Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LestaLad

Odsonne Edouard

Guest Cujek

30 million :jawdrop: I havent seen enough to make a truly informed decision.

But 30 Million is a hell of a lot for a striker playing in Scotland, thats a huge huge punt.

Maybe i could accept half that to take him in to Musa territory, but 30 million???

7 minutes ago, Cujek said:

But 30 Million is a hell of a lot for a striker playing in Scotland, thats a huge huge punt.

Maybe i could accept half that to take him in to Musa territory, but 30 million???

:brendan_still: Has many pound notes.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cujek said:

Given some of the carthorses that have went for that and more in the EPL, Benteke, Carrol's etc of this world then £30m for Edouard is the going rate I'm sorry. We undersold Dembele for £20m and we won't make the same mistake with Edouard I don't think.  

If guys like Solanke are worth £20m then £30m for Edouard is a snip.

Edited by henrik_62
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

You can put as much sh*te music across a show reel as you want, still looks like a big punt to me. 

As is every signing to some degree or another, did you not spend close to £30m on Slimani for example?  Van Dijk was a punt when he went to Southampton is an example at the other end of the scale.  Crystal Palace and Warnock had the chance to sign him for £6m but didn't think he was worth the "punt".  There's a risk that any transfer can bomb whether it costs, 5, 10 or 50 million, that's just the way it is nowadays.

Edited by henrik_62

We signed a skinny lad from Fleetwood, that was a risk and he turned out alright. 

Henrik is right, we do have to drop this mentality that if they don't play for a club considered reputable, they're no good. Celtic are still a formidable side, regardless of what league they play in, and have quality players. He looks like a decent player, nice touch, good turn of pace and seems like an all rounder rather than an out and out striker. He is worth the £30m in my opinion. 

Edited by Pliskin
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, lcfcsnow said:

Rugani and Edouard feels like Lee Congerton not what has got us this far.

Congerton has been fine so far so no idea what you’re on about. 

As for Edouard, he’s a class act. Won’t be at Celtic much longer, really modern striker. 

Edited by TJB-fox
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

We signed a skinny lad from Fleetwood, that was a risk and he turned out alright. 

Henrik is right, we do have to drop this mentality that if they don't play for a club considered reputable, they're no good. Celtic are still a formidable side, regardless of what league they play in, and have quality players. He looks like a decent player, nice touch, good turn of pace and seems like an all rounder rather than an out and out striker. He is worth the £30m in my opinion. 

Spot on. Where did Saints get that Dutch lad from, you know whats his name.....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Congerton has been fine so far so no idea what you’re on about. 

As for Edouard, he’s a class act. Won’t be at Celtic much longer, really modern striker. 

TBF a few were a little concerned about the possibility of LC having unfettered access to finding, negotiating prices and agreeing contracts with players based on experience at previous clubs . I think we can have confidence that there is a better system at City . Also Brendan is no fool and has little interest in working with players who are likely to make his life difficult by being crap or disruptive 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, surrifox said:

TBF a few were a little concerned about the possibility of LC having unfettered access to finding, negotiating prices and agreeing contracts with players based on experience at previous clubs . I think we can have confidence that there is a better system at City . Also Brendan is no fool and has little interest in working with players who are likely to make his life difficult by being crap or disruptive 

Sorry that made me chuckle - can just see it

LC : Boss found this pukka RW, left footed and everything, he seems perfect

BR: Any downsides Lee?

LC: Well he is actually crap

BR: Ah, well, maybe we should do some more scouting to be sure then

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, surrifox said:

Yes I know what the worries were regarding Congerton and his Celtic mishaps but there’s been absolutely ZERO sign of that at Leicester. 

Guest Cujek
27 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Given some of the carthorses that have went for that and more in the EPL, Benteke, Carrol's etc of this world then £30m for Edouard is the going rate I'm sorry. We undersold Dembele for £20m and we won't make the same mistake with Edouard I don't think.  

Perhaps, but on his day Benteke was unplayable and scored a boat load for Villa before he went to Liverpool.

Carroll as well, he was immense in some games... in the prem

30 million quid for a player that is totally unproven, no offense but there is a big difference between the SPL and EPL in terms of quality, which means less time, less space, less mistakes from defenders

i know it isn't my money and i do trust Brendan, but 30 million squid is a huge outlay, 20 million i would feel happier at.

also the lack of other links always worries me, if he is worth 30 million, where is the Spurs/Wolves/Palace/West Ham/Man Utd links?

on the other hand, he could be the new Jamie Vardy and 30 million is the new 1 million.

either way, gerrr im in

36 minutes ago, Cujek said:

30 million quid for a player that is totally unproven, no offense but there is a big difference between the SPL and EPL in terms of quality, which means less time, less space, less mistakes from defenders

i know it isn't my money and i do trust Brendan, but 30 million squid is a huge outlay, 20 million i would feel happier at.

Slimani was £27m

Rodgers has worked with him, I'd hazard a guess he will know whether or not he's capable of making the step up.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Cujek said:

Perhaps, but on his day Benteke was unplayable and scored a boat load for Villa before he went to Liverpool.

Carroll as well, he was immense in some games... in the prem

also the lack of other links always worries me, if he is worth 30 million, where is the Spurs/Wolves/Palace/West Ham/Man Utd links?

on the other hand, he could be the new Jamie Vardy and 30 million is the new 1 million.

either way, gerrr im in

Your theory is pretty sound but for me Edouard is already twice the player Benteke is so for that alone any suitor needs to pay the going rate. I’d also argue that in EPL terms £30m nowadays isn’t a huge outlay at all, you see this sort of money changing hands very frequently now and for in many cases very average players.

Guest Cujek
16 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Your theory is pretty sound but for me Edouard is already twice the player Benteke is so for that alone any suitor needs to pay the going rate. I’d also argue that in EPL terms £30m nowadays isn’t a huge outlay at all, you see this sort of money changing hands very frequently now and for in many cases very average players.

Scary that Man Utd are trying to offer us 45million for Maddison then.

Like i say it isnt my money, so get him in.

i can imagine 30 million to Celtic isnt chump change and could buy 2 or 3 decent players for them?

9 minutes ago, Cujek said:

Scary that Man Utd are trying to offer us 45million for Maddison then.

Like i say it isnt my money, so get him in.

i can imagine 30 million to Celtic isnt chump change and could buy 2 or 3 decent players for them?

Yes of course, in the current market Maddison is worth close to double that, that’s my point.

It’s a lot of money to Celtic yes, but that’s my point again, it’s not much in EPL terms these days though. 

Edited by henrik_62

1 hour ago, henrik_62 said:

The only issue for me is whether he can adapt to the premier league

But from what I have seen of him, and in the current market I'd say the £30m is about right, and considering his age and potential to improve, he's probably the best we could get that may not necessarily be expecting to be challenging for a starting spot from the off, so it seems a fair deal for both parties in the summer. Wouldn't be objective to it all be signed off this month to guarantee he's our player and him joining in the summer

Assuming Nacho stays next season, and continues his contribution when called upon, wouldn't be a bad three to run with with Vardy, Eduoard and Nacho,

58 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

You're basing this opinion on a striker being decent in a league where Mark De Vries looked good, and said league is even worse since then. When you're playing against piss poor defenders every week you're bound to look decent regardless of actual ability. I just can't see it myself. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

You're basing this opinion on a striker being decent in a league where Mark De Vries looked good, and said league is even worse since then. When you're playing against piss poor defenders every week you're bound to look decent regardless of actual ability. I just can't see it myself. 

Well.....our current manager said he was pretty good....and he does have a half decent technical scouting department to call out his misdemeanours, so maybe, just maybe....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

I actually do think he's worth that in the market for the reasons mentioned, he's class, but surely it's easy(ish) to unsettle someone north of the border and drive that price down? 

• Like 1