Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

XBOX Series X

There's been quite a few "previews" of the console recently similar to what PS did for the Japan market.

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2020/oct/07/whisper-quiet-and-super-fast-hands-on-with-a-preview-xbox-series-x-microsoft

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/the-xbox-series-x-is-considerably-quieter-and-more-elegant-than-you-might-think

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-10-10-xbox-series-x-has-tactile-indicators-over-the-ports

Think they're restricted by what they can say but general views:

• Very quiet which is pleasant given the noise of the previous gen (One being significantly noisier than the other but I won't name which as the competitor fans might cry).
  • Looks better in the flesh which is a relief.  Let's be honest, the design is more functional than aesthetic
  • Bit toasty so probably won't be wise to stash it in a cabinet or TV bench if that's what you do.
  • Back compat of current gen games is making a significant benefit to the performance
  • Not related to the above articles, but Game Pass is outrageous value
  • Fitting a normal USB SDD is cheaper than the official M.2 slot.  Whilst that official storage is expensive, that's the price of an M.2 NVME drive so it's not a rip off.

All looking promising for launch, now how about sorting out the elephant in the room MS.  Halo, Fable, State of Decay 3, Everwild, Avowed, Hellblade 2 and As Dusk Falls all look decent, can we get them before 2022 please?

17 hours ago, Walkers said:

As it happens i've just changed my power on setting to energy saver, which is the reverse to what the troubleshooting suggests (instant on), it's now working. But either way this will happen again at some point lol

It's happened the next day with the disc having never left the console, so lol

Just now, UniFox21 said:

I'd look at picking up another disc or online download 

Doing that right now

I did something similar for Fifa a few months ago, I had the disc but destroyed it (yes), then bought it from CDKeys with a code, I wondered if having it installed on disc and via a code would confuse my xbox but it didn't. However I have more to lose if GTA was to make me start all over again, that wouldn't happen would it?

Just now, Walkers said:

Doing that right now

I did something similar for Fifa a few months ago, I had the disc but destroyed it (yes), then bought it from CDKeys with a code, I wondered if having it installed on disc and via a code would confuse my xbox but it didn't. However I have more to lose if GTA was to make me start all over again, that wouldn't happen would it?

It shouldn't do, everything is stored online. If you were worried I'd grab a disc from CEX or Game preowned. Least they have a warranty if it doesn't work to just return them 

6 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

My disc drive on my Xbox One has been playing up for years, luckily I download 90% of my games. Sometimes I have to reinsert a disc 4 or 5 times to get it to work, bit of a ballache.

I'd swap that for my issue lol Mine would load a few games on before refusing to run any and needing factory resetting. It's now in a software loop and will likely require a new hard drive

11 hours ago, Zear0 said:
  • Fitting a normal USB SDD is cheaper than the official M.2 slot.  Whilst that official storage is expensive, that's the price of an M.2 NVME drive so it's not a rip off.

I might be wrong, but I think I heard using a normal SDD will be fine for storage and to run Xbox One/360 games from, but I think you need the official expansion to run Xbox Series X games directly from. I'd be getting a bog standard one though, you can always transfer between internal SDD and external if the games won't run directly off the external

Regarding the design, I quite like it! It's never going to look particularly dated, and much better than the PS5's giant budget Wifi router design

11 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

I might be wrong, but I think I heard using a normal SDD will be fine for storage and to run Xbox One/360 games from, but I think you need the official expansion to run Xbox Series X games directly from. I'd be getting a bog standard one though, you can always transfer between internal SDD and external if the games won't run directly off the external

Regarding the design, I quite like it! It's never going to look particularly dated, and much better than the PS5's giant budget Wifi router design

Or if you have an external HDD at the moment, I've seen a few previews say that you should just stick all the games that you're not currently playing on there and then shift them to the SDD when you want them because that only takes a few mins.

Pretty sure you can run backwards compatible games off an HDD but they just don't benefit from the increased loading times (obviously) but you need that official expansion to get all the benefits when not running it off the internal drive.

The Xbox seems to have a bad-good cycle with their consoles. 

The Xbox One was underwhelming but Microsoft was more focused on other areas. There was huge change to the company in the last decade and concentrated more on the surface products and the cloud. Gaming was pushed to the side a bit. Looks like they are a bit more tuned in with the Series X.

Provided the games are there I'd say it could be a big success.

33 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

Provided the games are there I'd say it could be a big success.

I can't see how it won't be a success with the acquisition of Bethesda, plus them offering the Series S at such a low price point I think even a lot of people who opt for the PS5 would consider getting a Series S too. Given that all consoles* get a price chop in the first year, the S will presumably down to £199 at some point in the near future, which is just insane for what it'll be capable of. At the very least you'll be able to get one for the launch price of £249, with an additional controller or a game or two bundled in at no extra cost

Edit: *all consoles besides Nintendo. I'd love a Switch but refuse to pay £280 for what is essentially an outdated smartphone with a couple of poor quality undersized controllers. The Switch Lite is about the right price but they took the TV-out capability out on purpose to artificially make the Switch look like better value, and if I had one I'd never use it in portable mode so the Lite isn't an option for me

Edited by Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

is there any digital version available in UK for release day

You won't get a pre-order now and none of the shops will be open to purchase from on release day, except maybe supermarkets.

I imagine they'll be a load of new stock come the start of December, you'll probably be able to easily get one then.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

You won't get a pre-order now and none of the shops will be open to purchase from on release day, except maybe supermarkets.

I imagine they'll be a load of new stock come the start of December, you'll probably be able to easily get one then.

2 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

is there any digital version available in UK for release day

FYI shops are getting some on release date but you'll need to order them online. Smyths, Argos, Currys, John Lewis, Microsoft, Amazon all worth checking on the day. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Christoph said:

FYI shops are getting some on release date but you'll need to order them online. Smyths, Argos, Currys, John Lewis, Microsoft, Amazon all worth checking on the day. 

Didn't know this, I thought they said they'll be none on release day (they probably did to drum up pre-order interest tbf).

I'll keep my eyes out for a PS5 bundle on release day then, cheers.

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Didn't know this, I thought they said they'll be none on release day (they probably did to drum up pre-order interest tbf).

I'll keep my eyes out for a PS5 bundle on release day then, cheers.

PS5 next stock reload is on 19th November.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

Good news for anyone still looking to pre-order, more stock next week

Why does it say pre-order when that's the release day? 

Has anyone had theirs dispatched yet? Can't even see my Curry's pre order anywhere. Got one from the Microsoft store which was been paid for now but I can't track it yet. 

Not both for me!