Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

I think there will be a circuit break during half term but in true government style they won't announce it until the day before, and I think Starmer thinks this too which is why he's made his press conference today so it looks like he has forced the government to do something. 

Assume they'll be some evidence to suggest a 2 week lockdown works? 

18 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I think there will be a circuit break during half term but in true government style they won't announce it until the day before, and I think Starmer thinks this too which is why he's made his press conference today so it looks like he has forced the government to do something. 

Assume they'll be some evidence to suggest a 2 week lockdown works? 

10 minutes ago, martyn said:

Absolute no brainer political move for Starmer this.

Scientists support him, it stops the "Captain Hindsight" retaliation, and it's likely the lockdown will come anyway, making it look like he effected it.

Yep 100% he's made this move for those reasons. It's the right thing to do though, the Government has totally lost control.

I thought the Government's biggest mistake in handling this pandemic was their delay in locking down in the first place, but now I think it was the decision to appoint Dido Harding as head of Track and Trace. Though it's not all on her shoulders, our inability to quickly find outbreaks so we can stop spreads as fast as possible is almost non-existent. Until this is fixed, if it ever is, it's likely we are going to swing from one lockdown to another to prevent hospital beds from being overrun unless some sort of herd immunity is achieved (if even possible) or a vaccine is readily available that works. The point of the original lockdown was to give hospitals enough capacity to deal with current cases and prepare the country so we were ready when we re-opened. But the latter part has failed so we end up in the situation we find ourselves in now.

Absolute shambles. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I do hope some of the vulnerable people are eating less and getting more exercise and not just carrying on doing the things that make them fall into the vulnerable category in the first place.

I’ve heard absolutely every vulnerable person has eaten too much and that’s why they are classed as such.

I'll be interested to see reaction of labour leaders and supporters in Manchester and Liverpool now that Starmer has said hospitality should be closed down. 

How many would settle for a relatively strict October and November if they opened up a bit in December? I know there is no guarantee that would happen, but hypothetically, I would take that. I appreciate not everyone would survive that though and I am in a position where I can work from home.

4 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

So in the pub in Leicester city centre, you're not allowed to mix households now? I'm assuming the staff ask if you're from the same household and that's it? No proof needed?

It's the case where I am too, I nipped in on my way home from work to my local and 6 six blokes who usually sat together were all sat on a table each lol

Edited by RowlattsFox

3 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

It's the case where I am too, I nipped in on my way home from work to my local and 6 six blokes who usually sat together were all sat on a table each lol

****ing madness mate, every 6 weeks or so I go out and there's a change just before I do, first they closed, then there was the 10pm curfew, now thislol

If they bring in a two week lockdown now, I'm not convinced that this will work.  Seasonal respiratory viruses increase early September through to the early new year.  If you are going to bring it in, do so over the Xmas break when the majority of the rise in cases has happened.  That is what the "non-mainstream" scientists will tell you.

If Boris introduces it now, and it doesn't work, then what?  He's lost all credibility at that point and the control, or little of it he has, is utterly gone.

To be fair, the restrictions he's brought in, on paper, are fine.  What isn't fine is that many of these are in guidance, and he hasn't strictly enforced these through law.  

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

I'm sure at some point people will give up and demand a normal life. But then, perhaps when parents and grandparents start dying they realise they've been a bit of a selfish c***.  It's been 6 months so far and people are willing to basically sentence huge numbers to death so they can go football or to a concert?

More to do with mortgages/rents, feeding your family and ensuring you've got a source of income in most cases. I don't think many people are that fussed about attending concerts or football, the majority of people who are against lockdowns and restrictions just want to do what's best for themselves and their families. I certainly wouldn't call them selfish ***** for doing so.

10 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

More to do with mortgages/rents, feeding your family and ensuring you've got a source of income in most cases. I don't think many people are that fussed about attending concerts or football, the majority of people who are against lockdowns and restrictions just want to do what's best for themselves and their families. I certainly wouldn't call them selfish ***** for doing so.

Nobody has. 

25 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I'll be interested to see reaction of labour leaders and supporters in Manchester and Liverpool now that Starmer has said hospitality should be closed down. 

How many would settle for a relatively strict October and November if they opened up a bit in December? I know there is no guarantee that would happen, but hypothetically, I would take that. I appreciate not everyone would survive that though and I am in a position where I can work from home.

I reckon pubs in December would be carnage if that happened, partly as a blowout and partly as many might think we'd end up on another lockdown between January and March if it did happen.

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

'I'm sure at some point people will give up and demand a normal life. But then, perhaps when parents and grandparents start dying they realise they've been a bit of a selfish c***.'

If you could point out the part where I said people who want to put food on the table. I never specifically went into detail about who I would consider said selfish *****.

29 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I’ve heard absolutely every vulnerable person has eaten too much and that’s why they are classed as such.

There are vulnerable people who can do something about the bracket they find themselves in, personal responsibility needs to be taken.

Im fully aware that there are plenty of vulnerable people who cannot help being in the bracket due to age, injuries and diseases and are unable to exercise.

On the flip side there are plenty who can change their health around, follow government advice and get on a bike etc and lessen the increasing burden on the health service.

• Like 2

Just now, Babylon said:

If you could point out the part where I said people who want to put food on the table. I never specifically went into detail about who I would consider said selfish *****.

Right so you just said anyone who wants a 'normal life' is a selfish ****lol You can't just group millions of people as that for wanting what's best for their family/business/life.

Just now, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

There are vulnerable people who can do something about the bracket they find themselves in, personal responsibility needs to be taken.

Im fully aware that there are plenty of vulnerable people who cannot help being in the bracket due to age, injuries and diseases and are unable to exercise.

On the flip side there are plenty who can change their health around, follow government advice and get on a bike etc and lessen the increasing burden on the health service.

I did a lot of walking during the lockdown, it helped me lose 3/4 KGs, although I've probably put it all back on nowlol

This was the perfect time for people to lose weight while on furlough etc.

• Like 1

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

Right so you just said anyone who wants a 'normal life' is a selfish ****lol You can't just group millions of people as that for wanting what's best for their family/business/life.

I'm talking about non necessities quite bleeding obviously.

• Haha 1

One of the year bubbles from the kids school got sent home today after 1 child tested positive from a different year. Nearly made the whole school term with out closing any classes.wouldn't  mind if they shut the school for 3 weeks for half term to see if it helped at all. I know a lot of people can’t afford to keep the kids at home due to work and stuff so I know a few people may disagree which is fine. 

1 hour ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Agreed but your post made it sound like you thought all vulnerable people were in that bracket to me.