Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Premier League - 30% Player Pay Cut & Money to EFL & NHS

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52148955

:appl:

Premier League clubs will ask players to take a 30% pay cut in order to protect jobs as it was announced the season will not resume until "it is safe and appropriate to do so".

All clubs have agreed to put the proposed "combination of conditional reductions and deferrals" to players.

The Premier League will also give £125m to the EFL and National League, plus £20m to the National Health Service.

Clubs still intend on completing all league and cup fixtures.

"Any return to play will only be with the full support of government and when medical guidance allows," the Premier League said.

"It was acknowledged that the Premier League will not resume at the beginning of May - and that the 2019-20 season will only return when it is safe and appropriate to do so."

• Like 3

It will be a great help to the NHS.

As for the football clubs, I hope it filters down right through the leagues to those who desperately need it, to the grass roots.

Something as insignificant to the Premier League footballer as 15k could secure the immediate future of a non league club.

This seems like more of a PR stunt than a good idea.

The tax revenue on that extra income footballers earn would surely amount to a hell of a lot more than £20mil though?

Surely it doesn't make sense to get rid of a big chunk of tax income right now and instead transfer more tax money from footballers to the NHS?

Either that or footballers donate 30% of their wages to the NHS and fighting the virus rather than taking a 30% pay cut?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Really nice gesture.

It's sad that already I can see people complaining about it. Absolute joy vacuums.

But it makes no economic sense. Most of that 30% paycut for the money Premier League footballers earn are taxes.

It's a PR stunt which is surely actively detrimental to the country's current situation?

Edited by Sampson

12 minutes ago, Preston Fox said:

Should me more IMHO and the players shouldn’t have been asked-they should have offered 

You forget who their dealing with. You think the owners don't have their own self interests? Negotiation is a part of life not some thing to be frowned upon. IMHO

I've got a feeling that this kind of thing would have been in place anyway.

The PL meeting was scheduled for today anyway.

Yesterday's press conference with Hancock's comments probably just influenced the decision to be made today. 

3 minutes ago, Sampson said:

But it makes no economic sense. Most of that 30% paycut for the money Premier League footballers earn are taxes.

It's a PR stunt which is surely actively detrimental to the country's current situation?

It depends where the 30% is going. 

If it's going in the pocket of the clubs, it's a terrible idea. If that money is going straight to the NHS/Charities (like Man United are), then it sounds sensible to me. I presume even with the 30% pay cut, they'll still be paying taxes on the 70% of the remaining income.

I didn't realise every penny of our tax went to the NHS...

Surely helping keep lower league clubs afloat is going to be helpful to the economy and general  mental well being of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people. Jobs will be kept and when football comes back, people are still going to have teams to support. 

Seems fairly decent of them to me. 

Just now, Charl91 said:

It depends where the 30% is going. 

If it's going in the pocket of the clubs, it's a terrible idea. If that money is going straight to the NHS/Charities (like Man United are), then it sounds sensible to me. I presume even with the 30% pay cut, they'll still be paying taxes on the 70% of the remaining income.

If players are just taking a paycut, that surely just means the clubs are keeping that 30%.

As I said - the clubs or the players should have come out and said they're donating that 30% to the NHS or other charities instead - that would surely have been the sensible thing to do?

2 minutes ago, Sampson said:

If players are just taking a paycut, that surely just means the clubs are keeping that 30%.

As I said - the clubs or the players should have come out and said they're donating that 30% to the NHS or other charities instead - that would surely have been the sensible thing to do?

Yup, agree 100%. Wouldn't surprise me if teams like Tottenham make all the players take a 30% cut and then keep the money themselves. A donation to the NHS/other charities would make the most sense.

3 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Surely it will be helpful to some clubs to pay their non playing staff their full pay and to stop them being furloughed? I would be more than happy that the players are taking a cut to pay the staff that help them on a daily basis at the stadium and training ground and are not using the government scheme like spurs and newcastle!

11 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I didn't realise every penny of our tax went to the NHS...

Surely helping keep lower league clubs afloat is going to be helpful to the economy and general  mental well being of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people. Jobs will be kept and when football comes back, people are still going to have teams to support. 

Seems fairly decent of them to me. 

It doesn't all go to the NHS.

It also goes to all those furloughed and jobless workers right now. Including those role-playing staff furloughed by clubs - and across many other industries too. Even if the clubs pass the money on to their own workers and pay them their extra 20% they don't get from the government- surely society's need to spread that money round is far more urgent right now.

It also goes to building infrastructure and keeping the country going right now.

I'm happy to be proven wrong and if clubs release figures showing this is beneficial to the country as a whole then that's great.

But right now, I fail to see who gains from this other than PL football clubs.

Edited by Sampson

I'm a little dumbfounded? The other day it was wrong that clubs are furloughing staff and players were on full pay. The general consensus was the players should take a cut to ensure the non playing staff were paid. They are now doing that and it's still not good enough? There are 500ish premier league players in this country and 2.5 million millionaires. Its hardly seems fair they should take the full media scrutiny. What about the bankers and financiers that are all sat at home earning ridiculous sums too! 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Sampson said:

It doesn't all go to the NHS.

It also goes to all those furloughed and jobless workers right now. Including those role-playing staff furloughed by clubs - and across many other industries too. Even if the clubs pass the money on to their own workers and pay them their extra 20% they don't get from the government- surely society's need to spread that money round is far more urgent right now.

It also goes to building infrastructure and keeping the country going right now.

I'm happy to be proven wrong and if clubs release figures showing this is beneficial to the country as a whole then that's great.

But right now, I fail to see who gains from this other than PL football clubs.

Protect jobs it says.You don’t think that it might be their own jobs that they’re protecting.Penny not dropped yet?The £125 mill for the EFL pays the championship wage bill till August max.Wake up people football as we know it is fecked.

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

Really nice gesture.

It's sad that already I can see people complaining about it. Absolute joy vacuums.

Nothing about being a joy vacuum.

My employer asked us to take 20% cuts and volunteer for as much unpaid leave as we'd like. It was approved in a flash. Anybody with half a brain cell could work out our employer had lost its entire income overnight

What's so different in  players working out they are doing nothing and the club's are earning nothing and collectively deciding to make thier last month's salary of around £250k (after tax) last for four months instead of one?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Hales said:

I'm a little dumbfounded? The other day it was wrong that clubs are furloughing staff and players were on full pay. The general consensus was the players should take a cut to ensure the non playing staff were paid. They are now doing that and it's still not good enough? There are 500ish premier league players in this country and 2.5 million millionaires. Its hardly seems fair they should take the full media scrutiny. What about the bankers and financiers that are all sat at home earning ridiculous sums too! 

No Mate, not EARNING.......Getting!