Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

4 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

I personally don’t test etc now but surely you can understand why some do especially if they have old relatives that they don’t want to infect? 

I get why you would want to be cautious but as mentioned above if you’re ill with a cold/flu you’re not going to go near them anyway. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Finally got Covid, and had just a very sore throat for a couple of days after taking the antivirals.

After 7 days I tested negative and assumed it was done, but the next day tested positive again, and I’m now 2 weeks in and still positive with no symptoms. Am I still actually infectious? I don’t want to spread to others as I realise that though I’ve had a mild reaction, some people might not.

I was wondering if the antivirals perhaps clear most of the infection without the body learning how to do so, so residual virus then reinfects until the body has gained more immunity, thus prolonging the positive period.

Infection bounce back is a thing with the antivirals, it happened to Biden. 

• Thanks 1

Guest Sideshow Faes
2 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Do you test for a cold too?

What happens if you do have Covid? Do you go to work? Do you have to isolate from work? 

A couple of million people have long covid issues ranging from annoying to debilitating. That alone is good enough reason to test. 

A cold isn't one virus so couldn't be tested for. And also doesn't lead to long term health conditions for a significant % of the population. 

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

So can flu, norovirus a heavy cold, bronchitis, tonsillitis ...none of which we test for 

Nobody has long flu.

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

What do you do with the information though?

That's a fair question. Or depends on your situation I guess. Try to be sensible. Don't go on packed public transport. Wear a mask. Work from home if it's possible. Generally try to avoid passing it on.

8 minutes ago, Sideshow Faes said:

Try to be sensible. Don't go on packed public transport. Wear a mask. Work from home if it's possible. Generally try to avoid passing it on.

That's kinda the point. You shouldn't need a test to tell you to do that. And those cautious measures are applicable just as much to a cold as they are covid. 

I'm amazed that people still enjoy 'grandstanding' with covid 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

That's kinda the point. You shouldn't need a test to tell you to do that. And those cautious measures are applicable just as much to a cold as they are covid. 

Both sides who do it are so silly. The truth is in the middle. It was very serious, then the vaccine came along and made it a lot less serious. It’s now just another viral infection for most but can be nasty for a few. 

6 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

If your feeling ill with cold/flu symptoms most would avoid mixing with others anyway. Sensible folks don't need a test result to help them make that decision. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

So can flu, norovirus a heavy cold, bronchitis, tonsillitis ...none of which we test for 

COVID was a novel virus that people were unsure as to how it would affect them. Distinguishing between it and colds and flu was important as we all know how cold and flu affects us and if people are at risk.

Granted I'd be surprised if anyone has not had COVID yet and the only people you'd want to test are those who are coming into contact with people who've not had COVID and are in an at risk group. 

For those who've had the pleasure of norovirus and tonsillitis before, symptoms are so bleeding obvious not sure you'd want to test.

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

I personally don’t test etc now but surely you can understand why some do especially if they have old relatives that they don’t want to infect? 

Not really no. If I want to protect old relatives, I wouldn’t go and see them if I had a cold or D&V either

Edited by The Year Of The Fox

Guest Sideshow Faes
48 minutes ago, Otis said:

If your feeling ill with cold/flu symptoms most would avoid mixing with others anyway. Sensible folks don't need a test result to help them make that decision. 

Which would be fair enough, if we didn't have so many dunces around that aren't sensible. 

Amazing how some people seem to get so worked up about other people testing themselves trying not to unnecessarily spread a virus to potentially vulnerable people. If you don’t want to test then don’t. I’m doing so for specific reasons that I outlined above. The only thing I’m interested in is whether I’m infectious and likely to pass it on to others. If I am infectious I would prefer not to pass it on. I don’t see why that’s so controversial.

I’m not symptomatic, so testing is the only way to determine my status. My original question above was simply to see if anyone had thoughts on whether being positive after 14 days meant I was still infectious. It amuses me that it seems to offend the libertarians.

From the point of view of society at large, it’s true that it isn’t necessary unless hospitals are threatened with being swamped, which doesn’t seem to be likely now.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Amazing how some people seem to get so worked up about other people testing themselves trying not to unnecessarily spread a virus to potentially vulnerable people. If you don’t want to test then don’t. I’m doing so for specific reasons that I outlined above. The only thing I’m interested in is whether I’m infectious and likely to pass it on to others. If I am infectious I would prefer not to pass it on. I’m not symptomatic, so testing is the only way to determine my status. My original question above was simply to see if anyone had thoughts on whether being positive after 14 days meant I was still infectious. I don’t see why that’s so controversial. It amuses me that it seems to offend the libertarians.

From the point of view of society at large, it’s true that it isn’t necessary unless hospitals are threatened with being swamped, which doesn’t seem to be likely now.

So what's the point in testing, if the test result is positive you're still asking the same question?

And by that rule you'd end up testing yourself everyday of your life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

You only have to scroll back one page to see that covid can still have an impact on those with a suppressed immune system. 

I probably wouldn’t test even if I was poorly unless I was due to meet older relatives who were vulnerable. But the ‘skiving from work’ thing from some is pathetic. Grow up. 

Theres a company I know whose employees test for this very reason. If you don’t think that’s the case in some circumstances then perhaps it’s you who needs to grow up? 

• Like 2

Just now, Otis said:

So what's the point in testing, if the test result is positive you're still asking the same question?

And by that rule you'd end up testing yourself everyday of your life.

What?

If you really must know, my sister had some cold like symptoms. As we look after my aging father between us she tested to see if she had Covid and it was positive. As I had been in contact with her I tested and was also positive. I didn’t want to pass it on to my wife as she has been waiting for some time for a hospital procedure and having Covid could mean that she might lose her slot (we don’t really know). 

Anyway, I have been isolating from her to avoid passing it on and this has been successful. I’m not symptomatic after 14 days, but still testing positive and still don’t want to risk giving it to her if I can. So I was enquiring if anyone might have any information.

Is that Ok with you?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Anyway, I have been isolating from her to avoid passing it on and this has been successful. I’m not symptomatic after 14 days, but still testing positive and still don’t want to risk giving it to her if I can. So I was enquiring if anyone might have any information.

Exactly. You either trust the test or you don't?

I would have thought if you're not feeling any effects you'd be OK.

45 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Always suspected either/or are on record saying this and it's being held back for pre-election.  Considering the abhorrence of it, very little has been made of it which seems odd.

48 minutes ago, Daggers said:

These people aren’t right in the head. 

I dunno. The same conversation certainly ran through my social circles just to let it rip through, particularly the young, and that many of those who died were on their way out anyway. 

Brutal conversation but one I'd expect a government to weigh up. 

Part of this enquiry should be to establish what may have happened had we 'let it rip' like them in Florida, Sweden, Brazil and India (all of which are, to my knowledge, still in existence) 

30 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

True. And it should be a reasonably short discussion ending with the conclusion that valuing money over human life and health is "practical" in some circles but also morally abhorrent in all of them.

I don't think the discussion is just a financial cost)benefit analysis...though that's part of it (just as the NHS won't fund, say, certain cancer treatments on the basis of cost) 

The equation that needs reviewing was the decision to place 60 million under house arrest for months saved how many patients? How many of those 60 million died of something else because of house arrest? How many elderly would've died anyway?

• Like 2