Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

FT General Election Poll 2019

FT General Election 2019  

501 members have voted

1. 1. Which party will be getting your vote?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Brexit Party
    • Green Party
    • Other

4 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I'm a payroll and accounts manager :D

I'm telling all the staff tomorrow that I'm paying them an extra £50 this week, but that's included in the £50 I decided not to deduct from them, so they'll come out with exactly the same :D

If you give them £50 towards their deductions they are £50 better off.

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

If you give them £50 towards their deductions they are £50 better off.

Still not coming out with £50 more than they normally would though, and that what I said in was doing, paying them £50 extra.

I believe local colleges do night schools, you might be interested in the maths course, and maybe the english one to, to learn the meaning of "more".

Just now, Facecloth said:

Still not coming out with £50 more than they normally would though, and that what I said in was doing, paying them £50 extra.

I believe local colleges do night schools, you might be interested in the maths course, and maybe the english one to, to learn the meaning of "more".

I’ll go if you give me £50 towards the course.

4 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I do if I expected to lose £19.

As a Primary teacher, this is going to cause me a major headache trying to explain this new form of maths to my class tomorrow.

"If you had 10 chocolate buttons, and were given 8 more, then how many would you have in total?"

"It's 18"

"No it's not you idiot, it's 13, because you clearly didn't take into account that you were planning to eat 5 of them anyway at some undisclosed point in the future. Get straight into detention."

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

As a Primary teacher, this is going to cause me a major headache trying to explain this new form of maths to my class tomorrow.

"If you had 10 chocolate buttons, and were given 8 more, then how many would you have in total?"

"It's 18"

"No it's not you idiot, it's 13, because you clearly didn't take into account that you were planning to eat 5 of them anyway at some undisclosed point in the future. Get straight into detention."

Well you have to tell them first that they are allowed to eat 5, it’s children you shouldn’t be cruel.

9 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

"It's 18"

What you should ask them is.....

If the headteacher gives all the children in school one packet of chocolate buttons and mr charl let’s his class eat 5 chocolate buttons each but mr strokes does not. Which class comes out of school with MORE chocolate buttons? :cool:

I see most of you have gone daft while I’ve been busy this evening.  
Is it really too difficult to understand that you can have 50,000 more nurses than if you did nothing to address the shortages, and that a mix of retaining those who are expected to leave at current run rates, training new Nurses (with Bursuries), and recruiting from overseas is the approach to achieve this.

Believe it or not, you don’t always have to start with where you are now, especially if you are dealing with a growing gap.

in football terms, imagine you need three players now, so you sign three to start in the summer, but ignore the fact that another two players have signed pre contracts to leave in the summer, and another says he is going to.  If you do nothing you will have a gap of three players again in the summer, but if you retain one, sign a couple from overseas then you are ok.  Jobs a goodun, you are the next Steve Walsh.

See?

Edited by Jon the Hat
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I see most of you have gone daft while I’ve been busy this evening.  
Is it really too difficult to understand that you can have 50,000 more nurses than if you did nothing to address the shortages, and that a mix of retaining those who are expected to leave at current run rates, training new Nurses (with Bursuries), and recruiting from overseas is the approach to achieve this.

Believe it or not, you don’t always have to start with where you are now, especially if you are dealing with a growing gap.

in football terms, imagine you need three players now, so you sign three to start in the summer, but ignore the fact that another two players have signed pre contracts to leave in the summer, and another says he is going to.  If you do nothing you will have a gap of three players again in the summer, but if you retain one, sign a couple from overseas then you are ok.  Jobs a goodun, you are the next Steve Walsh.

See?

...this is predicated on the assumption - as was Stokes earlier - that those nurses (and that football player) are a 100% certainty to leave should the changes one makes not be applied, and so therefore the retention of an existing nurse/football player is de facto the same as recruiting an entirely new one in terms of total numbers.

This is by no means the case, and so the assumption and the link are fallacious.

I can see where they're getting the figures from but putting this across using the language they have done is intellectually dishonest.

• Like 2

Extradionary stuff. Can't ever remember a religious leader doing this in an election campaign before.

Obviously I understand the concern, but I'm still not sure it's the right thing to do.

It might even make it worse and make a some Labour MP's and members even more hostile towards the Jewish community. 

IMG_20191126_071822.jpg

Edited by MattP

Theresa Mays best friend and Chief Rabbi who publicly backs violence against innocent Palestinians in "I don't want a leader who recognises Palestine" shocker goes scaremongering with unsubstantiated claims against Corbyn himself (why's he not taken it to the MET police). 

Meanwhile, in the real world: 

EKQCDGtWoAE22xU.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

Theresa Mays best friend and Chief Rabbi who publicly backs violence against innocent Palestinians in "I don't want a leader who recognises Palestine" shocker goes scaremongering with unsubstantiated claims against Corbyn himself (why's he not taken it to the MET police). 

Meanwhile, in the real world: 

EKQCDGtWoAE22xU.jpeg

I thought when the story broke either two things could happen. Some self-reflection about how it has come to this and some hopeful assurance everything is being done to tackle it, or conspiracy theories about the Rabbi.

Got the expected answer.

Some of that stuff is hilarious as well in that -"Corbyn condemns air time holocaust denial" - Was that before or after he sat on public platforms with holocaust deniers? lol

9 minutes ago, StanSP said:

And here we go lol

Holly Rigby is a racist and a homophobe anyway. 

Who cares what she thinks?

Edited by MattP

7 hours ago, leicsmac said:

...this is predicated on the assumption - as was Stokes earlier - that those nurses (and that football player) are a 100% certainty to leave should the changes one makes not be applied, and so therefore the retention of an existing nurse/football player is de facto the same as recruiting an entirely new one in terms of total numbers.

This is by no means the case, and so the assumption and the link are fallacious.

I can see where they're getting the figures from but putting this across using the language they have done is intellectually dishonest.

This is real life, where such certainty doesn’t exist; decisions and policy is based on best estimates.  Are you able to assert that without changes the numbers of nurses leaving the profession would reduce? The RCN expects it to get worse.

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

Indeed.  Labour are all over the place on this.  Chief Rabbi believes Israel should protect itself against daily rocket attacks isn’t really that much of a surprise is it.

It shouldn't be, but we are in 2019.

12 hours ago, Strokes said:

If the figure of adding 50,000 but letting 19,000 leave is the same as adding 31,000 and not letting them leave. Then it’s the same. It is more lol

In the normal course of events nurses retire and others are recruited. A neutral stance would be just to replace those nurses that leave to keep the number of nurses constant. This is just business as usual.

If the government choose not to replace nurses who leave they are reducing the total. If they recruit more than those leaving they are increasing the total. If a party claim that they will add 50,000 nurses, they must recruit 50,000 in addition to those that leave. Anything else is just playing with words and numbers.

This really isn’t that hard, it just simple arithmetic.

• Like 3