Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Calvin Ughelumba

Not something I expected, West Ham interested...

West Ham United have submitted a bid for Leicester City rising star Calvin Ughelumba, Football Insider understands.

The Londoners are actively looking to bolster their defensive options before the transfer window closes and they have lined up a deal for the left-back, 20.

The Hammers see Ughelumba as a potential star in the making and they are hoping to lure him away from their Premier League rivals.

Ughelumba has come through the youth ranks at Leicester after joining the club in 2015 following a successful trial.

The 20-year-old, who can play at left-back as well as centre-back, has yet to make his first-team debut for Leicester.

Ughelumba has been a regular for Leicester’s Under-18s and Under-23s side and featured for them in the UEFA Youth League.

The athletic defender is highly-regarded at Leicester, but West Ham are hoping to persuade him to move down south with the offer of a quicker pathway to first-team football.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-west-ham-submit-bid-for-leicester-city-rising-star/

Anyone know if he is worth trying to keep or should we cash in? Could he be Chilwells back up next season if Fuchs leaves?

Edited by moore_94

Just now, moore_94 said:

West Ham United have submitted a bid for Leicester City rising star Calvin Ughelumba, Football Insider understands.

The Londoners are actively looking to bolster their defensive options before the transfer window closes and they have lined up a deal for the left-back, 20.

The Hammers see Ughelumba as a potential star in the making and they are hoping to lure him away from their Premier League rivals.

Ughelumba has come through the youth ranks at Leicester after joining the club in 2015 following a successful trial.

The 20-year-old, who can play at left-back as well as centre-back, has yet to make his first-team debut for Leicester.

Ughelumba has been a regular for Leicester’s Under-18s and Under-23s side and featured for them in the UEFA Youth League.

The athletic defender is highly-regarded at Leicester, but West Ham are hoping to persuade him to move down south with the offer of a quicker pathway to first-team football.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-west-ham-submit-bid-for-leicester-city-rising-star/

Anyone know if he is worth trying to keep or should we cash in?

Definitely keep! We also have Luke Thomas in that position though who is probably even more highly rated as a prospect at LB. Nice problem to have, but some careful management needed. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Anyone know if he is worth trying to keep or should we cash in? Could he be Chilwells back up next season if Fuchs leaves?

I doubt the amount of cash we might get will have no bearing on whether we try to keep him or not.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Both he and Luke Thomas very promising LBs.

JJ should cover Chilly next season as well as RB, Ughelumba needs lower league first team football & with luck can be the reserve LB the season after. 

Then who knows?

Trouble is that puts him way down the pecking order and at his age hes going to be wanting to play regularly very soon. 

Just don't see that happening for him here. Best thing may be to move him on. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gerard said:

It's all cash dependent so I trust the club to make the right decision.

He's still not had a sniff of the first team squad and at 20yo isn't that young. If the club rate Luke Young with higher potential then maybe a sell.

Wait .......... we have Luke Young at the club. 

He must me about 40!! 

I really like this lad, every time I see him he impresses, he's one we really ought to be finding a decent loan option for now so that he can either take over the back up LB position or be pushing Fuchs hard for it next season. Thomas may well be the better long term prospect in the clubs minds but I feel like he would struggle with the physical side at the moment, Ughelumba wouldn't. 

Edited by nwl fox
  • Like 2