Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

City planning to return to training in May

Their plan is to have a testing machine for the players to take each day at training. A short 2-3 weeks mini preseason and then 5 weeks in june/July to finish the season behind closed doors apparently.

Seems VERY optimistic but hopefully....

42 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

So if one player in a group is tested positive, what do the rest do? Carry on and play or go into self-isolation? Has to be the latter. So how does the game progress behind closed doors if one team is absent ? 🤷‍♂️

This is the main flaw I see in this "desert island" scenario (which major sports leagues in the US seem to be considering as well).

If one player - or manager, or trainer, or anyone associated with a club - slips past the net and tests positive, the whole team has to isolate.  And any opponent they've recently played - but even if that weren't the case, as you say if one team goes out on quarantine it's not as if everybody else can keep going.  One positive and the whole thing collapses like a house of cards.

4 hours ago, TrentFox said:

So if one player in a group is tested positive, what do the rest do? Carry on and play or go into self-isolation? Has to be the latter. So how does the game progress behind closed doors if one team is absent ? 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

This is the main flaw I see in this "desert island" scenario (which major sports leagues in the US seem to be considering as well).

If one player - or manager, or trainer, or anyone associated with a club - slips past the net and tests positive, the whole team has to isolate.  And any opponent they've recently played - but even if that weren't the case, as you say if one team goes out on quarantine it's not as if everybody else can keep going.  One positive and the whole thing collapses like a house of cards.

This is a potential issue 

I’m not aware whether you can pass on the virus if you haven’t tested positive.  If the virus has entered your system, I doubt you are infectious until you are actually positive. This is nothing to do with showing symptoms which we know is way too late or just don’t show at all.

so the assumption that as soon as someone within a squad/management team gets positive, they are isolated could still mean that the next day others could also test positive.   The only way for it to work is for the squad and management team to go to a location where they are isolated away from others for two weeks before any games commence.  Infact that probably needs to be three weeks because as you say, any of the twenty teams becomes affected and their whole training regime etc is potentially badly damaged and they couldn’t effectively compete.   Once the season recommences, the teams will have to stay away isolated from others unless we have a general background where the virus is under control with huge daily testing to identify new cases/possible hot spots. 

• Like 1

If lockdown is relaxed to a certain level then i see no reason why they can't train. Depending how strict the social distancing measures are, they can do fitness and drills but any training matches will be difficult. Some players are abroad though so might be difficult for them, although I know some flights are still running. 

Be interesting to see how the European countries that are ahead of us cope with the lockdown restrictions because that will tell us if there is any potential of football. 

For games to be played behind closed doors, the government would have to agree to allow gatherings of up to 100, maybe 200 people or so.

I don't think the government could exempt those connected to a football club if the rest of the population are still on some sort of lockdown.

Would certainly be helpful to have accurate testing to show if players, managers, doctors, staff are or had been positive prior to training sessions and matches and then certification would be needed.

Once again, should football related individuals get priority on accurate testing, bearing in mind that we still have an immense amount of work to do to get tests done for all healthcare workers?   

15 minutes ago, TonyN11 said:

For games to be played behind closed doors, the government would have to agree to allow gatherings of up to 100, maybe 200 people or so.

I don't think the government could exempt those connected to a football club if the rest of the population are still on some sort of lockdown.

Would certainly be helpful to have accurate testing to show if players, managers, doctors, staff are or had been positive prior to training sessions and matches and then certification would be needed.

Once again, should football related individuals get priority on accurate testing, bearing in mind that we still have an immense amount of work to do to get tests done for all healthcare workers?   

It's at least 2 months away. 2 months ago we had just drew at home with Chelsea in front of a packed king power and Corona was still a refreshing Mexican beer. A lot can change in 2 months!

1 minute ago, weller54 said:

How many people would need to 'gather' to play a match behind close doors do you think?

22 players.

14 subs.

2 managers + coaching staff/other players
Some family members of players/staff
Few security personnel.

Approximately 70 people?

If you have a date far enough in the future, the necessary conditions for players to stay safe can be put in place. Anyone due to attend gets tested shortly before the game - if test is clear, they are cleared to play in/attend the game?

I don't think it's impossible for games to be played behind closed doors by June. But it's all speculation for now considering lockdown measures at the moment are still in place...

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

22 players.

14 subs.

2 managers + coaching staff/other players
Some family members of players/staff
Few security personnel.

Approximately 70 people?

If you have a date far enough in the future, the necessary conditions for players to stay safe can be put in place. Anyone due to attend gets tested shortly before the game - if test is clear, they are cleared to play in/attend the game?

I don't think it's impossible for games to be played behind closed doors by June. But it's all speculation for now considering lockdown measures at the moment are still in place...

Apparently a fair bit on twitter about 240 being the number. I guess that highlights what we as fans don’t realise is an absolute necessity on match days even without a crowd.