Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicester_Loyal

The Politics Thread 2020

23 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Anyone watching this meeting with the liaison committee? 

Boris isn't really answering the questions :(

Was just watching him bumbling his way through, stonewalling every question about the Cummings affair. Just can’t take it to watch any more. Pathetic.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

41. And in the middle of all this, in case we take our eye off it: we reached 60,000 deaths. One of the highest per capita death rates worldwide.

This is ultimately where Johnson has failed, indecisive leadership during a window of major crisis throughout February and March. 

7 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I can confirm that a Land Rover Discovery 4 (like mine) has a range of well over 300 miles, and comfortably more than that on motorway journeys.

I wonder how it got filled up in London before he left then? Presumably by some non infected manservant.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

The correct way to handle this would have been with a mitigated apology, offering of resignation that Boris refuses, a reprimand and some sort of token gesture. Story blows over.

Agreed. It's not been handled great by the Govt or the media. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lionator said:

This is ultimately where Johnson has failed, indecisive leadership during a window of major crisis throughout February and March. 

Maybe.  It might be that he failed by falling for the Imperial College crazy forecasts, locking down the economy and destroying likley millions of jobs for what has been a blip in deaths (over 500k people die in the UK every year) comparable to a bad flu season.  This will I think be the major talking point, the carnage caused by the lockdown.  Sadly I think many many more will die from the resulting lack of treatment for other health issues, from the loss of their livelihoods (If Austerity kills then so will this recession, you can't have it both ways..).  Lots of people will resist this analysis being done, but it will be, and it will be horrific.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I wonder how it got filled up in London before he left then? Presumably by some non infected manservant.

Probably went to the Tesco Petrol station at Brent Cross and used pay at pump with gloves on.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Reiterated the lie that many of the 'stories' about Cummings were lies.

The two most important were true. Shame nobody asked him as to why either Cummings lied to him about the trip to the castle or why he lied himself to the country if he in fact knew of the trip.

1 minute ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I think he means the total number of deaths from all causes

Yeah I know, still seemed high to me.

Probably warbling. I'm knackered. 2 weeks back at work after 7-8 weeks off doesn't do anyone any good. lol

5 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Is now the time to start quizzing as to whether enough women were involved in the decision making and in the public view? 

Boris' sister made an interesting point about that. Will find the tweet I saw it from... 

11 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Did he actually just say 'I'm forbidden from announcing any more deadlines or targets'. 

Very odd thing for any PM to say :blink:

Is very odd. I didn't know that Dido Harding was overseeing the track and trace app either. People were already worried about their data. She was in charge of Talk Talk when they had a massive data breach years ago - 157k customers financial data was breached. She's also on the main board of the Jockey club which sanctioned Cheltenham earlier this year. 

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Questions have been no better then the media ones we get on the daily briefing 

3 minutes ago, Guesty said:

Is very odd. I didn't know that Dido Harding was overseeing the track and trace app either. People were already worried about their data. She was in charge of Talk Talk when they had a massive data breach years ago - 157k customers financial data was breached. She's also on the main board of the Jockey club which sanctioned Cheltenham earlier this year. 

It was announced 3 weeks ago that she was going to be overseeing it 

1 hour ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Johnson wants the people to “move on” with him to the next stage but seems oblivious to the notion that it may be difficult to trust in government when there is a lack of consistency, honesty and openness 

I won't move on until the cut and paste Tory MP tweets have told us.

That's the confirmation we need.

57 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Maybe.  It might be that he failed by falling for the Imperial College crazy forecasts, locking down the economy and destroying likley millions of jobs for what has been a blip in deaths (over 500k people die in the UK every year) comparable to a bad flu season.  This will I think be the major talking point, the carnage caused by the lockdown.  Sadly I think many many more will die from the resulting lack of treatment for other health issues, from the loss of their livelihoods (If Austerity kills then so will this recession, you can't have it both ways..).  Lots of people will resist this analysis being done, but it will be, and it will be horrific.

60k deaths is not a blip.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

Questions have been no better then the media ones we get on the daily briefing 

Valid point but ever think that the questions keep being asked because there's no proper answer given, or an answer with any clarity?

2 minutes ago, Corky said:

I won't move on until the cut and paste Tory MP tweets have told us.

That's the confirmation we need.

At least they put a bit of personal effort into sending out the same message unlike the Labour mps with there cut and paste job 

2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

The last bit though, I am not so sure on.

I agree he would be better to say "you got me, I did what I thought was best, but accept it did not match recommendations, sorry!", but if he had offered to resign and Boris rejected the offer, I suspect that the public would be on Boris' back demanding he sack him regardless.

It's fairly standard procedure when an underling, and he is an underling, has embarrassed his high profile boss. It shows contrition on the part of the underling and reinforces the balance of power between the two. It takes all emphasis off the underling and back on to the boss who makes a short statement saying he has done wrong and has been reprimanded suitably but the actions were understandable in these unprecedented times and it did not warrant a valuable asset to the government losing his job. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

It's fairly standard procedure when an underling, and he is an underling, has embarrassed his high profile boss. It shows contrition on the part of the underling and reinforces the balance of power between the two. It takes all emphasis off the underling and back on to the boss who makes a short statement saying he has done wrong and has been reprimanded suitably but the actions were understandable in these unprecedented times and it did not warrant a valuable asset to the government losing his job. 

Ooh he’s good. Next time I embarrass my boss at a company do, can you right me a nice little speech?  :D