Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Starmer Next Labour Leader

6 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Seemed like a good debut by Starmer from the few clips I've seen. Confident on the ball, didn't give away possession and took his chances. 

Mind you, that could be the norm for many months, if not longer. If he keeps fit, he could be one hell of a player.

It'll be interesting to see what Johnson is like when he comes back. At his age, injuries and time out of the game could take it's toll.

A big part of his persona has been the "performance" - bullish, informal, humorous, optimistic, flamboyant word selection, ad libs etc. Will/can he just resume that or will his form take a dip through a lack of confidence and match fitness?

That's assuming that he still has the health and drive for the job...probably will, I'd imagine, as form is temporary but class is permanent. We hope Boris comes back all guns blazing and scoring hat tricks for fun like he did before lockdown

Sounds like a match report :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Corbyn's "Maureen from Carlisle has asked..." would have been fine as a backbencher but never seemed apt for the leader of the opposition. You'd imagine Starmer will likely fair well in PMQs because of his background and he'll really be able to put pressure on Johnson in a way Corbyn couldn't.

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Sounds like a match report :D

......and from the Thatcher Stadium, we're hearing that the Blues are down to 9 men. Let's go over to Ian Stringer....

Yes, disgraceful conduct over on the right wing. First to go was Johnson. Yet another stain on his already appalling disciplinary record. But then the slender, red (or grey)-haired youth coach Muzzett leaped from the bench and got involved.

Would you believe it? He seized the referee's notebook and wrote in it! The outcome was inevitable. The referee, Mr. Starmer, has shown the pair of them the red card - and good riddance to bad rubbish!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Stadt said:

Corbyn's "Maureen from Carlisle has asked..." would have been fine as a backbencher but never seemed apt for the leader of the opposition. You'd imagine Starmer will likely fair well in PMQs because of his background and he'll really be able to put pressure on Johnson in a way Corbyn couldn't.

What an absolute ****ing disaster Corbyn was from the first day to the last.  Thank god we have something that looks like an actual opposition again.  We bloody need it right now.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

'oh, Jeremy Corbyn'. 

Hopefully they won't adapt something similarly naff for the new incumbent. 

oh sir kier starmer.

2 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

"7 letters, to be made a figure of fun. Sounds like a local Leicester paper...."

Edited by Dahnsouff

I knew that Starmer would be good at PMQs, and have the ability to make Johnson work hard on Wednesdays, but that was ridiculous. 

Boris is going to have sleepless Tuesday nights for the foreseeable future, and not just because of the baby.

I thought PMQs was pretty tame today. Keir asked the predictable questions and Boris gave the expected answers. I imagine that this is part of a “we’re pulling together but will still scrutinise the government” approach which suits at present. 

• Like 1

Guest MattP

Actually thought that was the worst of the three Starmer performances, seem to want to attack but also realised he can't as he doesn't really have any solutions himself.

Boris looked fairly comfortable and the situation he is in probably can't get much worse than this for questioning. I don't think he'll be too worried at the minute.

57 minutes ago, MattP said:

Actually thought that was the worst of the three Starmer performances, seem to want to attack but also realised he can't as he doesn't really have any solutions himself.

Boris looked fairly comfortable and the situation he is in probably can't get much worse than this for questioning. I don't think he'll be too worried at the minute.

I didn't watch it so I don't know but the bar has been set so low in the last 5 years that I'd be mightily impressed if Starmer didn't look good up whilst he has whole warehouses of ammo to draw on if he wants. 

On PMQs, Punch and Judy Politics is a good, light read. I remember both Miliband and Cameron both being quite good at it and I suspect that's the peak for a while. Don't imagine Boris v Starmer being much cop long-term, it'll only really pick up traction within respective bubbles. 

Guest MattP
9 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Even from my biased left wing position I cannot fathomably begin to envisage how you thought this. It was an absolute onslaught.

On the contrary and for balances sake, it's perfectly reasonable for Boris to struggle in PMQ's at the moment, he has a lot on his plate so PMQ performance is hardly his priority whereas for Starmer, PMQ's is a real chance for him to put his point across so he's inevitably going to be performing better.

I thought Starmer was fantastic first two weeks and made Raab look quite awful. Today I didn't see anything at all, first question was good but very little afterwards and Boris at no point looked in any trouble.

I'm wondering if some of the left leaners are suffering from the old boxing judge analogy of giving a wrong round score on the basis of improvement here, overrating a certain round (or in this performance) because they've done better than what they've seen previously I.e Corbyn.

Doesn't matter a jot when it comes to elections anyway, PMQs is for the converted.

Edited by MattP

11 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Even from my biased left wing position I cannot fathomably begin to envisage how you thought this. It was an absolute onslaught.

On the contrary and for balances sake, it's perfectly reasonable for Boris to struggle in PMQ's at the moment, he has a lot on his plate so PMQ performance is hardly his priority whereas for Starmer, PMQ's is a real chance for him to put his point across so he's inevitably going to be performing better.

I don’t have any fixed political leaning but I must have been watching a different game to you ! 

• Like 1

Guest MattP
7 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

I didn't watch it so I don't know but the bar has been set so low in the last 5 years that I'd be mightily impressed if Starmer didn't look good up whilst he has whole warehouses of ammo to draw on if he wants. 

On PMQs, Punch and Judy Politics is a good, light read. I remember both Miliband and Cameron both being quite good at it and I suspect that's the peak for a while. Don't imagine Boris v Starmer being much cop long-term, it'll only really pick up traction within respective bubbles. 

Hague v Blair was fantastic, the best two I've seen in my life at the box, Hague really was tremendous but it mattered for nothing at elections as the public couldn't take to him.

Starmer should be good given his background but you can tell whilst good forensically he's not going to be a top notch performer as he's very wooden. This current format of the place being like a morgue is perfect for him.

Edited by MattP

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/05/06/boris-johnson-loved-facing-jeremy-corbyn-keir-starmer-looks/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_fb

When even a newspaper that's become as absurdly slavish in its devotion to the Tories is writing articles like this, you know that Starmer is going to be a very different animal to that which Johnson has faced.

He'd led a charmed life in politics before 2020, and now we'll see what he's really made of. 

Guest MattP

This was the next description I've seen today lol

What a difference Keir Starmer makes at PMQs. Not the best sex you’ve ever had. That’s Tony. But a competent blowjob. Gets it done.

Corbyn wasn’t even a half-assed handjob. More an unwanted pinch on the arse in a club. Labour might actually be competitive again some time soon.