Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicester_Loyal

The Politics Thread 2020

5 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I think you're all wrong. I genuinely think it'll go away in a week or two, without Cummings being sacked. 'Lets put this all behind us and move onto the next stage of lockdown, while focusing our efforts on saving lives'.

I could be totally wrong though!

The latest you gov poll has seen Labour nearest to Tory for years 

Anyway, this was incredibly powerful watch on BBC last night. (You know that nasty MSM source) 

6 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I think you're all wrong. I genuinely think it'll go away in a week or two, without Cummings being sacked. 'Lets put this all behind us and move onto the next stage of lockdown, while focusing our efforts on saving lives'.

I could be totally wrong though!

If it moves on, it moves on to their shambolic handling of the pandemic in its early days. With public opinion changed then it could begin to get even messier. 

5 minutes ago, Lionator said:

If it moves on, it moves on to their shambolic handling of the pandemic in its early days. With public opinion changed then it could begin to get even messier. 

If this is the case it is both useless and immoral, as it will be driven purely by the press, and I seriously doubt there is a large appetite amongst the wider public to pick over the bones of this, especially as the financial costs continue to bite whilst the virus costs begin to dwindle. (But that is just my personal "feel")

In terms of review of all stages of the handling of this pandemic, it should be done as a very dry,  academic led study, and certainly not as a front page tabloid expose. I also think this story with DC will pass, there is only so much mileage, new elements it has. (Like it not, he has given his version of events)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

Polls have to be taken with a huge pinch of salt 

You haven’t read my next post then - I’m not making any bold claims about Tories getting surpassed off the back of a poll. To aside, it’s an absolute gigantic task of that happening given the likely boundary changes. 

I’m saying the negative shift on the Tories and positive shift on Labour is a symbol of the public mood which may cause Tory MPs to twitch and agitate. 

It easy to try and make political debate, us and them but I’m not doing that here. Just providing a commentary. 

The Momentum twitter poll is about as much use as a chocolate teapot 

Boris’s appearance before the liaison committee this afternoon could be worth a look at although he appears to have manipulated its effectiveness by getting Bernard Jenkins to chair

Might have a drinking game - half a pint for every question Boris actually answers - fully expecting to be entirely sober at the end

Just now, Mike Oxlong said:

Boris’s appearance before the liaison committee this afternoon could be worth a look at although he appears to have manipulated its effectiveness by getting Bernard Jenkins to chair

Might have a drinking game - half a pint for every question Boris actually answers - fully expecting to be entirely sober at the end

Who is on the committee? How often does this liaison committee happen? 

Just now, StanSP said:

Who is on the committee? How often does this liaison committee happen? 

I’m no expert but from what I can gather it’s a meeting at which  the heads of the various select committees are able to question the PM. It had been chaired by the  head of one of the committees but the pro Johnson Jenkins didn’t get elected as a chair last time round.

PM normally appears before the Liaison Committee every 3 months. Boris is making his first appearance 10 months in. Probably been too busy attending Cobra meetings ! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The latest you gov poll has seen Labour nearest to Tory for years 

Really?
This time last year Labour were ahead of the Tories for about four months (April-July).

Tories dropped to 18% - yes really! - in June last year.

They started to open up a decent gap over Labour when Johnson became PM.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2019/dec/11/election-opinion-polls-uk-2019-latest-poll-tracker-tories-labour

• Like 3

I don't think I can recall a time when the politics / media relationship is quite so antagonistic.  Despite their being a lot of journo's in politics or married to our polticians or becuase of it?  The need for a gotcha moment has been getting more annoying for years;  Anytime a politician changes their mind they are performing a U turn, not just responding to public opinion or new information.  Is that real or the media treating normal adult behaviour as some kind of weakness - for me changing your opinion or policy when new facts emerge should be the status quo. Depressing really.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I don't think I can recall a time when the politics / media relationship is quite so antagonistic.  Despite their being a lot of journo's in politics or married to our polticians or becuase of it?  The need for a gotcha moment has been getting more annoying for years;  Anytime a politician changes their mind they are performing a U turn, not just responding to public opinion or new information.  Is that real or the media treating normal adult behaviour as some kind of weakness - for me changing your opinion or policy when new facts emerge should be the status quo. Depressing really.

The need for a gotcha moment has been around for years surely? Look at how Corbyn was treated. Abbott on the train with a mojito from a can. Ed Miliband with the bacon roll! 

The social media age we're in doesn't help. Everyone wants to be first. Everyone wants the reaction. Everyone (journalists, reporters, presenters, interviewers) wants that big scoop, that quick gambit or bite. It gives airtime to one's who perhaps aren't qualified for it or weren't anywhere near getting it before social media became prevalent. (I include myself in this at times, especially Twitter, so will hold my hands up there!). 

9 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Really?
This time last year Labour were ahead of the Tories for about four months (April-July).

Tories dropped to 18% - yes really! - in June last year.

They started to open up a decent gap over Labour when Johnson became PM.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2019/dec/11/election-opinion-polls-uk-2019-latest-poll-tracker-tories-labour

Oh well Geoff, I was wrong on that a point but it’s a significant shift.

Seems a bit off you raging like this. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Oh well Geoff, I was wrong on that a point but it’s a significant shift.

Seems a bit off you raging like this. 

Hahaha not raging at all, blimey I've even quoted the Grauniad lol

As for significant shift, depends when you compare it to.

Tories polling higher than the GE and Labour about the same.

Lies, damned lies and statistics etc etc

3 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Hahaha not raging at all, blimey I've even quoted the Grauniad lol

As for significant shift, depends when you compare it to.

Tories polling higher than the GE and Labour about the same.

Lies, damned lies and statistics etc etc

I actually think the most worrying of any poll is the survey conducted by Daily Mail which was in the paper today. Although obvs the Mail has influenced that with their telling of the coverage 

• Like 1

Guest Markyblue
9 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Polls mean **** all at this point anyway let's be honest, no way we have an early election again with the amount of power the Tories have now

A week is a long time in politics,  4 years is a lifetime. 

5 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

If this is the case it is both useless and immoral, as it will be driven purely by the press, and I seriously doubt there is a large appetite amongst the wider public to pick over the bones of this, especially as the financial costs continue to bite whilst the virus costs begin to dwindle. (But that is just my personal "feel")

In terms of review of all stages of the handling of this pandemic, it should be done as a very dry,  academic led study, and certainly not as a front page tabloid expose. I also think this story with DC will pass, there is only so much mileage, new elements it has. (Like it not, he has given his version of events)

Yep I think you're absolutely right - by the time the next election comes round the two biggest issues will have been and gone, Brexit and the pandemic.

What I imagine will be crucial will be the economy (as always), how brexit is managed and how we pay back all the damage to the economy. It sounds like that's going to be a real issue for the tories, as their members heavily oppose raising taxes and they think re-employing austerity will not be good news for the electorate. How Sunak navigates this will be a far bigger issue than the handling of the pandemic and DC's movement, but it may leave some scars. Be interesting to see how this goes.

Edited by Abrasive fox

Just now, Abrasive fox said:

Yep I think you're absolutely right - by the time the next election comes round the two biggest issues will have been and gone, Brexit and the pandemic.

What I imagine will be crucial will be the economy (as always), how we navigated brexit and how we pay back all the damage to the economy. It sounds like that's going to be a real issue for the tories, as their members heavily oppose raising taxes and they think re-employing austerity will not be good news for the electorate. How Sunak navigates this will be a far bigger issue than the handling of the pandemic and DC's movement, but it may leave some scars. Be interesting to see how this is navigated.

Lots of navigation in there.