Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

19 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Yeah it's really refreshing to have a clear route out of the whole thing. I think the government know that a quick vaccine roll out is the only chance they have to save face after the absolute clusterfvck of the last 10 months, and they're throwing everything at it. 

It's their shot at redemption. They know that if they get this vaccine rolled out pretty much before the rest of the world and we see a significant reduction in hospital admissions and deaths, the public will mostly forget or overlook the shambolic way that they have handled other aspects of the pandemic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

It's their shot at redemption. They know that if they get this vaccine rolled out pretty much before the rest of the world and we see a significant reduction in hospital admissions and deaths, the public will mostly forget or overlook the shambolic way that they have handled other aspects of the pandemic.

Yeah absolutely, get every adult vaccinated by the summer and they'll never let us forget it.

36 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Yeah it's really refreshing to have a clear route out of the whole thing. I think the government know that a quick vaccine roll out is the only chance they have to save face after the absolute clusterfvck of the last 10 months, and they're throwing everything at it. 

Just a shame the public aren’t going to be held to account in the same way isnt it?

The government have dropped some right clangers but if you are putting the sole blame for this mess squarely at their feet, you’re miles off

The catalogue of errors made by ‘the people’ during this pandemic should never be forgotten.

39 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Fascinating how you’ll even turn this incredible effort into a negative isnt it

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

Just a shame the public aren’t going to be held to account in the same way isnt it?

The government have dropped some right clangers but if you are putting the sole blame for this mess squarely at their feet, you’re miles off

The catalogue of errors made by ‘the people’ during this pandemic should never be forgotten.

Oh absolutely. But by the same measure the public should be praised for a good level of uptake of the vaccine so far, compared to say, France. 

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

Personally I'd allocate 70% of the blame to the government and 30% to the public. 

FYI, it is possible and allowed to commend the government on this vaccine rollout (is it successful because NHS and local areas managed the rollout?) and also be totally dismayed with them at how they've managed the pandemic up to now. 

It doesn't have to be one or the other but there's no way some of the stuff in the last 10 months will be forgotten. Same way the vaccination numbers and uptake won't be forgotten either. 

• Like 2

It's fairly meaningless comparing the public's blame with the government. There is one prime minister one health minister, one home secretary, 650 mps etc voted,for by the people to make decisions and be held accountable for them. 

The public consists of 67 million people of all different ages, races, cultures, religious views, employments types, incomes etc etc some have been very compliant with the rules some have been mainly compliant and others not at all. This was inevitable at the start of the pandemic though not helped by Barnard Castlegate and will have a happened in every other westernised country. 

Blaming the public is pointless because 67 million people can't be held accountable individuals can and have been. but the concept of the public is an intangible like a general blaming the weather for defeat on the battlefield! 

10 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Seems like the governments agenda on this has saved some face then.

So you think 30% of the public have ignored everything then?

I suppose I didn't really think it through. The general point is that I think the actions or in many cases lack of actions of the government greatly outweigh some bellends holding house parties and not wearing masks in supermarkets. 

4 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Nothing at all to the virus itself?

I was referring specifically to why we as a nation have generally not dealt with it very well. The whole world is dealing with more or less the same issue and some nations have handled it better than others. I acknowledge that is difficult to directly compare nations as there are potentially many variables including population density, climate, age of population, ways of recording deaths etc. but it's not completely invalid. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, StanSP said:

FYI, it is possible and allowed to commend the government on this vaccine rollout (is it successful because NHS and local areas managed the rollout?) and also be totally dismayed with them at how they've managed the pandemic up to now. 

It doesn't have to be one or the other but there's no way some of the stuff in the last 10 months will be forgotten. Same way the vaccination numbers and uptake won't be forgotten either. 

Maybe you're right, but some people maybe optimistically were reacting to issues such as how the Dominic Cummings incident was handled as though it would be some sort of gamechanger as to which way people will vote come the next general election, when in reality it will be more or less completely forgotten about.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I was referring specifically to why we as a nation have generally not dealt with it very well. The whole world is dealing with more or less the same issue and some nations have handled it better than others. I acknowledge that is difficult to directly compare nations as there are potentially many variables including population density, climate, age of population, ways of recording deaths etc. but it's not completely invalid. 

mainly because there are a-holes like this living among us, there are many other examples i can pull up from the past 2 days alone, people travelling 300miles for walks with a view, people travelling miles to parties, people holding the parties, people travelling from Scotland to Wales to visit friends, people going from Bolton to Preston to pick up a takeaway all reported in various news feeds, this is happening every w/end & probably most nights

but these take the biscuit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-55705272

i will await the yeah but if Cummings hadn't done it, then..............

Edited by BKLFox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Its a combination of both really butnlets be honest its only the minority of the public that have acted irresponsibly.

1 hour ago, BenTheFox said:

Personally I'd allocate 70% of the blame to the government and 30% to the public. 

Just don’t think people who live in glass houses should throw stones

If you’ve, as much as you can, kept yourself safe, kept others safe, stuck at least mainly within the rules etc etc then you’ve got an argument to make. If you haven’t, you’ve not helped yourself or others and are equally as culpable as the government, I’d argue more so personally. What this pandemic has shown me are a few things. That some people are more daft and selfish than I thought they were, that people don’t take self responsibility anywhere near as seriously as they should and that they blame game’ is alive and well in the UK

There are some who have been amazing throughout.. the frontline NHS, the care workers, that old geezer who did all those laps on his Zimmer frame. There have unfortunately also been those who haven’t changed their behaviour and mindsets at all. That’ll also be something I’ll not forget going forward 

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

mainly because there are a-holes like this living among us, there are many other examples i can pull up from the past 2 days alone, people travelling 300miles for walks with a view, people travelling miles to parties, people holding the parties, people travelling from Scotland to Wales to visit friends, people going from Bolton to Preston to pick up a takeaway all reported in various news feeds, this is happening every w/end & probably most nights

but these take the biscuit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-55705272

Once you look past the selfishness and ignorance, the absolute brass neck of it is almost admirable.

56 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I suppose I didn't really think it through. The general point is that I think the actions or in many cases lack of actions of the government greatly outweigh some bellends holding house parties and not wearing masks in supermarkets. 

There are some selfish idiots, no doubt about it but them trying to blame the public shouldn’t take away from the incompetence through much of this by the government.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Costock_Fox said:

There are some selfish idiots, no doubt about it but them trying to blame the public shouldn’t take away from the incompetence through much of this by the government.

As I said on a previous post, there are people who break the rules anywhere you go. We as a nation are not alone in having selfish idiots who simply do not care or think that the whole thing is a scam. 

• Like 1

I have just had a young lad in my shop wearing no mask, when i asked him if he could put a mask on he told me doesn't need to wear one, i asked why and he paused erm I've got a bad chest. I turned round and said if your chest is that bad you shouldn't be working on a construction site and coming in to a shop to buy a hi vis vest. Told him to go and wait in the car park and we will serve him outside, think he was a bit shocked. I promptly served the 2 other customers before going outside to him! 

To be fair we have been open throughout the whole year and this is the first time we have had someone not wear a mask.

• Like 3

Honestly, I don’t greatly blame either the public or the government for all this. If there’s anything I think might have helped then I think that would have been many years of investment in testing and manufacturing capacity, to get us up to speed with Germany. Beyond that, s... just happened.

I’m not saying the government didn’t make operational mistakes, or that COVID deniers aren’t a problem. But with or without them, the virus gets into humans, spreads around the world, gets around Britain - for geographic, demographic and economic reasons we were never going to be able to handle it like Australasia - reaches the vulnerable, causes multiple lockdowns and mutates to a more infectious strain.

Maybe in the future we’ll be able to handle pandemics with the kind of relative success that South Korea have, or maybe that’s fanciful. But nowhere in the Western Hemisphere was ready for this, and - investment in vaccines aside - all we’ve really been able to do is firefight.

Edited by Dunge
  • Like 1