Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Starmer Next Labour Leader

46 minutes ago, MattP said:

Haha ffs lol First two guests after the exit poll are Mandelson and May.

Theresa May says "A government that loses it's majority has to go" 

How did nobody pick that line up three years ago?

Mandelson also says "strong and stable - now we've got Andrew Neil interviewing Bruce Forsyth....this is some mental shit.

IMG_20200508_160247.jpg

I did chuckle when Mandelson said "strong and stable government" then Paxman immediately goes "Theresa May". Good foreshadowing. Had missed the Theresa May line.

Honestly was so confused that Neil was at some party interviewing Gandhi and Bruce Forsyth who seemed to have no idea what was going on. Later there's just a pissed Kirstie Allsopp basically appointing Cameron PM

Also good to see Piers Morgan as ludicrous and as wrong as ever

Edited by Kopfkino

Guest MattP
34 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Well he's definitely playing the patriotism card at the moment. I think his first two challenges are anti semitism and trying to remove the anti-british sentiment of Corbyn and momentum which I think he's started doing especially over the past 24 hours. 

It's a good start from him, you won't be elected to run your own country unless you actually like that country.

This is a political party who waved the Palestinian flag rather than the Union one over the last five years, even to the point of them being on the lanyards at conference, that's how deep this insanity got.

He's got a big clear out but so far he's been spot on.

15 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Why is Starmer getting abuse for making sure his daughter wasn't on camera? Have I missed something? Seems to have been blown way out of proportion?

Because that's politics now, lies travel fast and social media is a cesspit.

Starmer not clapping, not prosecuting Jimmy Savile etc

The on the other side you have IDS cheering a minimum wage rise and the canary will repackage it as him celebrating nurses being shot or something.

It's frightening.

20 minutes ago, MattP said:

It's a good start from him, you won't be elected to run your own country unless you actually like that country.

This is a political party who waved the Palestinian flag rather than the Union one over the last five years, even to the point of them being on the lanyards at conference, that's how deep this insanity got.

He's got a big clear out but so far he's been spot on.

The on the other side you have IDS cheering a minimum wage rise and the canary will repackage it as him celebrating nurses being shot or something.

It's frightening.

http://scottish-liberal.blogspot.com/2020/04/no-keir-starmer-did-not-help-jimmy.html?m=1

First source I found but explains a bit about Starmer Saville nonsense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Why is Starmer getting abuse for making sure his daughter wasn't on camera? Have I missed something? Seems to have been blown way out of proportion?

Because one Twitter user with barely any followers somehow managed to get thousands of retweets and likes (dare I say bot activity?!) from one angle saying 'are we done now'.

Thankfully the cameraman from another angle managed to capture footage also of Starmer talking to him, asking if he can get his daughter. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to get the attention (not a dig at you, just in general).

I actually admire Starmer not wanting his daughter shoved in front of national TV cameras! Wants to protect her safety and I commend that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MattP said:

It's frightening.

13 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Because one Twitter user with barely any followers somehow managed to get thousands of retweets and likes (dare I say bot activity?!) from one angle saying 'are we done now'.

Thankfully the cameraman from another angle managed to capture footage also of Starmer talking to him, asking if he can get his daughter. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to get the attention (not a dig at you, just in general).

I actually admire Starmer not wanting his daughter shoved in front of national TV cameras! Wants to protect her safety and I commend that.

Agree with you both, it's mad how it's even getting bad press.

• Like 1

From what I've read, Starmer keeps his family private largely because of his former role as DPP and the potential fallout from cases dealt with during his tenure.

It's the first time I've even heard his daughter's name. 

14 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Tbh, the bad press is a misleading headline and the kind of thick cvnts who think he let Jimmy Savile off slagging him off on social media. 

It's remarkable how little traction it's gained really.

Edited by Bilo
  • Like 1

Guest MattP
22 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Starmer certainly has questions to answer about operation yewtree and the way a lot of innocent people were hounded on very little evidence, but the Savile stuff is just nonsense.

Paul Gambaccini has even hinted he'll run against him at the election to bring attention to it and he's a Labour supporter.

Labour getting pelters on Twitter for their policy to protect renters - 

Not sure how representative the comments are but they are almost unanimously of the opinion that it goes nowhere near far enough in protecting renters, and that this would saddle many with much more debt that they simply can’t afford to pay off.

10 minutes ago, theessexfox said:

Labour getting pelters on Twitter for their policy to protect renters - 

Not sure how representative the comments are but they are almost unanimously of the opinion that it goes nowhere near far enough in protecting renters, and that this would saddle many with much more debt that they simply can’t afford to pay off.

Quick summation of the points other than the ones mentioned? (As in, if it was only those in the tweet then yeah, that would protect renters!)

Not a fan of the renter's policy at all. It effectively places them into debt when millions of people would have to spend time saving to service the debt, placing them into greater financial hardship and lessening their ability to spend and therefore activate the economy. 

That being said, the party can't be seen to be demanding landlords write off the money owed and nor can the party be seen to be promising freebies when the economy is set for its biggest post-war dip.

Edited by Bilo

2 hours ago, LiberalFox said:

It's weird looking back and realising that in a decade the Labour party has gone from looking like the natural party of government to a party that doesn't seem capable of governing for a generation. 

One naive decision from the nembers in Ed Miliband and not one but two utterly catastrophic decisions in Jeremy Corbyn. 

It seems that most have learned their lesson now and have voted for a leader who could actually conceive of speaking to people outside of his echo chamber. 

Meanwhile, the bastard is only leading the opposition. Cunning.

IMG_20200512_201532.jpg

Edited by Bilo

Guest MattP
2 hours ago, LiberalFox said:

It's weird looking back and realising that in a decade the Labour party has gone from looking like the natural party of government to a party that doesn't seem capable of governing for a generation. 

Self inflicted though, they were chasing "the yoof" and becoming a party of only the urban cities and public sector workers before Corbyn, he just exasperated the situation and decided to chuck in a bit of racism and incompetence as well. Losing Scotland at the same time has been disastrous.

The whole party needs a massive culture change but I've got no idea how they piece together policy that wins Canterbury and Carlisle.

Edited by MattP

It's funny looking back that ed milliband not only stabbed his brother in the back, but destroyed the Labour party by running for leader. 

History would have been very different had he not.

4 minutes ago, MattP said:

The whole party needs a massive culture change but I've got no idea how they piece together policy that wins Canterbury and Carlisle.

If you live in a city or town beginning with C you pay no tax 

63088515-F492-4007-9964-20EB5C4EE628.jpeg.8dcc60c2138935d5f5c95859cd65fe45.jpeg

Guest MattP
8 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

It's funny looking back that ed milliband not only stabbed his brother in the back, but destroyed the Labour party by running for leader. 

Its amazing how the slightest little things change politics so significantly.

David Cameron wanted to bring in Matthew Elliott to his staff in 2010, Nick Clegg blocked it as he led the No2AV referendum and held a grudge. Because of that Elliott was free to take the chair of Vote Leave in 2016 and bring his mate to run the campaign. His mate? A bloke called Dominic Cummings

Another one - Nick Boles was set to the Tory candidate for London mayor, he got cancer so had to withdraw, new candidate is Boris Johnson.

Jeremy Corbyn was short of numbers to get on the ballot paper in 2015 for Labour leader, so despite being an opponent of him Margaret Hodge gave him a nomination to "widen the debate".

Edited by MattP

5 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

I always find that argument really weird. Not the argument that Ed M was a poor leader, that's a matter of opinion.

The idea that he "stabbed his brother in the back" by going for the job - because he was the younger brother, I presume?

I'm saying that as an elder brother, too.

If BoJo had been younger than Jo Johnson would he have been duty bound to stand aside? What about Rachel Johnson or does the primogeniture only apply to the male line?

Imagine if Maggie T's elder sister had wanted to stand for Tory leader.... :whistle:

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

If you live in a city or town beginning with C you pay no tax 

63088515-F492-4007-9964-20EB5C4EE628.jpeg.8dcc60c2138935d5f5c95859cd65fe45.jpeg

Potential Labour gain in NW Leicestershire, then, with Coalville.

Just need to change Ashby to Cashby-de-la-zouche to secure the victory.....

15 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I always find that argument really weird. Not the argument that Ed M was a poor leader, that's a matter of opinion.

The idea that he "stabbed his brother in the back" by going for the job - because he was the younger brother, I presume?

I'm saying that as an elder brother, too.

If BoJo had been younger than Jo Johnson would he have been duty bound to stand aside? What about Rachel Johnson or does the primogeniture only apply to the male line?

Imagine if Maggie T's elder sister had wanted to stand for Tory leader.... :whistle:

Potential Labour gain in NW Leicestershire, then, with Coalville.

Just need to change Ashby to Cashby-de-la-zouche to secure the victory.....

My memory may mislead me, but from what I remember, it seemed a dead cert David milliband would win the leadership race until Ed ran and swung the trade unions. 

I actually don't mind ed milliband, but it's clear as day that David's face would have fit and things like bacon sarniegate would not have happened.

2 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

My memory may mislead me, but from what I remember, it seemed a dead cert David milliband would win the leadership race until Ed ran and swung the trade unions. 

I actually don't mind ed milliband, but it's clear as day that David's face would have fit and things like bacon sarniegate would not have happened.

David M was certainly the pre-race favourite, but was never a shoo-in.

Ed M was viewed as a realistic contender and his odds would have been a lot shorter than 5000-1......and LCFC weren't under a moral obligation to stand aside for the "Big 6" in 2015-16. ;)

A leadership contest is a contest, the rules are known and you have to win by the rules if you want to be leader.

Doesn't it say something about David M that he was the favourite, the best-known candidate, knew the rules but still couldn't win the leadership contest of his own party? Not a good portent for winning general elections....

The union vote did swing the contest, but only because it was very close among members & MPs: David M won by 53%-47% among MPs/MEPs & 54%-46% among party members.....so hardly had universal acclaim outside the unions.

David had a prettier face and smoother manner, but this was soon after Blair when people didn't necessarily want another smoothie PM (even if they elected another smarmy git in Cameron).

David M was more closely associated with Blair & the Iraq War, not necessarily a good thing in 2010!

As for things like bacon sarniegate not happening, I think that's naive. Every single Labour leader of the last 50 years, with the possible exception of Blair has come under personal attack.

I mean, whatever anyone thinks of Starmer, he's a serious, mainstream, perhaps rather bland figure & certainly no extremist.....yet the press are already trying to pin Savile on him & he's only been in the job a few weeks.

• Like 1