Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Guest Harrydc
26 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Restrictions coming back in January until early spring when cases inevitably rise during December/early 2021

Surely we cant still be having restrictions heading in to 2022... 

33 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

Surely we cant still be having restrictions heading in to 2022... 

Quite possibly and maybe beyond. We are living with a global pandemic which will very likely become endemic and require periodic vaccination. Until we have a vaccine, then expect this disruption to continue. Even then, it is unlikely to be fully effective. A partially effective vaccine is preferable to no vaccine at all. The annual flu vaccination is only 50% effective, but it plays a huge part in reducing the clinical impacts of flu in the population. 

Accept that the world as you knew it has changed and be prepared to change with it. 

Guest Harrydc
Just now, Line-X said:

Accept that the world as you knew it has changed and be prepared to change with it

This is not something I can do. I am not social distancing and wearing a mask in 10 years. 

2 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Quite possibly and maybe beyond. We are living with a global pandemic which will very likely become endemic and require periodic vaccination. Until we have a vaccine, then expect this disruption to continue. Even then, it is unlikely to be fully effective. A partially effective vaccine is preferable to no vaccine at all. The annual flu vaccination is only 50% effective, but it plays a huge part in reducing the clinical impacts of flu in the population. 

Accept that the world as you knew it has changed and be prepared to change with it. 

Accept the world has changed - that's possible.  But accept that the world has changed to the extent that grandparents and grandchildren must not meet - never.  Some things in life are more important than to keep breathing for as long as possible.

So far in this pandemic, based on 42,000 deaths with average life expectancy of 12 years at time of death (which is the highest possible estimate), life expectancy in the UK has reduced by 1 week.  We are not entering permanent lockdown for an extra week of life.

5 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

This is not something I can do. I am not social distancing and wearing a mask in 10 years. 

You probably won't need to, although you are presumably aware that coronaviruses are a diverse and highly successful family that have adapted to occupy a slew of animal species, including birds, cats, dogs, pigs, mice, horses, whales, monkeys, ferrets, camels and cows. There are hundreds of known coronaviruses, which fall into four genetically different genera, or subgroups: alpha and beta - those that mainly infect mammals; and gamma and delta, which mainly infect birds. Often, they don't make their host sick, and most cannot transmit from one species to another. But occasionally, when a virus evolves a mutation that benefits its ability to thrive, it can jump species, or "spill over." If the mutated virus can replicate to high enough levels, it can cause an outbreak among humans or other animals. A similar global pandemic may very possibly happen again in "10 years" and yes you will indeed be social distancing and wearing a mask. 

6 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Accept the world has changed - that's possible.  But accept that the world has changed to the extent that grandparents and grandchildren must not meet - never.  Some things in life are more important than to keep breathing for as long as possible.

So far in this pandemic, based on 42,000 deaths with average life expectancy of 12 years at time of death (which is the highest possible estimate), life expectancy in the UK has reduced by 1 week.  We are not entering permanent lockdown for an extra week of life.

??? Who is suggesting permanent lockdown?

We are talking about responsible social distancing and the sporadic need for provincial or national lockdown measures until a vaccine becomes available. 

Guest Harrydc
1 minute ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

**** that, I’d rather just top myself 

Humans are social beings. If there is still (anti)social distancing in years to come it would definitely not be a pleasant world.  

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

What do we make of the scenes in Liverpool then? Will there be a mass outbreak after their behaviour in the streets? 

The same Leicester lot on twitter calling for mass disorder and ignoring of the rules are being cry arses today about it because it happened to be in a City they have a problem with.

All of the economic pain, the misery of not been able to visit relatives.

All for this.

So the earlier image I posted showed pubs are 7.5x more likely to spread vs 6 or less in a home, it turns out schools are 3x over pubs.  Uni's are slightly behind in second place, so homes been closed in local lockdown areas, are 22.5x less likely to spread vs schools.  NI has already decided to close schools, now this is out public opinion will change.

The situation has changed, initially it was education vs health argument and was easy to say education comes first, but now businesses are starting to be locked down its become education vs economy.

The question is how much of the national media will report this, especially the BBC.

Edited by Chrysalis

43 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

**** that, I’d rather just top myself 

40 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

Humans are social beings. If there is still (anti)social distancing in years to come it would definitely not be a pleasant world.  

Reckon we'd end up with a greater proportion of psychopaths in society which cant be a good thing.

Edited by Nalis

48 minutes ago, Line-X said:

We are talking about responsible social distancing and the sporadic need for provincial or national lockdown measures until a vaccine becomes available. 

What exactly do you mean by "responsible social distancing"?  Are you talking about the 2 metre rule?

57 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Can you just read that back to yourself and think about what you are typing. 

Anyone who thinks that restricting our basic freedoms is OK needs mental help. Seriously, get help, now.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, simFox said:

Can you just read that back to yourself and think about what you are typing. 

Anyone who thinks that restricting our basic freedoms is OK needs mental help. Seriously, get help, now.

Your 'basic freedoms' is the reason that we have a second wave. Your appeal to emotion is irrelevant. Are you opposing the current SAGE 'circuit breaker' proposals? 

The decision to impose a temporary lockdown in response to the rapidly increasing rate of infection and death rate involves weighing harms against each other.  Nor do these harms simply relate to public health on the one hand and civil liberties on the other.  There is no strand of social policy which is untouched by the crisis: both action and inaction would have profound implications for the economy, national security, diplomacy, trade, law and order, culture, community cohesion, leisure, politics, education, and personal well-being.  Under the UK’s constitution it is the role of the executive, democratically elected and accountable, to decide what priorities should be and how to achieve them. The government chose to resist the calls for a national lockdown to protect the economy and avert the national backlash. 

Edited by Line-X

30 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

What exactly do you mean by "responsible social distancing"?  Are you talking about the 2 metre rule?

Yeah, maintaining at least 6 feet from other people who are not from your household in both indoor and outdoor spaces.

9 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Yeah, maintaining at least 6 feet from other people who are not from your household in both indoor and outdoor spaces.

That's what I thought you meant.  Have you thought it through?  Two metres distance, remember, is how close you are allowed to come to someone in passing.  Two metres is the minimum you can do.

What you can't do under social distancing is football crowds, wedding parties, any sort of party in fact, card games, dancing (unless 2m apart), public meetings, church, foreign holidays, cups of tea with friends.  You aren't just talking about passing wider in the street - you're advocating the permanent, or at least indefinite, cessation of social activity.  This disease is not worth it.

Edited by dsr-burnley
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

That's what I thought you meant.  Have you thought it through?  Two metres distance, remember, is how close you are allowed to come to someone in passing.  So when you say "the world has changed" and advocate the two metre rule, you are saying no more football crowds, no more wedding parties, no more of any sort of party in fact, no more card games, no more dancing (unless 2m apart), no more public meetings, no more church, no more foreign holidays, no more cups of tea with friends.  You aren't just talking about passing wider in the street.

I think there's a fair few members in this thread that would be delighted for talking to another human face to face to be made illegal :D

2 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

That's what I thought you meant.  Have you thought it through?  Two metres distance, remember, is how close you are allowed to come to someone in passing.  So when you say "the world has changed" and advocate the two metre rule, you are saying no more football crowds, no more wedding parties, no more of any sort of party in fact, no more card games, no more dancing (unless 2m apart), no more public meetings, no more church, no more foreign holidays, no more cups of tea with friends.  You aren't just talking about passing wider in the street.

No, I am saying social distancing where practical and in passing as a necessity until a vaccine is available. You'll find that you can still have a cup of tea with friends and maintain six feet separation. 

26 minutes ago, Line-X said:

No, I am saying social distancing where practical and in passing as a necessity until a vaccine is available. You'll find that you can still have a cup of tea with friends and maintain six feet separation. 

As long as it's only temporary I can accept, if not agree, the point.  When you said "the world has changed" I assumed you meant permanently.

Of course, the obvious next question was how long we wait for the vaccine.  Back in April, they were hoping for October.  Now it's October, they're hoping for spring.  We don't seem to be getting closer.

Edited by dsr-burnley