Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Scottish Football

Tbf Gerrard's celebration against Celtic was rightly massive. Even if they don't win the title this year (they won't) it represented a massive step towards some semblance of competition in that division. The stakes on that game are massive, it'd be weirder had he not celebrated.

Best team in Scotland rolled Ross County over last night mind.

This is a great statement about a poor original decision (which is unfortunate but happens) and an absolutely disgraceful bit of appeal reviewing with the benefit of videos from multiple angles.

Well done Inverness Calley Thistle.  :appl:

Edit - Well that's a bit weird, the link ain't working

https://twitter.com/ICTFC/status/1230203869554192385?s=19

Edit again: the link is displaying on an iPad but not on a phone.  I give up...

Edited by Vacamion

4 hours ago, Vacamion said:

This is a great statement about a poor original decision (which is unfortunate but happens) and an absolutely disgraceful bit of appeal reviewing with the benefit of videos from multiple angles.

Well done Inverness Calley Thistle.  :appl:

Edit - Well that's a bit weird, the link ain't working

https://twitter.com/ICTFC/status/1230203869554192385?s=19

Edit again: the link is displaying on an iPad but not on a phone.  I give up...

What a disgraceful decision by the SFA panel. They should be sacked and no team should plat a game until thats over turned.  How is that simulation? Were they thinking  it was a BDSM sex scene or something?

• Like 1

On 13/02/2020 at 22:15, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Tbf Gerrard's celebration against Celtic was rightly massive. Even if they don't win the title this year (they won't) it represented a massive step towards some semblance of competition in that division. The stakes on that game are massive, it'd be weirder had he not celebrated.

Best team in Scotland rolled Ross County over last night mind.

It doesn't really, beating us in a one off game doesn't mean there is competition all of a sudden, Livingston beat us in a one off game also.  Rangers beat us a year previous at the same point in the season when Rodgers was manager.  Didn't make it any more difficult than usual for us to win the league either year, in fact this season it looks like we're going to win the league by a greater margin than last season.

Providing proper competition would be serving up an actual title challenge whereby the league isn't over by February ever year or dare I say it someone other than Celtic actually winning a trophy.

Celebrate by all means but going OTT the way he did just makes him look a tool now given how they have capitulated since.

14 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

It doesn't really, beating us in a one off game doesn't mean there is competition all of a sudden, Livingston beat us in a one off game also.  Rangers beat us a year previous at the same point in the season when Rodgers was manager.  Didn't make it any more difficult than usual for us to win the league either year, in fact this season it looks like we're going to win the league by a greater margin than last season.

Providing proper competition would be serving up an actual title challenge whereby the league isn't over by February ever year or dare I say it someone other than Celtic actually winning a trophy.

Celebrate by all means but going OTT the way he did just makes him look a tool now given how they have capitulated since.

Rangers and Livingston are hardly comparable though given what's riding on one off encounters, before factoring in you'd always fancy the former to be closer to you come the season's end - at the time the gap wasn't all that big and it was a big moment for Rangers to finally get one over on their closest rivals on their own patch, I dare say that celebration was relief more than anything. 

4 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Rangers and Livingston are hardly comparable though given what's riding on one off encounters, before factoring in you'd always fancy the former to be closer to you come the season's end - at the time the gap wasn't all that big and it was a big moment for Rangers to finally get one over on their closest rivals on their own patch, I dare say that celebration was relief more than anything. 

It was the same thing that was riding on both encounters, 3 points.  It was only a big moment if they kicked on and actually challenged us, they've not, if anything it motivated us to go and win every game since.  Celtic nor Rangers supporters won't even remember that game come the end of the season when as looks likely we win the treble again, which makes the celebrations look all the more daft.

I agree it could have been a watershed moment if Rangers built on it, but they've not and this season has followed a similar pattern to the last four with Rangers miles behind us.

4 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

It was the same thing that was riding on both encounters, 3 points.  It was only a big moment if they kicked on and actually challenged us, they've not, if anything it motivated us to go and win every game since.  Celtic nor Rangers supporters won't even remember that game come the end of the season when as looks likely we win the treble again, which makes the celebrations look all the more daft.

I agree it could have been a watershed moment if Rangers built on it, but they've not and this season has followed a similar pattern to the last four with Rangers miles behind us.

Statistically obviously the return is the same but you can't be telling me the tension, build up and emotion between Celtic v Livi is the same as an Old Firm game, surely?

You're clearly going to win the league, and I'm no Rangers fan whatsoever - Gerrard will probably become a meme for it if he hasn't already, but I thought his celebrations were fine all things considered. 

Edited by Miquel The Work Geordie

so his team beat their biggest rivals (supposedly the biggest rivalry of all time ever if you listen to weird celtic fans) on their own turf, to go 2 points behind with a game in hand at the half way point in the season and their manager wasn't meant to celebrate? 

it was probably the biggest win of his managerial career, and he wasn't meant to celebrate? 

what would've been the "correct" reaction, just out of interest? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

so his team beat their biggest rivals (supposedly the biggest rivalry of all time ever if you listen to weird celtic fans) on their own turf, to go 2 points behind with a game in hand at the half way point in the season and their manager wasn't meant to celebrate? 

it was probably the biggest win of his managerial career, and he wasn't meant to celebrate? 

what would've been the "correct" reaction, just out of interest? 

You tell me, but given the reaction to it now and given how his team have utterly folded since it’s made him look like an absolute laughing stock up here, everyone in the media is making reference to it.

He celebrated as if they’d just won the league or a trophy, I’d have expected him to celebrate like that if they had indeed won a trophy, but it was 3 points that was all. He’d have been better served keeping his powder dry and laying it on thick when his team won something as now it’s just made him look daft and is being used as a stick to beat him with.

Edited by henrik_62

3 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

You tell me, but given the reaction to it now and given how his team have utterly folded since it’s made him look like an absolute laughing stock up here, everyone in the media is making reference to it.

He celebrated as if they’d just won the league or a trophy, I’d have expected him to celebrate like that if they had indeed won a trophy, but it was 3 points that was all. He’d have been better served keeping his powder dry and laying it on thick when his team won something as now it’s just made him look daft.

how were rangers' celebrations any different to this official celtic club youtube channels 3 minute long video of your players and manager celebrating "like they've won the league" here?

maybe they were both just celebrating like they'd won an old firm game away from home? maybe they're allowed to celebrate when good things happen? who knows, maybe not. maybe you're right and we should all just move, robot like, from game to game from august to april until someone wins the league. then that team can celebrate. but not for long because there's always next season. 

he'd just won the biggest game of his managerial life so he fu cking jumped up and down. get a life man. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

how were rangers' celebrations any different to this official celtic club youtube channels 3 minute long video of your players and manager celebrating "like they've won the league" here?

maybe they were both just celebrating like they'd won an old firm game away from home? maybe they're allowed to celebrate when good things happen? who knows, maybe not. maybe you're right and we should all just move, robot like, from game to game from august to april until someone wins the league. then that team can celebrate. but not for long because there's always next season. 

he'd just won the biggest game of his managerial life so he fu cking jumped up and down. get a life man. 

I agree, Rangers deserved to milk the Celtic Park victory as much as possible seeing as it was the biggest win in their history.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nalis said:

I agree, Rangers deserved to milk the Celtic Park victory as much as possible seeing as it was the biggest win in their history.

i get that this is sarcastic but they did deserve to celebrate. they didn't "milk" anything. 

it seems to be a recurring theme amongst football fans that you can't celebrate things until you win something. we would've literally celebrated about 10 times in our 140 year history if that was the case. as a football fan who isn't either a weird glory hunter or lucky enough to support someone like man city, you celebrate the good moments that you get following your team. things like loads of our fans laughing at villa because they celebrated a last minute winner, as underdogs, in a semi final just because they lost the final a month later? fu ck off. 

it's like saying we shouldn't have celebrated knockaert's goal at forest. sure it was our first win away against our biggest rivals for about 40 years, sure it was the last kick of the season, sure it was the goal that got us into the play offs at their expense, but we lost a few weeks later so technically it was all irrelevant. but at that time, the same as at the time gerrard's team beat celtic, you are absolutely on top of the world and well within your rights to go as mental as you like. that's literally the whole point of football, to celebrate when you win. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

Because when your winning every trophy in sight for nigh on half a decade you earn the right to milk it like that. What you don’t do is make an arse of yourself after winning one game in what proves to be another season with nothing to show for it at the end.

20 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

i get that this is sarcastic but they did deserve to celebrate. they didn't "milk" anything. 

it seems to be a recurring theme amongst football fans that you can't celebrate things until you win something. we would've literally celebrated about 10 times in our 140 year history if that was the case. as a football fan who isn't either a weird glory hunter or lucky enough to support someone like man city, you celebrate the good moments that you get following your team. things like loads of our fans laughing at villa because they celebrated a last minute winner, as underdogs, in a semi final just because they lost the final a month later? fu ck off. 

it's like saying we shouldn't have celebrated knockaert's goal at forest. sure it was our first win away against our biggest rivals for about 40 years, sure it was the last kick of the season, sure it was the goal that got us into the play offs at their expense, but we lost a few weeks later so technically it was all irrelevant. but at that time, the same as at the time gerrard's team beat celtic, you are absolutely on top of the world and well within your rights to go as mental as you like. that's literally the whole point of football, to celebrate when you win. 

Your taking your argument to the absolute literal definition here, no one is saying you shouldn’t celebrate. Gerrard was well within his rights to celebrate, it was over egging it to the point that it’s come back to bite him on the arse that’s the point. If he never over egged it to such a degree we wouldn’t even be having this conversation now.

Gotta be honest here...doesn't it get boring always winning? I'd say if it was a challenge and you won then fine but it's not even really THAT close. The last 6 or so seasons (without going further) Celtic have won by at least 8 points.  I guess getting euro footy helps a bit but even wankin gets boring when you're  all alone......but it never lets you down so perhaps i answered my own question lol

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Gotta be honest here...doesn't it get boring always winning? I'd say if it was a challenge and you won then fine but it's not even really THAT close. The last 6 or so seasons (without going further) Celtic have won by at least 8 points.  I guess getting euro footy helps a bit but even wankin gets boring when you're  all alone......but it never lets you down so perhaps i answered my own question lol

Had I not lived through the 90s then you’d probably have a point mate, I imagine it would be boring. However, that was my earliest memories of following Celtic, watching Rangers do 9 in a row and not seeing Celtic win a trophy until I was 11 and not winning the league until I was 14. For those reasons it never gets boring and I’m savouring every last moment of this, the fact Rangers have lurched on like a comedy version of a soap opera in the last 8 years merely adds to the joy :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just watching a special edition of Sportscene about the impact of today's decisions on the game up here.

There is some talk of voiding the season's results.

Neil Lennon, anticipating this, has come out and suggested that Celtic should be awarded the league.

We were already approaching a time when 9 in a row or 10 in a row was going to be a discussion.

Unless they later finish the games off, whichever way they decide to go, both sides, both arse cheeks, will be arguing about this for years and years to come.  lol