Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Schmeichel Meets Shilton

8 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

Keepers dont do that because you get nowhere near it. There has to be an element of predicting what they are going to do. That's why all players study how opposition players take their penalties and study run ups etc. 

I think if you had one keeper that stood still and one that guessed over their career, you wouldn't see a massive difference. I've never particularly believed that you can guess where someone is going to put the ball. It's why I hate it when commentators say "he's sent the keeper the wrong way". Nope. The keeper guessed and got it wrong. There's not enough time to process that information and make a decision. It's guess work.

What I will say is if you know a player has a favoured side and they're under pressure, they'll most likely go that way. There is no way though that a keeper can watch a players' run up, look assess their body shape, process that information. Then use all of that to make a decision about which play the player will kick the ball. It just happens too quickly, I'll never have it haha.

On 12/05/2020 at 09:56, Rob1742 said:

Steve Walsh is ace, smashing bloke, one of the best 

Yep. I was lucky enough to spend some time with the likes of Walsh, Elliott, Izzett and all top blokes.

Special mention to Muzzy, one of the nicest blokes you could ever meet. 

• Like 1

On 10/05/2020 at 09:52, Rob1742 said:

Nothing, I just really don’t like the way people suddenly turn up at our club when they want a payday. I was dead against a Banks statue when that was discussed as he rarely turned  up apart from his testimonial many years after he left.

I remember another Leicester legend turning up once for work at the club ( not a footballer). He wasn’t the nicest individual, a bit big time, but then when the money ran out he appeared, being paid by the club and being nice to guests in the corporate areas. I ignored him and thought to myself “ you wasn’t this nice a few years ago when you had money, you didn’t have time for people then”

I think we shouldn’t have employed Shilton, I would prefer nobody in place rather than someone who has been missing for decades

On 10/05/2020 at 13:04, UpTheLeagueFox said:

That struck me as odd, I'm glad someone else picked up on it.

He's entitled to live wherever he wants but surely he's minted enough to have a big house.

Name and shame lads, come on!

On 10/05/2020 at 19:58, Wymsey said:

Steve Walsh?

He said non-player.

I'm guessing ex manager but hard to think of someone who would have fit the that profile of going skint and needing money entertaining at Leicester... Brian Little?

1 hour ago, Collymore said:

I'm guessing ex manager but hard to think of someone who would have fit the that profile of going skint and needing money entertaining at Leicester... Brian Little?

I think @Rob1742 is good pals with Brian Little so it wouldn't be him.

Brian is also one of the kindest blokes you could ever meet.

(Don't be blinded by how he left LCFC as manager, he really is a top bloke)

On 11/05/2020 at 12:40, Blue Fox 72 said:

Not sure he is more us than them, he says what his audience at the time wants to hear. Can't warm to him myself. I don't accept him as a true Leicester supporter at all.

Why not? Can agree with your first part to an extent similar to Lineker in that sense but he was clearly a Leicester supporter growing up.

19 hours ago, Collymore said:

He said non-player.

I'm gonna punt at Sir Willie of Thorne. 

Never met him. So have no idea whether he's arrogant or not. But he is always skint.  saw him in town once and he seemed a harmless enough fella. And I loved his star turn in a celebs-go-homeless docu challenge a couple of years ago.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yes said:

Why not? Can agree with your first part to an extent similar to Lineker in that sense but he was clearly a Leicester supporter growing up.

Just my own perception of him due to his persona. Doesn't give any vibes to me that he loves LCFC.

1 hour ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

Just my own perception of him due to his persona. Doesn't give any vibes to me that he loves LCFC.

Fair enough, remember him talking about going to the one of the cup finals when he was young just always assumed he was as much a supporter as the rest of us.

• Like 1

On 15/05/2020 at 01:41, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Brian - wonderful human being. He texted me the other day to see how I was coping with lockdown. As UTL said, great bloke. 
Have had some memorable days and nights out with Brian and his family, which I just will never forget. 

One interesting point is we went to a U23’s game one night at LCFC and he told me he wanted to get there early as he likes to watch the players warm up. I thought it was strange, but we did get there very early watched the warm ups with him as requested. He then pointed at one lad and said “ he is different, he’s the one” I said “ how can you tell from a warm up” he said “ you just can, the touch, the movement and how he applies himself, that lad is different”

We later got the team sheets and it was Coutinho. 

I was just amazed at his knowledge of the game, the detail these people have are incredible. I just sat and listened all night. 

• Like 1

On 15/05/2020 at 01:41, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Yep. I met Brian Little in the club shop - probably around 1992. I was a bit awestruck but he was friendly and had time for all the fans in the shop (this was when it was little more than a kiosk in the old Main Stand).

I didn't begrudge him going to Villa. That was "his" team and it is a real shame the way it was handled.

Those seasons when Little took over were my first as a season ticket holder and there were some amazing memories along the way.

• Like 2

On 15/05/2020 at 12:00, purpleronnie said:

Unfortunately when I hear Shilton's name I just think of him being beaten in air my the tiny Maradona and somehow being lobbed on his own goal line by a Paul parker own goal in semi finals of the world cup.

Be fair. He would have won the ball v Maradona had it it not been for the "hand of god", and - if you're thinking of the same goal as I am - it was a deflection from Parker and Shilton was wrong footed which can happen to any goalie.

Having seen Shilton on a regular basis from shortly after he made he made his debut, he was an excellent goalkeeper. Probably as good as stopper as Schmeicel but dominant in the air too. One of his attributes was the way he dominated the 6 yard area, which is a weakness of Schmeicel.  Shilton was very good at dealing with crosses, corners whereas Schmeicel is far less certain.

Nevertheless,both have been excellent goalkeepers for City, just in different eras. 

On 16/05/2020 at 16:03, oxford blue said:

Be fair. He would have won the ball v Maradona had it it not been for the "hand of god", and - if you're thinking of the same goal as I am - it was a deflection from Parker and Shilton was wrong footed which can happen to any goalie.

Having seen Shilton on a regular basis from shortly after he made he made his debut, he was an excellent goalkeeper. Probably as good as stopper as Schmeicel but dominant in the air too. One of his attributes was the way he dominated the 6 yard area, which is a weakness of Schmeicel.  Shilton was very good at dealing with crosses, corners whereas Schmeicel is far less certain.

Nevertheless,both have been excellent goalkeepers for City, just in different eras. 

Crosses and corners were a world apart from what they are now. I’d be confident Kasper would collect the majority of the ones from years gone by. Obviously it was more physical back then but I think he’d deal with it especially being able to dish a bit out too.