Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

47 minutes ago, Buce said:

Huge outbreak at Mrs B's care home. :(

They've contained it on previous occasions, but this time it has spread throughout the entire home. Ironically, they all had the vaccine a few days ago.

I hope Mrs Buce, and you, are both ok

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Buce said:

They've contained it on previous occasions, but this time it has spread throughout the entire home. Ironically, they all had the vaccine a few days ago.

That’s tragic ...  I know the vaccine takes some time to be effective but wonder if it might help in some way ...  just one life saved is a bonus.   Keep safe.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I hope Mrs Buce, and you, are both ok

Thanks.

She's been caring for Covid patients for the last 9 months on and off and hasn't caught it thus far, but it is a worry, especially as she has a blood clotting disorder.

1 minute ago, Countryfox said:

That’s tragic ...  I know the vaccine takes some time to be effective but wonder if it might help in some way ...  just one life saved is a bonus.   Keep safe.  

We can only hope, but most are in their nineties with several underlying health issues. :(

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Buce said:

My eldest works in a care home.  He was vaccinated on Sunday and two days later tested positive for Covid-19 on a lateral flow test.  He was clear on Sunday (the staff are tested daily).  The only people he saw in the intervening period were my wife and myself, so now we're both self-isolating.

I know that it shouldn't have this effect, but could the vaccine be a factor?

9 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Why isn't this reported anywhere? We should have been encouraging people to lose weight for the past 10 months rather than encouraging Eat Out to Help Out:facepalm:

I saw a stat that 49% of patients on ventilators were obese, whilst only (only lol) making up I think 34% of the total population, so they're about 50% over represented in critical care. I'll see if I can dig it out. 

It's not reported on because it's awkward and anyone bringing it up would be labelled as "fatphobic" etc by the screeching masses. There was a tiny effort to try and get people to lose weight in the summer, I remember Boris saying something about it, but that was a total flash in the pan and hasn't been mentioned since. 

To be honest I doubt very much that if Whitty stood up and said "the best defence against you dying to Covid is to drop your BMI", it would make a jot of difference to be honest, people just don't want to take responsibility and will do everything they can to shift blame. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, z-layrex said:

Stupid isn't it. As the nurses groan because another 120kg bloke is coming in for us all to hurt our backs turning, the public is being encouraged to get on Deliveroo.

Deliveroo isn't the problem, there's plenty of decent food available on there. It's people's choices to buy the shit stuff that's the problem. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Crinklyfox said:

My eldest works in a care home.  He was vaccinated on Sunday and two days later tested positive for Covid-19 on a lateral flow test.  He was clear on Sunday (the staff are tested daily).  The only people he saw in the intervening period were my wife and myself, so now we're both self-isolating.

I know that it shouldn't have this effect, but could the vaccine be a factor?

I would think not.

In my wife's case, it's almost certain that a member of staff has brought it in; they are tested on a Wednesday, but don't get the results until Sunday, so could be working while positive for up to 5 days.

They are introducing daily lateral flow tests imminently, but I'm afraid it's closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

41 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

1,820 today. ****ing hell. 93,290 so far. I’ve been in Wembley stadium with 90,000 people in it. Mental. 

The scientists warned last week it'll get worse before it gets better. They said this week and next week deaths will rise up, probably as a knock-on effect of any December/Xmas gatherings... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, StanSP said:

The scientists warned last week it'll get worse before it gets better. They said this week and next week deaths will rise up, probably as a knock-on effect of any December/Xmas gatherings... 

Yep, I reckon it'll be about another 10 or so days until they start coming down, a combination of the first lot of vaccines taking effect, schools being closed for a while and London going into lockdown.

3 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Yep, I reckon it'll be about another 10 or so days until they start coming down, a combination of the first lot of vaccines taking effect, schools being closed for a while and London going into lockdown.

I wonder if there's been a negative effect of the vaccine in that elderly people who received it were a lot less careful over Xmas.

8 hours ago, Buce said:

Unfortunately the vaccine is not effective, it seems, until around 14 days from 1st dose and only fully effective around a week after 2nd dose. There is some interesting stuff coming out of Israel where Pfizer are getting some very up to date info. Really looks as is lifting restrictionsin any meaningful way will only be able to take place once the over 50s etc have all had their second dose and a week after that final person otherwise the vaccines don't appear to be that effective in stopping infection etc. I might have read it all wrong though as I'm not a scientist. So I guess pubs and theatres etc won't be open until May/June possibly.

https://www.israel21c.org/israeli-hmos-pfizer-vaccine-immunity-best-after-14-days/

• Like 1