Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LestaLad

Odsonne Edouard

1 minute ago, Langston said:

I actually do think he's worth that in the market for the reasons mentioned, he's class, but surely it's easy(ish) to unsettle someone north of the border and drive that price down? 

Lyon tried that with Dembele, Arsenal done the same with Tierney for the whole of the summer and we ended up getting our asking price for both in the end. I’m not his biggest fan but Lawell is a very hard nosed negotiator and consistently gets us fair prices for our exports. I’d be astonished if Edouard left for any less than £25m.

7 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

There are success stories and disappointments, similar to any prospective signing coming from any league. The alternatives are go and sign someone from a stronger league, say Portugal, you could still end up with a Slimani. Or go and pay the EPL premium and spend some bonkers amount like £70m on Connor Wilson with not much more guarantee of success.

Ouch! Right in the $&£$#. :mad: No need! 

lol

Sensible price, seems a decent player, if all parties can reach an agreement could see it happening in the Summer.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

You're basing this opinion on a striker being decent in a league where Mark De Vries looked good, and said league is even worse since then. When you're playing against piss poor defenders every week you're bound to look decent regardless of actual ability. I just can't see it myself. 

Rodgers has worked with the likes of Suarez and Coutinho.... I'm satisfied he can identify a good player. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 4everfox said:

You're basing this opinion on a striker being decent in a league where Mark De Vries looked good, and said league is even worse since then. When you're playing against piss poor defenders every week you're bound to look decent regardless of actual ability. I just can't see it myself. 

Had the manager responsible for signing De Vries worked with him in the SPL?

How many times do people have to mention that as Rodgers has worked with Edouard that he may have more of an idea of what the player is capable of you than posters on here.

1 hour ago, henrik_62 said:

I’m not trying to even consider arguing the SPFL is even in the same stratosphere as the EPL, it isn’t, it’s of course vastly weaker but you can’t apply this high contrast logic to a player and say he’d be no good simply because of the league he plays in. Football, footballers and their development are far too variable for that and any such approach is the very definition of cutting your nose off to spite your face. Luckily the people who run your club seem to be very much on the ball and wouldn’t have such a simplistic outlook.

Teemu Pukki was garbage in the SPFL and is tearing up the EPL. Van dijk made playing in the SPFL a cakewalk and has done exactly the same in the EPL. Gary Hooper scored a ton of goals in the SPFL and bombed in the EPL.

There are success stories and disappointments, similar to any prospective signing coming from any league. The alternatives are go and sign someone from a stronger league, say Portugal, you could still end up with a Slimani. Or go and pay the EPL premium and spend some bonkers amount like £70m on Connor Wilson with not much more guarantee of success.

Sometimes there is a snobbery on here with regards lesser leagues which is disappointing as most of the people who exhibit this are the same who have a near cardiac arrest at the snobbery of clubs such as Man Utd and their fans when they think they can just cherry pick Leicester players on a whim.

Logged in just to like this post. Top quality and agree with everything you said. Not seen such a well reasoned, logical post on here for a while. X 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hackneyfox said:

Had the manager responsible for signing De Vries worked with him in the SPL?

How many times do people have to mention that as Rodgers has worked with Edouard that he may have more of an idea of what the player is capable of you than posters on here.

I might be wrong, but I reckon Craig Levein signed him after joining us from Hearts, so I'll say yes. I think he signed a couple from Hearts including Dr Vries and Maybury, possibly more. 

What is £30 million in football in this day and age though, really? Everything is inflated up to high heaven I feel like some people are still living in the era where it was only the top sides that can throw that sort of money about. Look at Perez as an example! 

And I like Perez! 

Edited by Manini
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 4everfox said:

I might be wrong, but I reckon Craig Levein signed him after joining us from Hearts, so I'll say yes. I think he signed a couple from Hearts including Dr Vries and Maybury, possibly more. 

Oops you’re right, apologies but I reckon Rodgers has more idea of whether an SPL  player can make it here than Leveine ever did.

7 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

I like him but do we need him? Unless there’s some sort of plan to sell off a few in the summer??

Vardy won’t go on forever and bleeding Edouard or whoever it may be in gradually may help ease the transition to life without Vardy. I’m not suggesting replacing him because no one can do that but you may be able to take the sting out of it a bit now by succession planning properly.

Edited by henrik_62
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

I like him but do we need him? Unless there’s some sort of plan to sell off a few in the summer??

Vardy isn’t getting any younger, that leaves Ihenacho as the only other striker really. Wouldn’t call it a top priority but we could do with someone who can play upfront. I’d have more confidence in Ihenacho stepping up after watching him recently but playing without Vardy gives you the option to play two up front if needs be, to make up for his work rate up there more than anything. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

Vardy won’t go on forever and bleeding Edouard or whoever it may be in gradually may help ease the transition to life without Vardy. I’m not suggesting replacing him because no one can do that but you may be able to take the sting out of it a bit now by succession planning properly.

I’m just not sure there is ever gonna be the perfect time to bleed another striker in, anyone being signed seems a waste of money.