Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

43 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

They are really worried about the Indian variant at work. All staff having PCR tests for it. Expecting a 3rd wave.

I work for myself and I couldn't give a shit about the Indian variant. Swings and roundabouts 

8 minutes ago, Soup said:

I work for myself and I couldn't give a shit about the Indian variant. Swings and roundabouts 

Science does, likewise primary and secondary NHS healthcare and the associated workforce. 

9 minutes ago, Soup said:

What do you want me to do though?

Follow the rules, mate. I assume, as I don't know you, that you aren't that bothered about being precautionary in order to protect others regardless of the possibility that you could POTENTIALLY cause the death of another by not doing so.

1 minute ago, Line-X said:

To protect yourself, your family, your business and others, continue to work responsibly, and actually at least appreciate that the variant that you "don't give a shit" about is currently killing people may be heading our way. That may have serious implications for our healthcare workers. Their concerns should be our concerns.

Mate I do all of that but I don't need to worry about it at the same time. It's not good for me man:)

2 minutes ago, Soup said:

Mate I do all of that but I don't need to worry about it at the same time. It's not good for me man:)

To be fair, you didn't make that clear in your post. It did sound like you couldn't give a shit about others.

Just now, Soup said:

No one is suggesting that you should worry, worry is counter productive. 

The strain that you "don't give a shit about" is currently killing people en-masse across the Indian sub-continent. The first line of defence is oxygen, the supplies are exhausted. This is a harrowing national crisis/scandal. People are dying in the streets outside hospitals. 16m cases, 300,000 daily cases and tens of thousands of deaths. Astonishingly, just when I thought I'd seen it all on this thread, someone last week who will remain nameless astonishingly posted to the effect that this was exaggerated by the media because the population of India is 1.3 billion. 

This is a very dangerous variant - we should take heed - but more importantly, as I have tried on innumerable occasions to get across on this thread and largely in vain, irrespective of our national statistics, SARS-CoV-19 is a global crisis.  

This has been a perfect storm of outbreaks of course, with the Indian government encouraging mass political rallies, whilst religious festivals have continued unabated. But be under no illusions, evidence suggests that the India variant is significantly more transmissible - its impact will eventually ripple around the world and as we relax restrictions, it is inevitable that it will be felt here. Precisely the concerns of the healthcare sector. No one is suggesting that you should worry, but you should heed and respect that concern and the renewed challenge facing them as opposed to not giving a shit. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Line-X said:

The strain that you "don't give a shit about" is currently killing people en-masse across the Indian sub-continent. The first line of defence is oxygen, the supplies are exhausted. This is a harrowing national crisis/scandal. People are dying in the streets outside hospitals. 16m cases, 300,000 daily cases and tens of thousands of deaths. Astonishingly, just when I thought I'd seen it all on this thread, someone last week who will remain nameless astonishingly posted to the effect that this was exaggerated by the media because the population of India is 1.3 billion. 

This is a very dangerous variant - we should take heed - but more importantly, as I have tried on innumerable occasions to get across on this thread and largely in vain, irrespective of our national statistics, SARS-CoV-19 is a global crisis.  

This has been a perfect storm of outbreaks of course, with the Indian government encouraging mass political rallies, whilst religious festivals have continued unabated. But be under no illusions, evidence suggests that the India variant is significantly more transmissible - its impact will eventually ripple around the world and as we relax restrictions, it is inevitable that it will be felt here. Precisely the concerns of the healthcare sector. No one is suggesting that you should worry, but you should heed and respect that concern and the renewed challenge facing them as opposed to not giving a shit. 

It was an off the cuff comment mate. Don't sweat it. I know you're doing your best at getting everybody to take it serious but surely you must see that some folk have had enough of the bad news. I'll think twice about thinking out loud next time obviously 

1 minute ago, Soup said:

It was an off the cuff comment mate. Don't sweat it. I know you're doing your best at getting everybody to take it serious but surely you must see that some folk have had enough of the bad news. I'll think twice about thinking out loud next time obviously 

Sure, I understand now that it was a flippant but ill judged comment, that wasn't meant literally - and yes there is plenty of good news to come out of this week. Many have done their best over the last few days on this thread to focus on that too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

How do you know the Indian variant is so viral.  We all know what India is like it takes the poor and stories I've been hearing is that people are scared to go hospital, bodies are not being released back to families and being burnt by the the thousands.

Semi healthy people are one day ok and dead the next.

India is one foooked up place, the poor are massacred for wealth.

We have over 1000000's farmers camped outside Delhi, if it is that viral, why aren't the government doing something with resolving the issue rather then watch them die.  

Just now, Dr The Singh said:

How do you know the Indian variant is so viral.  We all know what India is like it takes the poor and stories I've been hearing is that people are scared to go hospital, bodies are not being released back to families and being burnt by the the thousands.

Semi healthy people are one day ok and dead the next.

India is one foooked up place, the poor are massacred for wealth.

We have over 1000000's farmers camped outside Delhi, if it is that viral, why aren't the government doing something with resolving the issue rather then watch them die.  

Exactly the question being asked by the rest of the world. The answer is - as you know - because it's Modi. 

Regarding your other question. It is believed to be able to spread more easily than earlier forms of the virus because of the specific mutation it carries called L452R. Research suggests this mutation allows the virus to bind to cells more stably. In previous variants, such as the Kent variant, mutations like this that enhanced the virus’s binding ability resulted in it becoming more infectious. The B1427 variant detected in California contains the same L452R mutation and is estimated to be around 20% more transmissible than the earlier form of the coronavirus that was circulating during the first wave.

The 300k + cases in India, I think are seriously understated.  Messaged some of my  relatives and its literally everywhere.  Most of the people on the major cities live in apartments and they are struggling to avoid it just going to get groceries.  

29 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Exactly the question being asked by the rest of the world. The answer is - as you know - because it's Modi. 

Regarding your other question. It is believed to be able to spread more easily than earlier forms of the virus because of the specific mutation it carries called L452R. Research suggests this mutation allows the virus to bind to cells more stably. In previous variants, such as the Kent variant, mutations like this that enhanced the virus’s binding ability resulted in it becoming more infectious. The B1427 variant detected in California contains the same L452R mutation and is estimated to be around 20% more transmissible than the earlier form of the coronavirus that was circulating during the first wave.

I could be wrong but I'm sure I read that if a variant mutates 70% then an individual can pass it on to 5 people instead of the usual 3. So 20% doesn't seem too concerning. I'll try and find the article. 

34 minutes ago, Soup said:

I could be wrong but I'm sure I read that if a variant mutates 70% then an individual can pass it on to 5 people instead of the usual 3. So 20% doesn't seem too concerning. I'll try and find the article. 

To clarify, it could be as much as 20% more transmissible than its original form. This may not be the case, but yes, if correct, that is very concerning.