Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

City of Leicester & Leicestershire - The Good and Historical Stuff

42 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Really? Has JD been after smaller independents for a while? 

They’ve bought Footpatrol, Hip Store and Size? In recent years so it does seem to be something they’re doing. Footpatrol & Hip haven’t really changed since they’ve acquired them so hopefully wellgosh continues in that vain 

9 hours ago, Samilktray said:

Wellgosh has been bought by JD Sports. Be a real shame if they were to change anything about the place

Thats a massive shame. Used to enjoy going in there on my lunchtime now and then, hope you’re right in that they’ll keep it the same.

On 08/01/2021 at 22:49, Free Falling Foxes said:

I went a few times and wanted to enjoy it but the penny soon dropped that, whatever the order of the riders was going into the first bend, that was the finishing order most of the time.

Watching that youtube video though makes that comment seem like an exaggeration but that's how it seemed to me.

bit like football then, team that scores first most of the time win

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/ugly-island-landmark-leicester-finally-4882606

'Ugly' island landmark in Leicester finally demolished

An unloved Leicester landmark has been demolished as part of a plan to regenerate a run-down former industrial area of the city.

The cement batching plant on Soar Island has been flattened to make way for some of the 335 new homes that will be built in the Frog Island area as part of a city council-led redevelopment.

The large complex has dominated the area where the Grand Union Canal meets the River Soar, but it has been removed over recent weeks.

Leicester mayor Sir Peter Soulsby said: “That batching plant was always very conspicuous and, in many people’s eyes, an ugly feature.

“I do not think many people will be sorry to see it swept away.

Cement works off Soar Lane, Leicester

6 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Clearly not the time right now but Frog Island needs shops, pubs and restaurants being built for all the flats to succeed. 

Maybe not Frog Is but Woodgate will take some of the trade. Forresters Arms, the remaining pub, also will do pretty well (the landlord there has worked their socks off maintaining darts/pool teams and did used to get the hockey teams playing at St Mags in after games). 

One of my best memories as a teenager was going down Frog Is/Woodgate/Sanvey Gate after England between Denmark, World Cup 2002. The road was shut but the three pubs remained of Friar Tuck/Forresters/North Bridge. Bowley's gaff needs CPOing. Off the top of my head you had 8 pubs on that stretch when I was a kid. Hosiery factories bringing a fair bit of trade. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SemperEadem said:

Yeah Woodgate needs a lift. Drove down there the other week and it looked like the wild west.

Woodgate is the next Clarendon  park. Ok a poor mans Clarendon park but prob the better for it. 

It's Europe central. Rough and ready, bit edgy but up and coming as the Romanians, Portuguese and Poles all progress. DMU Students progress. Close enough to highcross and great central ....and riverside now opening up.

It needs that same oomph that Braunstone Gate had when The Left Bank bar first set up and triggered all the others and for a while, Braunstone Gate was cool as fck

7 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Maybe not Frog Is but Woodgate will take some of the trade. Forresters Arms, the remaining pub, also will do pretty well (the landlord there has worked their socks off maintaining darts/pool teams and did used to get the hockey teams playing at St Mags in after games). 

One of my best memories as a teenager was going down Frog Is/Woodgate/Sanvey Gate after England between Denmark, World Cup 2002. The road was shut but the three pubs remained of Friar Tuck/Forresters/North Bridge. Bowley's gaff needs CPOing. Off the top of my head you had 8 pubs on that stretch when I was a kid. Hosiery factories bringing a fair bit of trade. 

Robin Hood

Friar Tuck

Cricketers

Foresters

North Bridge Tavern

Van Damme

Cumberland Arms

Joiners Arms

Sanvey Gate Tavern

Then into town!!!

• Like 1

Image may contain: one or more people, text that says "FREE CAB TO GET YOUR JAB FOR OVER 80s *T&C'sapply please check our fordetails centre ADT TAXIS DP CALL US TO BOOK AND QUOTE CAB4AJAB 0116 2555222 or 01509 260000"

FREE ADT Taxis for Over 80s who are struggling to get to their vaccination appointments
Please help us share this so local people here in Leicestershire who may be struggling to get to their appointment can get there.
Read More here : http://bit.ly/CAB4AJAB
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, davieG said:

Humberstone Gate before they built the awful Haymarket

image.jpeg.0c84698b0a139c33cd26d924cb656778.jpeg

The Stag & Pheasant Hotel is next to Lea's.

The chemists and the shop next door became "The Irish Manufacturing"

To the East was The Admiral Nelson, The Plough and the quite The Bell Hotel.

3 hours ago, davieG said:

Humberstone Gate before they built the awful Haymarket

image.jpeg.0c84698b0a139c33cd26d924cb656778.jpeg

Hard not to feel a tremendous sense of loss looking at old photographs of Leicester. The Luftwaffe did less damage than post war town planners did 

• Like 1

We're (not exactly) blessed with a fair whack of street level signage looking hideous, it's a problem everywhere but it's particularly notable in Leicester, Granby St and Churchgate are incredible for it. Cheap nail gaffs and Oriental Supermarkets seem to love a honking bit of signage.

• Like 2

On 11/01/2021 at 23:39, Finnaldo said:

Thats a massive shame. Used to enjoy going in there on my lunchtime now and then, hope you’re right in that they’ll keep it the same.

It won’t change…. Is likely to be very light touch…. The same guy still running the store

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

We're (not exactly) blessed with a fair whack of street level signage looking hideous, it's a problem everywhere but it's particularly notable in Leicester, Granby St and Churchgate are incredible for it. Cheap nail gaffs and Oriental Supermarkets seem to love a honking bit of signage.

It’s terrible around the market as well. Lovely ornate buildings with the worst looking vinyl signs you've ever set your eyes upon. Port side Beirut is probably in better nick 

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 1

On 21/01/2021 at 09:02, Stadt said:

It’s terrible around the market as well. Lovely ornate buildings with the worst looking vinyl signs you've ever set your eyes upon. Port side Beirut is probably in better nick 

It breaks my heart looking up as well, even the beautiful buildings we have left are in  disrepair. Stunning fascias and other carpentry slowly rotting away with paint peeling all over the place Greedy landlords won't take care of them even though they're rolling in it. The council should force them if you ask me but that won't happen. Disgusting really. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Soup said:

It breaks my heart looking up as well, even the beautiful buildings we have left are in  disrepair. Stunning fascias and other carpentry slowly rotting away with paint peeling all over the place Greedy landlords won't take care of them even though they're rolling in it. The council should force them if you ask me but that won't happen. Disgusting really. 

The council have been neglectful themselves with few buildings

1 minute ago, davieG said:

The council have been neglectful themselves with few buildings

Oh yeah I can imagine but I work for a few commercial landlords from time to time and they don't give a toss. As long as the buildings don't fall down then all is well. If a tenant brings up anything all you get is 'that's your responsibility '

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Soup said:

Oh yeah I can imagine but I work for a few commercial landlords from time to time and they don't give a toss. As long as the buildings don't fall down then all is well. If a tenant brings up anything all you get is 'that's your responsibility '

Is it, though? Surely the landlord has overall responsibility in law for the properties they rent out?

Google offered this answer:

As a commercial landlord you also have responsibility for the general upkeep and maintenance of the building and its structure. Often however, the accountability is shared between you and the tenant, so if they are paying you a fee for cleaning and maintenance, for example, make sure that the agreement is honoured.

7 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Is it, though? Surely the landlord has overall responsibility in law for the properties they rent out?

Google offered this answer:

As a commercial landlord you also have responsibility for the general upkeep and maintenance of the building and its structure. Often however, the accountability is shared between you and the tenant, so if they are paying you a fee for cleaning and maintenance, for example, make sure that the agreement is honoured.

That may well be the law but in my experience they don't give a shit. 

I've decorated a few offices down on New Walk which the tenants pays for and sometimes there's leaking roofs, old sash windows which are ready to fall out. I patch them but really they need serious money spending on them. I've asked if the landlord would pay for this this and they just laugh. One said it took 3 years to get a scaffold up to fix a leaking  gutter.