Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

I think most that believe these things just want to feel superior, even intelligent people get sucked in but the thing I uniformly see is people seeking something to make themselves different and interesting. Watch the Flat Earthers doc on netflix - if it's still there - it sheds a HUGE light on these people. Nearly all of them had personal/social issues and were after some more meaning in their lives. 

19 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Christ, I just had a little delve into the echo chamber attached to Harry's tweet. I can see how people can easily get sucked into it when you're reading so many people so confident in their opinion. I saw the phrase "do your research" so many times lol

3 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

I think most that believe these things just want to feel superior, even intelligent people get sucked in but the thing I uniformly see is people seeking something to make themselves different and interesting. Watch the Flat Earthers doc on netflix - if it's still there - it sheds a HUGE light on these people. Nearly all of them had personal/social issues and were after some more meaning in their lives. 

Bingo. That's exactly what this is about - people looking to derive meaning from their lives because for whatever reason they can't live with the idea of there maybe being none.

To be honest, I would have nothing but sympathy if the belief in some of those theories, in a functional democracy where they can become matters of state policy, didn't have the potential to cause massive damage to human civilisation.

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

Christ, I just had a little delve into the echo chamber attached to Harry's tweet. I can see how people can easily get sucked into it when you're reading so many people so confident in their opinion. I saw the phrase "do your research" so many times lol

I had a chat with my mother's accountant on the phone few weeks ago. I wanted her to send some documents the revenue office asked for, we had a friendly chat, then suddenly she asks, will you (and the family) get vaccinated. I said, yeah I guess we will? It quickly turned out she belongs to the church of TRUTH: there's no covid, no pandemy, it's all made up by the media and orchestrated by the medical corporations, she doesn't get any vaccines, she never gets ill etc etc. When I told her about my mate, his wife and her sister who are in their 30s and in perfect physical condition (they do a lot of hiking, mountain climbing and so on) and got covid few weeks back, and they were hit pretty hard, out for two weeks with all the usual covid symptoms, and even now are still shaking some of the effects (migraines), she just shrugged it off - she said they live in a city, it's all polluted there, the air, the food etc, she lives in the country, she only eats healthy food, never gets ill, never watches nor reads the news from the official media channels... 

I was tempted to ask her how can she be an accountant, if she doesn't believe in science and factual evidence but I bit my tongue.

Today I got a call from the revenue clerk, turns out she still haven't sent them all the papers she promised (me, my dad and the clerk all called hed at various times in the recent months), and the clerk said, 'I think I know the type'. 

I've never spoken to a genuine, 100% tinfoil hatter before, but now that I did, I'm certain they are living in a universe parallel to ours.  

Edited by Chester Dontlie

3 minutes ago, Chester Dontlie said:

I had a chat with my mother's accountant on the phone few weeks ago. I wanted her to send some documents the revenue office asked for, we had a friendly chat, then suddenly she asks, will you (and the family) get vaccinated. I said, yeah I guess we will? It quickly turned out she belongs to the church of TRUTH: there's no covid, no pandemy, it's all made up by the media and orchestrated by the medical corporations, she doesn't get any vaccines, she never gets ill etc etc. When I told her about my mate, his wife and her sister who are in their 30s and in perfect physical condition (they do a lot of hiking, mountain climbing and so on) and got covid few weeks back, and they were hit pretty hard, out for two weeks with all the usual covid symptoms, and even now are still shaking some of the effects (migraines), she just shrugged it off - she said they live in a city, it's all polluted there, the air, the food etc, she lives in the country, she only eats healthy food, never gets ill, never watches nor reads the news from the official media channels... 

I was tempted to ask her how can she be an accountant, if she doesn't believe in science and factual evidence but I bit my tongue.

Today I got a call from the revenue clerk, turns out she still haven't sent them all the papers she promised (me, my dad and the clerk all called hed at various times in the recent months), and the clerk said, 'I think I know the type'. 

I've never spoken in person to a genuine, 100% tinfoil hatter before, but now that I did, I'm certain they are living in a universe parallel to ours.  

Yeah its actually a bit crazy how many accountants are absolutely batsh1t mental.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Yeah its actually a bit crazy how many accountants are absolutely batsh1t mental.

99% of their day is fvcking boring, what do you expect?

Sorry to any accountants... sort of ;)

4 hours ago, Harrydc said:

For anyone that believes the world economic Forum is irrelevant in this and we're not heading towards the 'Great Reset', watch this. Their slogan is 'build back better'. Yes, it's taken from Twitter. But the clips in this video are some of the worlds 'leaders' 

That's just clips of lots of public figures using a current catchy phrase ("Build Back Better").....with no context whatsoever.

It would be just as easy to splice together a lot of unrelated video clips of public figures saying "Take Back Control" and claim that as proof of some conspiracy.

Hell, you could even compile a video of footballers saying "credit to the lads" and claim it is proof that the Super League was a conspiracy led by the PFA to syphon credit into the bank accounts of footballers. :D

What a strange menagerie of people to be running this very public global conspiracy, too: lots of past and present US Democrat politicians but no Republicans (despite the WEF having existed for decades), Tony Blair and Boris Johnson hand in hand, Bill Gates, Princes Charles & Harry, Greta Thunberg & Caroline Lucas, the only UK Green MP....even Lib Dem Layla Moran (presumably the ringleader as she's named her book "Build Back Better"?). It includes the PMs of Canada & New Zealand, yet almost nobody who's not an English speaker, almost nobody from mainland Europe, Asia, Africa, South America.....not much of a WORLD Economic Forum or global conspiracy, then?

As for Caroline Coram, your Twitter source.....

She's mainly a Brexit No Deal campaigner and was a Brexit Party candidate in 2019: https://www.carolinecoram.co.uk/home

...yet she stood for the Green Party in 2015 & said the country should be "seriously concerned" about Farage. She explains herself here: https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/local-news/brexit-party-candidate-who-once-3276083

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

That's just clips of lots of public figures using a current catchy phrase ("Build Back Better").....with no context whatsoever.

It would be just as easy to splice together a lot of unrelated video clips of public figures saying "Take Back Control" and claim that as proof of some conspiracy.

Hell, you could even compile a video of footballers saying "credit to the lads" and claim it is proof that the Super League was a conspiracy led by the PFA to syphon credit into the bank accounts of footballers. :D

What a strange menagerie of people to be running this very public global conspiracy, too: lots of past and present US Democrat politicians but no Republicans (despite the WEF having existed for decades), Tony Blair and Boris Johnson hand in hand, Bill Gates, Princes Charles & Harry, Greta Thunberg & Caroline Lucas, the only UK Green MP....even Lib Dem Layla Moran (presumably the ringleader as she's named her book "Build Back Better"?). It includes the PMs of Canada & New Zealand, yet almost nobody who's not an English speaker, almost nobody from mainland Europe, Asia, Africa, South America.....not much of a WORLD Economic Forum or global conspiracy, then?

As for Caroline Coram, your Twitter source.....

She's mainly a Brexit No Deal campaigner and was a Brexit Party candidate in 2019: https://www.carolinecoram.co.uk/home

...yet she stood for the Green Party in 2015 & said the country should be "seriously concerned" about Farage. She explains herself here: https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/local-news/brexit-party-candidate-who-once-3276083

This is no different to the Agenda 21/Agenda 2030 nonsense that was similarly misrepresented by conspiracy theory believers. In fact, one fleetingly appeared on here yesterday regurgitating similar horseshit - his comments were rapidly removed.

I have attempted to explain to Harry precisely what the term 'The Great Reset' comprises and the associated objectives detailed by the WEF on two occasions. The problem being, impressionable people that consider themselves "awake" through subjective social media and deceptive online conspiracy theory are so afflicted by the Dunning Kruger effect  /illusory superiority and emotional investment and so incapable of critical appraisal, that any attempt at rational discourse and logical reasoning is futile. 

3 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

"Do your research", nearly always means "read these non peer reviewed articles on open source websites that aren't regulated, as they tell me what I want to hear". I wonder how many people saying "do your research", go to a research lead University and actually do some fvcking research. 

Appreciating that "research" does not involve self-proclaimed overnight armchair 'expertise' following a squandered evening consuming junk You Tube videos, cherry picked click-bait confirmation bias, quote mining, false equivalence and circular self-referencing pseudoscientific conspiracy websites, it would be interesting to learn how these people actually did theirs. 

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Do_your_own_research

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

As expected. 

I still find it impossible that this goverment will be able to produce a decent workable app/vaccine passport in 2021, never mind by june 21st. The same goverment that tried to use excel as a database.

If that is the case I assume we're following the fortune tellers rather than the science

2 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

As expected. 

Considering the logic was flawed when the introduction of masks was brought in, middle of summer, low prevalence, way past the 1st peak, weak evidence, the list goes on and on, it's impossible to come up with a logical conclusion as to when they will end. 

The talk this morning on the local radio was of inventing a colour changing mask depending on what virus/disease you are carrying.  There's no end to this madness.

Edited by Legend_in_blue
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Considering the logic was flawed when the introduction of masks was brought in, middle of summer, low prevalence, way past the 1st peak, weak evidence, the list goes on and on, it's impossible to come up with a logical conclusion as to when they will end. 

The talk this morning on the local radio was of inventing a colour changing mask depending on what virus/disease you are carrying.  There's no end to this madness.

I think the reasoning behind the introduction of masks was to try and prevent a second wave and also at the time they became a lot more available due to the nhs not requiring so many. You can’t really tell the population they need to wear a mask if there aren’t any, the government were trying to manage a situation with millions of people involved.

6 minutes ago, Soup said:

They will get brushed aside, their opinions are worthless as they do not follow Sage's approach.  There's only one side to this scientific debate and has been for many, many months.  It will not change now.

Wish I lived in Texas or Florida right now! :)

10 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

They will get brushed aside, their opinions are worthless as they do not follow Sage's approach.  There's only one side to this scientific debate and has been for many, many months.  It will not change now.

^

10 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Wish I lived in Texas or Florida right now! :)

Interestingly some tit on this thread said something similar about Brazil last November. 

• Like 1

CDC guidance updated today for the US and while I’ve followed their guidance and avoided Covid, I really don’t understand what reaction they expected posting this. People are generally like ‘oh great, yeah thanks 🤔’. Bit of a PR own goal. 

D126C8FB-6CCD-4ABA-BF09-7EC57C809315.jpeg

13 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

To clarify, I was laughing at this lol

1 hour ago, Wymsey said:

From the same article... 

Experts said there was not yet enough data to call the Indian variant a "variant of concern" - a term used to describe the UK, Brazilian and South African variants. 

There is currently no evidence that this variant causes more severe illness or increased risk of mortality.

8 minutes ago, StanSP said:

From the same article... 

Experts said there was not yet enough data to call the Indian variant a "variant of concern" - a term used to describe the UK, Brazilian and South African variants. 

There is currently no evidence that this variant causes more severe illness or increased risk of mortality.

So why identify it as something that's likely to cause alarm given the current situation in India.