia? 

Couldn’t tell you. Have 0 interest in politics. 

2 hours ago, RoboFox said:

It's like ordering a sandwich, and being told you have to choose between a dog shit and cat shit filling and that really your choice doesn't matter because although they taste slightly different, it's still a shit sandwich.

If you do get a penchant for the latter, let me know as I have a plethora of cat sh#t in my garden. Having recently spent day's and hundreds of pounds landscaping the front of my house with slate and gravel and now have the biggest cat litter tray in the area.