Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

XBOX Series X

10 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

If it was up to me I'd just get a new missus

It’s a possibility!!

The thing that really winds me up with these new consoles though is that there’s a hundred quid premium to be able to use a disc. Maybe I’m old fashioned but the idea of trading games in when I’m bored of them is something I want to keep doing rather than being limited to Xbox or ps store downloads.

4 minutes ago, howlinmadmurfdoc said:

It’s a possibility!!

The thing that really winds me up with these new consoles though is that there’s a hundred quid premium to be able to use a disc. Maybe I’m old fashioned but the idea of trading games in when I’m bored of them is something I want to keep doing rather than being limited to Xbox or ps store downloads.

Think of it as a hundred pound discount to not need a disc tray. With how powerful the new consoles are, I think £450 is a very fair price for launch all things considered plus if you wait til they're actually in stores, you'll almost certainly be able to get a bundle discount or at the very least most retailers will throw in a digital download for one of the launch titles for free that you wouldn't have got from pre-ordering

I'm with you though, I prefer owning a physical copy of games that you can always sell on or give to a mate when you're done with it especially as the price is usually less than a digital version

I think my plan of action is wait until the consoles are released, get an Xbox Series X bundle when there's a bit of value available, then wait a couple of years for a price drop and get a PS5 Digital for cheap to get any must-have exclusives I may have missed

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Think of it as a hundred pound discount to not need a disc tray. With how powerful the new consoles are, I think £450 is a very fair price for launch all things considered plus if you wait til they're actually in stores, you'll almost certainly be able to get a bundle discount or at the very least most retailers will throw in a digital download for one of the launch titles for free that you wouldn't have got from pre-ordering

I'm with you though, I prefer owning a physical copy of games that you can always sell on or give to a mate when you're done with it especially as the price is usually less than a digital version

I think my plan of action is wait until the consoles are released, get an Xbox Series X bundle when there's a bit of value available, then wait a couple of years for a price drop and get a PS5 Digital for cheap to get any must-have exclusives I may have missed

Yeah I think I’ll leave it until Christmas time to make a decision and see if there’s any pros and cons of each console and then look for good bundles in the sales. 
I’ve got a pretty much brand new Xbox elite 2 controller so that sways me towards Xbox though.

Gonna wait a good year or so. Had a One X for a couple of years now which is apparently more capable than the lesser version of the new console by some metrics.

All I really do is play CoD MW TDM on my lonesome these days anyway, quite abit of Forza too. Is there even that much of a leap this gen or is it just 10 more frames per second and some slightly snazzier looking graphics(if you've got a £1000+ TV too) ?

30 minutes ago, Jaspa said:

Gonna wait a good year or so. Had a One X for a couple of years now which is apparently more capable than the lesser version of the new console by some metrics.

All I really do is play CoD MW TDM on my lonesome these days anyway, quite abit of Forza too. Is there even that much of a leap this gen or is it just 10 more frames per second and some slightly snazzier looking graphics(if you've got a £1000+ TV too) ?

This is not even remotely true. You can't just look at teraflops and decide it's weaker.

The Series S is more powerful, it has less compute performance, but that is based on new technology (RDNA 2). It has Ray Tracing hardware included, the Zen 2 cores in the Series S DESTROY the old Jaguar cores in the Xbox One X. The SSD in the Series S is way, way faster than the storage of the Xbox One X.

You are not doing 120fps at 1440p WITH Ray Tracing on an Xbox One X, no way in hell.

Series S is unbelievable value, as a 1440p monitor owner I never thought I'd even consider buying it over upgrading my PC in future.

Edited by z-layrex

21 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

This is not even remotely true. You can't just look at teraflops and decide it's weaker.

The Series S is more powerful, it has less compute performance, but that is based on new technology (RDNA 2). It has Ray Tracing hardware included, the Zen 2 cores in the Series S DESTROY the old Jaguar cores in the Xbox One X. The SSD in the Series S is way, way faster than the storage of the Xbox One X.

You are not doing 120fps at 1440p WITH Ray Tracing on an Xbox One X, no way in hell.

Ok. Thought I saw it written somewhere the Series S won't be able to do One X enhancement on backward compatible games. https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/14/21435831/xbox-series-s-backward-compatibility-one-x-enhanced-mode

You could probably wack an SSD into anything non-cartridge and have an improvement on performance over HDD.

A six year leap in CPU tech is substantial power though but this is the thing for me, how does this considerably improve games right now - does this all just boil down to incrementally better graphics or are the games going to be better fleshed out?

1 hour ago, Jaspa said:

Ok. Thought I saw it written somewhere the Series S won't be able to do One X enhancement on backward compatible games. https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/14/21435831/xbox-series-s-backward-compatibility-one-x-enhanced-mode

You could probably wack an SSD into anything non-cartridge and have an improvement on performance over HDD.

A six year leap in CPU tech is substantial power though but this is the thing for me, how does this considerably improve games right now - does this all just boil down to incrementally better graphics or are the games going to be better fleshed out?

Your last point is very much the case until the decide to only develop for the new generations where you'll then see more complex AI/animations/worlds all done at a much faster speed. I don't think you get the massive generational leaps now that you would have done with the PS1 to PS2 to PS3.

General consensus is that the S is considerably better than the One X minus lower resolution.

Microsoft has just bought Bethesda as well :blink:. Can't say I'm always the biggest fan of their games but that's a huge studio/publisher to buy. I'd guess that the new Elder Scrolls and Starfield will be exclusive now unless they do what they have done with Minecraft.

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-bethesda-zenimax-aquisition

1 minute ago, dmayne7 said:

Microsoft has just bought Bethesda as well :blink:. Can't say I'm always the biggest fan of their games but that's a huge studio/publisher to buy. I'd guess that the new Elder Scrolls and Starfield will be exclusive now unless they do what they have done with Minecraft.

Bloody hell. One way to get games for your shiny new console I guess. :blink:

2 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Bloody hell. One way to get games for your shiny new console I guess. :blink:

And that means this games will most likely go onto Gamepass making that even more ridiculous value.

They've bought so many studios over the past 5 years that it's pretty bad there's no launch games.

6 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

Oh my god, my favourite company, up there with Rockstar.

I think once I move out I'm going to get a gaming pc, not sure yet. I ended up buying a switch at the start of lockdown and I've used it about 15 times since.

1 minute ago, dmayne7 said:

And that means this games will most likely go onto Gamepass making that even more ridiculous value.

They've bought so many studios over the past 5 years that it's pretty bad there's no launch games.

Having everything run through the pass has to be the gaming endgame tbh. Why sell something when you can make someone pay for it every month instead. 

Be alright for the gaming hounds out there but will end up crazy expensive for the casuals. 

I don't think Microsoft will insist on Xbox exclusives from Bethesda, but even if the games are available on gamepass, then it's unbelievable value and that along with EA will be a gamechanger for the new Xboxes.

Some of the stuff on Twitter is fvcking embarrassing though. Dickless little virgins getting upset about it, arguing over whether PS5 is better than the Xbox etc. Like, who fvcking cares?

Edited by RoboFox

44 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

I don't think Microsoft will insist on Xbox exclusives from Bethesda, but even if the games are available on gamepass, then it's unbelievable value and that along with EA will be a gamechanger for the new Xboxes.

Some of the stuff on Twitter is fvcking embarrassing though. Dickless little virgins getting upset about it, arguing over whether PS5 is better than the Xbox etc. Like, who fvcking cares?

Certainly not me. Don't get it at all. This series of consoles I've either got or had all of them, each have their own positives and negatives. The crazy thing is you never see this crap over the switch, everyone just likes or dislikes it for what it is. 

Strange world we're living in. 

The brand loyalty between xbox and PS has always been weird and just seems to be getting more divisive as we as a society become more absolute on everything.  It seems like people can't discuss anything xbox/ps related without somehow shoehorning in some criticism at the other platform. As an owner of both current platforms (and have pre-ordered PS5 and will pre-order a series x) I find it best to not engage at all with these people.

Having said it's creepy how people can't discuss one company without the discuss the other, let me do just that! The standard criticism of xbox from the PS fan boi's is "exclusives, exclusives and exclusives" and it does, currently, have some merit.  However, probably around E3 2018, Microsoft have been acquiring some fantastic game studios (Ninja Theory and Obsidian off the top of my head) so they've acknowledged that was an area for improvement and this acquisition of Zenimax is another good addition and an example of them addressing the criticism they've received.  Games take what, 3/4 years (minimum for AAA) to develop, so we're unlikely to see the fruits of their aggressive acquisition for at least another few years.   With regards to the Zenimax IP, I can't see Microsoft holding the content from other consoles as don't think it's in their interest to do so ($7.5 billion has to pay for itself and if someone is going to pay $70 for a product, Microsoft will take that).  It's clear from the console launches that the two companies are taking different business paths with Microsoft becoming service based (same as their Azure, Office 365 and Windows model) and Sony a more traditional gaming platform.  Not saying one is better than the other, they're just different.  I think the major difference though which is being shown with acquisitions like this is the difference in contribution the game studios have on each business.  I think xbox makes up barely 10% of Microsoft revenue whereas PS contributes roughly a similar amount as their hardware market (ie a significant share).  This probably leads to slightly more aggressive behaviour from Sony (e.g release date, pricing, cross play and that weird Unreal Engine 4 demo that got people thinking that's what the games will look like on PS)  than Microsoft with consoles as it's a significant contributor to their business.  Specifically they really had to wait for Microsoft to announce costs/dates first as being undercut/overpriced would have a greater impact on their business if they got it wrong (ala PS3, "get a second job").

Not sure where I'm going with all this, but it's a good time to be a gamer regardless of platform.  The playstation games are superb, the xbox series S is outstanding value (Game Pass and a Console for £20.99pm is insane and will make lots of families very happy, my phone contract is triple that) and the series x (when given a proper technical demonstration) will look incredible.  Hopefully in the next few years when Microsoft's acquired studios release their products (Hellblade 2!) they'll be parity on the game market.

Now, back to playing Mario All-Stars on the greatest console of the 3... lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ashley said:

Not only will this be the most powerful console so far to date* theyve just signed/partnered up with Bethesda. 

PlayStation fanboys will be fummmmiiinnnn

This changes everything. Not only will the Games Pass be far too good value for most people to pass up, but the argument of Sony having "all the exclusives" has completely turned on its head. Massive news

BethesdaXbox_HERO.jpg?w=1200

Even though news is vague about what will be Xbox exclusive and what will be multiplatform, I imagine a lot of people who've placed PS5 preorders will be cancelling them

I guess the alternative slant is that they're not doing this to get people who ordered PS5 to jump ship. I think people are brand loyal such that you'd buy a PS5 or xbox irrespective of exclusives (not sure it's as big a deal as people think). If MS can get the PS owners to buy gamepass and use xcloud in addition to the PS5 then that's another way to increase their base themself.

If you're a PS5 owner and want Starfield/TES, are you really going to stump up £70, or would you just buy Gamepass? 

*Update*

After all the fun I had getting the PS5 and the nVidia 3080 pre-ordered, let's add this to the list!

Edited by Zear0
Added a moan

9 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I buy all my games digitally and I don't have a 4k tele. 

Knowing that, there isn't a reason for me to fork out the extra £200 for the Series X is there?

Not really. Smaller hard drive is on thing (though smaller file sizes to compensate a bit) and maybe a little less future proof but that's about it.

I probably should have just got one as I only really buy digital games but I will go to a 4k TV soon and do get the occasional disks.

2 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

Not really. Smaller hard drive is on thing (though smaller file sizes to compensate a bit) and maybe a little less future proof but that's about it.

I probably should have just got one as I only really buy digital games but I will go to a 4k TV soon and do get the occasional disks.

What is the storage space on it and can you increase it with external hard drives if you want like the Xbox one?