Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LestaLad

Odsonne Edouard

3 hours ago, Manini said:

Vardy isn’t getting any younger, that leaves Ihenacho as the only other striker really. Wouldn’t call it a top priority but we could do with someone who can play upfront. I’d have more confidence in Ihenacho stepping up after watching him recently but playing without Vardy gives you the option to play two up front if needs be, to make up for his work rate up there more than anything. 

I’m not sure we can ever truly replace him - he’s world class and until he has a season where he’s definitely fallen off I can’t see why we should attempt another signing, he is leicester and it doesn’t seem as simple as signing someone to shadow / eventually take over would work  

Just now, lcfc sheff said:

I’m not sure we can ever truly replace him - he’s world class and until he has a season where he’s definitely fallen off I can’t see why we should attempt another signing, he is leicester and it doesn’t seem as simple as signing someone to shadow / eventually take over would work  

Ihenacho is the replacement. I’ve come to my decision. Tonight proved it he’s the Nigerian Torres. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

Best option isn’t trying to directly replace Vardy because we never will, it’s probably to slightly switch our style of play (Not dramatically)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

Need to plan for when IT happens, so I think we do

That could be years away for all we know. We don't need to stockpile strikers to guard against something that's not very likely to happen soon. If we had this Edouard in the squad now, he'd never play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raw Dykes said:

That could be years away for all we know. We don't need to stockpile strikers to guard against something that's not very likely to happen soon. If we had this Edouard in the squad now, he'd never play.

It could. It could not. You would imagine the sports science pay close attention to Vardy's stats, so they would know if looks like a decline is beginning.

So far so good though :thumbup:

16 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

It could. It could not. You would imagine the sports science pay close attention to Vardy's stats, so they would know if looks like a decline is beginning.

So far so good though :thumbup:

Plus a bit of rotation could actually help prolong Vardy's career, especially if we need to save him for Champions League quarter finals and such :scarf:

• Like 4

Seen a few clips for his goals certainly looks like a quality striker 49 goals 27 assists in 112 games at Celtic, has a great first touch likes to run at defenders big aerial presence  I’d say take the chance offer Neil £25m send them one of our young lads on loan too 

Edited by justfoxes

On 08/01/2020 at 16:34, Ric Flair said:

45-50 a season

Don't think Vardy would get close to that number at Celtic, very good player but not suited to playing against packed 10 men defenses most weeks in my opinion.

Eddy is top young player, plenty of pace and composure, he's at his most dangerous when he picks up the ball on the left flank and runs at defender's, his link up play has came on leaps and bounds in the last year and he's starting to look like a complete striker although I would like to see him scoring a lot more headers considering his stature.

His goals per game stats for France under 21's is the best in Frances history and he's up against some incredible players in that comparison.

He has a good pedigree too, was at PSG as a teenager and was at the time a prospect thought of as on the level of Mbappe until he got into some trouble for sniping someone from his room window with an air rifle.😌

We've not had a bit of bother from him though so he seems to have learned his lesson.

As far as the grumbles about the SPFL go a good player is a good player, I can usually tell when a guy is good enough to step up and Eddy definitely is, everyone goes on about the failures but I think people forget that guys like Juninho, Graveson, Lundberg & Barton all flopped badly in Scotland, hell your star man Madison was average at best at Aberdeen, saying that there's no chance he leaves before the end of the season.

Edited by Interested observer
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Interested observer said:

Don't think Vardy would get close to that number at Celtic, very good player but not suited to playing against packed 10 men defenses most weeks in my opinion.

Eddy is top young player, plenty of pace and composure, he's at his most dangerous when he picks up the ball on the left flank and runs at defender's, his link up play has came on leaps and bounds in the last year and he's starting to look like a complete striker although I would like to see him scoring a lot more headers considering his stature.

His goals per game stats for France under 21's is the best in Frances history and he's up against some incredible players in that comparison.

He has a good pedigree too, was at PSG as a teenager and was at the time a prospect thought of as on the level of Mbappe until he got into some trouble for sniping someone from his room window with an air rifle.😌

We've not had a bit of bother from him though so he seems to have learned his lesson.

As far as the grumbles about the SPFL go a good player is a good player, I can usually tell when a guy is good enough to step up and Eddy definitely is, everyone goes on about the failures but I think people forget that guys like Juninho, Graveson, Lundberg & Barton all flopped badly in Scotland, hell your star man Madison was average at best at Aberdeen, saying that there's no chance he leaves before the end of the season.

I’m sorry but our star man is Youri Tielemans. He plays in blue and white...

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/01/2020 at 07:44, Finnegan said:

At the risk of upsetting henrik_62, I don't think he's any better than Nacho. 

I think if you'd played Nacho every day for Celtic for the last couple years and had Edouard struggling for game time here and getting booed when he came on, they'd probably have similar goal records. 

I don't see a finisher any better than a confident Nacho and I think Nacho is a much better passer of the ball and playmaker. 

When we've finally started getting progress out of him, I wouldn't be giving up now. Not when we need wingers desperately. 

That’s a fair enough opinion, I naturally disagree with parts of it but ultimately there may not be much between the players at the moment, not forgetting Nacho was a £25m player which Edouard probably is now, I guess the key is who will unlock the most of their potential and the big question mark would be could Eddy step up to EPL level and keep developing.

One bit I would disagree on having seen a fair bit of both is the playmaker aspect of it, I think Eduoard is miles in front here in terms of his ability to create chances for others and running at defences from deep, Nacho for me is more of a traditional number 9 than Eddy though and if both were at Celtic I’d fancy him to pretty easily out score eddy.

On 14/01/2020 at 17:39, Interested observer said:

Good post and I get your logic about teams playing a low block but even at that Vardy would rattle in 40+ goals up here for fun.

Griffiths in his prime a few seasons back was similar in style, playing on the shoulder of defenders and he got 42 goals that season. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, justfoxes said:

If we do go for this lad and it reads that Brendan is keen on bringing him to the KP offering £20-30m for him I’m sure would be too much to turn down for Celtic ?

Yeah £25m+ gets offered in the summer and Lawell will be driving him to his next club himself.

1 minute ago, henrik_62 said:

That’s a fair enough opinion, I naturally disagree with parts of it but ultimately there may not be much between the players at the moment, not forgetting Nacho was a £25m player which Edouard probably is now, I guess the key is who will unlock the most of their potential and the big question mark would be could Eddy step up to EPL level and keep developing.

One bit I would disagree on having seen a fair bit of both is the playmaker aspect of it, I think Eduoard is miles in front here in terms of his ability to create chances for others and running at defences from deep, Nacho for me is more of a traditional number 9 than Eddy though and if both were at Celtic I’d fancy him to pretty easily out score eddy.

Sorry mate but no, Iheanacho is very much at his best as a "10" supporting a more advanced forward. He's not a "traditional number nine" at all and us trying to play him that way caused a lot of his problems here. 

He's actually low key a very good footballer, smart, good touches, good vision, inventive with how he uses the ball. 

But he's spent most of his time here trapped out of favour, completely without confidence and frustrated which is exactly my point. We only see glimpses of the best he can offer and most outside our season ticket holders probably don't even quite realise it. 

There's genuinely a real player in there. 

• Like 3

Just now, Finnegan said:

Sorry mate but no, Iheanacho is very much at his best as a "10" supporting a more advanced forward. He's not a "traditional number nine" at all and us trying to play him that way caused a lot of his problems here. 

He's actually low key a very good footballer, smart, good touches, good vision, inventive with how he uses the ball. 

But he's spent most of his time here trapped out of favour, completely without confidence and frustrated which is exactly my point. We only see glimpses of the best he can offer and most outside our season ticket holders probably don't even quite realise it. 

At his best at City he played high up as a 9 a lot in place of Aguero, admittedly I’ve not see too much of him since he’s been at Leicester.

Agree in general though there’s defo a player in there. Needs to start showing it consistently soon though or it’ll be wasted potential.

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

Feel no shame in admitting I thought he was done and Man City had totally had our pants down.

Of late, he is really starting to look some player. Much smarter than I thought he was :appl:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Feel no shame in admitting I thought he was done and Man City had totally had our pants down.

Of late, he is really starting to look some player. Much smarter than I thought he was :appl:

The Rodgers effect that! That’s his biggest asset imo, taking players and developing them, when he arrived at Celtic there was 2 or 3 everyone would have chased out the door themselves then a year later they were world beaters (for us anyway), Armstrong, Forrest and McGregor the most obvious ones.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1