Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

17 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

Do people actually want to return to the old normal? I seen a tweet earlier which gained a lot of traction complaining about our past behaviours, stating how we used to "get close to one another" and "touch the same things" and how disgusting it was lol. I also seen one saying how strange it is that we used to go to work and infect people with our cold... 

This doesn't fill me with much hope for the future if people are going to continue being scared of eachother after this (whenever that may be). It saddens me to know children are going to grow up thinking these kind of behaviours are normal. 

Think it's been happening for quite a few years anyway.

Some people actually like being hermits, a few people I know certainly are and in some weird, sad way enjoy the need for no excuses to not go out or do anything etc.

Obviously this is to an extreme but I honestly do think some people are embracing this 'new normal' because it their normal anyway.

1 hour ago, Harrydc said:

Do people actually want to return to the old normal? I seen a tweet earlier which gained a lot of traction complaining about our past behaviours, stating how we used to "get close to one another" and "touch the same things" and how disgusting it was lol. I also seen one saying how strange it is that we used to go to work and infect people with our cold... 

This doesn't fill me with much hope for the future if people are going to continue being scared of eachother after this (whenever that may be). It saddens me to know children are going to grow up thinking these kind of behaviours are normal. 

I agree except on the cold point. As one of the unlucky people that gets absolutely washed out by colds it always has infuriated me when I am working and people with colds come in and give it to me. The more working from home when you have a cold the better!!!

Edited by bmt

1 hour ago, Harrydc said:

Maybe it should be normal? Life as we knew it was totally and utterly unsustainable.

We can take lessons from this, especially the UK with our God awful death rate.

There are too many people on this island and this planet. There are too many fat people on this island and this planet (and believe me this virus loves to kill fat people, my nurses' backs are broken from the volume of morbidly obese covid patients we have to care for).

People need to stop having so many kids and they need to stop eating so much. This planet CANNOT sustain the volume of meat we were consuming.

This pandemic has hopefully been a stark warning to our species if we want to survive for longer than a blip in the life of this planet. We have to change the way we live.

Edited by z-layrex
  • Like 2

Guest Harrydc

Something else which I have been saying will come into our life's for years has been a cashless society, I was always told it'll never happen but look around us now. Due to the virus, people don't want to touch cash, and it'll probably stick after. Personally, I much prefer using cash. 

1 minute ago, Harrydc said:

Something else which I have been saying will come into our life's for years has been a cashless society, I was always told it'll never happen but look around us now. Due to the virus, people don't want to touch cash, and it'll probably stick after. Personally, I much prefer using cash. 

Of course you do, along with everything else pre-covid - including people giving you a cold, apparently. 

Guest Harrydc
4 minutes ago, Fktf said:

Of course you do, along with everything else pre-covid - including people giving you a cold, apparently. 

Catching a cold was just normal life. Since when was catching a cold such a a terrible thing? Our immune systems will turn to sh*t if we carry on with an attitude like this post covid.

Also, COVID is very different to a cold so I don't see the relevance of your comment. 

1 minute ago, Harrydc said:

Catching a cold was just normal life. Since when was catching a cold such a a terrible thing? Our immune systems will turn to sh*t if we carry on with an attitude like this post covid.

Also, COVID is very different to a cold so I don't see the relevance of your comment. 

'Our immune systems will turn to shit'. Could you please quote evidence based sources to back that statement up? Have you studied immunology in the past?

I haven't been sick since I (most likely) had covid in Feb from an overseas patient. It does not mean my immune system is any worse off from not being exposed to everyone's rhinoviruses all year. Why is that bad?

7 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

Seems like an odd thing to miss if you ask me.

Also, we have no real immunity to colds, so I don't see the relevance of your comment.

Edited by Fktf

20 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

Maybe it should be normal? Life as we knew it was totally and utterly unsustainable.

There are too many people on this island and this planet. There are too many fat people on this island and this planet (and believe me this virus loves to kill fat people, my nurses' backs are broken from the volume of morbidly obese covid patients we have to care for).

People need to stop having so many kids and they need to stop eating so much. This planet CANNOT sustain the volume of meat we were consuming.

This pandemic has hopefully been a stark warning to our species if we want to survive for longer than a blip in the life of this planet. We have to change the way we live.

At risk of being controversial, I presume it's the Africans and other poor people that you are getting at here?  Most of the rich countries are not having enough births to sustain the population.  The UK's recent population growth is fuelled by immigrants.  And if fat people don't die, then they live on to draw pensions, and if we want to pay pensions AND continue having a decent health service and an outstanding medical science base, then we need enough younger people to fund it.  

Whereas Africa, that's the reason the population is expanding.  Because poor people from poor countries where the state pension provision is nil or abysmal, they need children.  If they don't have children, they have no one to look after them in their old age.  And if half the children die before adulthood, then they want a lot of children to improve their chances of having some survive to look after them in their old age. 

That was how it worked here until Victorian times, and that is how it still works in poor countries.  As they get richer and their health systems start to cope, then they will reduce the number of children as we did; but that'll be too late won't it?  Should we take action to stop this happening?

If you want rich countries that do things like inventing vaccines for cornaavirus to become poor, and you want poor countries that can scarcely afford to live now to become poorer, and the fat people to live longer, then the younger people will die in their droves and you may get your wish about a smaller population.  But with an even more awful death rate, so you're up the creek either way.

What are your suggestions, apart from humans not eating meat?

(Incidentally, this pandemic has reduced life expectancy in the UK by at most 6 days.  It's a start, I suppose.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Think it's been happening for quite a few years anyway.

Some people actually like being hermits, a few people I know certainly are and in some weird, sad way enjoy the need for no excuses to not go out or do anything etc.

Obviously this is to an extreme but I honestly do think some people are embracing this 'new normal' because it their normal anyway.

...I wasn't aware that being introverted was somehow wrong or "weird/sad".

Some people view social interaction differently to others, perhaps it might be nice not to judge based on that?

38 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

This sounds a bit too Malthusian for my taste - the global world population growth is slowing anyway and the issues with lack of resources is a problem of logistics, not numbers.

Totally agreed that there have to be changes in the way humanity does things, but it's nowt to do with the amount of people - and all to do with personal habits and greed.

2 hours ago, Harrydc said:

Basic rule of evolution is that a species that doesn't adapt to change when it is required doesn't tend to last very long. Perhaps that's something to consider.

Of course, I hear a lot of chat about "oh, I'd rather be dead than do XYZ to change my life", but I daresay those supposedly "brave" folks hum a rather different tune when the consequences finally become apparent and their time comes. Practically everyone does.

53 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

At risk of being controversial, I presume it's the Africans and other poor people that you are getting at here?  Most of the rich countries are not having enough births to sustain the population.  The UK's recent population growth is fuelled by immigrants.  And if fat people don't die, then they live on to draw pensions, and if we want to pay pensions AND continue having a decent health service and an outstanding medical science base, then we need enough younger people to fund it.  

Whereas Africa, that's the reason the population is expanding.  Because poor people from poor countries where the state pension provision is nil or abysmal, they need children.  If they don't have children, they have no one to look after them in their old age.  And if half the children die before adulthood, then they want a lot of children to improve their chances of having some survive to look after them in their old age. 

That was how it worked here until Victorian times, and that is how it still works in poor countries.  As they get richer and their health systems start to cope, then they will reduce the number of children as we did; but that'll be too late won't it?  Should we take action to stop this happening?

If you want rich countries that do things like inventing vaccines for cornaavirus to become poor, and you want poor countries that can scarcely afford to live now to become poorer, and the fat people to live longer, then the younger people will die in their droves and you may get your wish about a smaller population.  But with an even more awful death rate, so you're up the creek either way.

What are your suggestions, apart from humans not eating meat?

(Incidentally, this pandemic has reduced life expectancy in the UK by at most 6 days.  It's a start, I suppose.)

My suggestion for the UK?

• A totally different mindset, focusing on enjoying what you have rather than rampant consumerism. Only focus on attaining what improves your life. Every possession should have purpose and bring meaning to our lives. I'm not saying be actual minimalists, but embrace some of those principles.
  • Fight the rampant obesity that has caused this country to have the worst death rate in the world. Really stigmatise being fat, it's become far too acceptable in our society. The disgusting levels of meat eating we have in this country will likely fall with this (I am not a vegetarian).
  • 2 children per household by law (excluding triplets etc obviously).
  • Radically reduced immigration and subsequent economy.
  • Ultimately leading smaller national healthcare service.

Edited by z-layrex
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

My suggestion for the UK?

• A totally different mindset, focusing on enjoying what you have rather than rampant consumerism. Only focus on attaining what improves your life. Every possession should have purpose and bring meaning to our lives. I'm not saying be actual minimalists, but embrace some of those principles.
  • Fight the rampant obesity that has caused this country to have the worst death rate in the world. Really stigmatise being fat, it's become far too acceptable in our society. The disgusting levels of meat eating we have in this country will likely fall with this (I am not a vegetarian).
  • 2 children per household by law (excluding triplets etc obviously).
  • Radically reduced immigration and subsequent economy.
  • Ultimately leading smaller national healthcare service.

I'm not keep on the idea of working to increase the number of pensioners while simultaneously reducing the numbers of working age.  I dare say the people of working age might not be too chuffed either.  If you think the population is too large, why do you object to fat people dying and reducing the burden on the state?  

If you're not a vegetarian, how have you come to the conclusion that the amount of meat you eat is fair and reasonable and the amount other people eat is wrong?  Of course, you may be numbering yourself among the guilty?

Would you enforce the number of children by enforced sterilisation, or by simply removing the excess children from their parents?  

47 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

...I wasn't aware that being introverted was somehow wrong or "weird/sad".

Some people view social interaction differently to others, perhaps it might be nice not to judge based on that?

Quite right.

Who am I to judge or say what’s right or wrong for people to live their lives.

However I wasn’t calling people who are that way “weird” or “sad”, what I find “weird” or “sad” is people who are almost celebrating the restrictions just because it fits in with their way of life, gives them excuse to live their way of life easier and continue to call for restrictions even though others on the flip side are really struggling with restrictions.

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

Quite right.

Who am I to judge or say what’s right or wrong for people to live their lives.

However I wasn’t calling people who are that way “weird” or “sad”, what I find “weird” or “sad” is people who are almost celebrating the restrictions just because it fits in with their way of life, gives them excuse to live their way of life easier and continue to call for restrictions even though others on the flip side are really struggling with restrictions.

Ah, thank you for the clarification.

Hopefully there will come a point in the future where some decent equilibrium can be found between extroverts and introverts on this one.

8 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

I'm not keep on the idea of working to increase the number of pensioners while simultaneously reducing the numbers of working age.  I dare say the people of working age might not be too chuffed either.  If you think the population is too large, why do you object to fat people dying and reducing the burden on the state?  

If you're not a vegetarian, how have you come to the conclusion that the amount of meat you eat is fair and reasonable and the amount other people eat is wrong?  Of course, you may be numbering yourself among the guilty?

Would you enforce the number of children by enforced sterilisation, or by simply removing the excess children from their parents?  

I'm talking about changing our culture over decades.

• Because people keep getting fatter and fatter, if more people are becoming hambeasts than are dying from being said hambeasts, that is a problem.
  • Most obese people will eat meat every day. If you eat meat every day the planet cannot sustain that.
  • In Japan for example rarely do people have more than 2 kids, it needs to be that way here. I think like you said, making it law is impossible.

If you walk through the ICU's, 2/3 of the covid patients are >100kg. This is mother nature telling us we cannot continue to live like this.

11 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

I'm talking about changing our culture over decades.

• Because people keep getting fatter and fatter, if more people are becoming hambeasts than are dying from being said hambeasts, that is a problem.
  • Most obese people will eat meat every day. If you eat meat every day the planet cannot sustain that.
  • In Japan for example rarely do people have more than 2 kids, it needs to be that way here. I think like you said, making it law is impossible.

If you walk through the ICU's, 2/3 of the covid patients are >100kg. This is mother nature telling us we cannot continue to live like this.

Surely the reason people are getting fatter is because our bodies have been designed by mother nature to put weight on?  Mother nature is concerned that we can breed and raise children.  Excess weight is good to help us live to 40 or so, which is all mother nature requires for the propagation of the species.  And of course once the body has got used to carrying the weight, then taking it off is hard but putting it back on is easy.

I think there is plenty of food on this planet.  It isn't shared out fairly, but that's another matter.

14 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Surely the reason people are getting fatter is because our bodies have been designed by mother nature to put weight on?  Mother nature is concerned that we can breed and raise children.  Excess weight is good to help us live to 40 or so, which is all mother nature requires for the propagation of the species.  And of course once the body has got used to carrying the weight, then taking it off is hard but putting it back on is easy.

I think there is plenty of food on this planet.  It isn't shared out fairly, but that's another matter.

Our bodies put weight on because we are supposed to be leading active lifestyles, not this sedentary existence we have now. We also consume far far more calories than we should be thanks to processed foods and (I know I keep banging on about it), daily meat consumption.

This virus absolutely loves killing fat people. It is the number 1 cause of mortality in covid 19 (after age).

Edited by z-layrex

12 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Why isn't this reported anywhere? We should have been encouraging people to lose weight for the past 10 months rather than encouraging Eat Out to Help Out:facepalm:

Stupid isn't it. As the nurses groan because another 120kg bloke is coming in for us all to hurt our backs turning, the public is being encouraged to get on Deliveroo.

5 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

Food is only one part of over population though. It's also the waste associated with the production of food, clothes, transport etc that people use that cannot be recycled efficiently, or at all in some case.

5 hours ago, z-layrex said:

Stupid isn't it. As the nurses groan because another 120kg bloke is coming in for us all to hurt our backs turning, the public is being encouraged to get on Deliveroo.

Eat Out to Help Out was the exact opposite of that to be fair.

6 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

we wouldn't have animal farms who are being fed steroids and stuff they wouldn't normally eat if that was the case.

6 hours ago, z-layrex said:

Our bodies put weight on because we are supposed to be leading active lifestyles, not this sedentary existence we have now. We also consume far far more calories than we should be thanks to processed foods and (I know I keep banging on about it), daily meat consumption.

This virus absolutely loves killing fat people. It is the number 1 cause of mortality in covid 19 (after age).

big corporations praying on these people don't help the cause though, lets ban all KFC, MD's, Burger kings and all other fast food chains, that would reduce the intake that is being forced down peoples throats with advertising and such

it all boils back to one thing, money and greed.

Edited by whoareyaaa

7 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

we wouldn't have animal farms who are being fed steroids and stuff they wouldn't normally eat if that was the case.

Farmers feeding "steroids and stuff" are doing it because they want to make more profit, not because they are concerned that people might starve.