Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

3 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

This is a real informative thread. It is long but establishes a few things from the horses mouth of the hospitals trusts. The final points regardless the ‘debate’ are very true. Fair summary between good news, the risks and the concerns. 

Something which hasn’t really been discussed here with the relaxation of the restrictions is that hospitals are beginning to tackle their backlog and it’s all key to the timing of the vaccination programme/relaxation to the restrictions that it doesn’t overload the hospitals. 

My point exactly. My hospital does not have beds, at all. Even a comparatively small wave of covid is going to be a huge pain for us. Absolutely no need to rush at this point.

1 hour ago, z-layrex said:

My point exactly. My hospital does not have beds, at all. Even a comparatively small wave of covid is going to be a huge pain for us. Absolutely no need to rush at this point.

The problem is people can't see GPs or doctors, if you want to see one in person the advice is to go to A&E. We've also had people who have put off treatments for over a year, which means that simple treatment which would have worked a year ago now won't, so the treatment is more lengthy and may require a hospital stay. Add in the backlog that the past 14 months have caused and this issue isn't going to go anywhere for years.

Are you talking about just your ward or the hospital as a whole? I was talking about the hospitals as a whole so apologies if there's crossed wires!

Anyway you'll probably know a lot more than me, this is just my limited knowledge and perspective from the outside, but I am someone who struggled to see a doctor last year, could only get over the phone appointments.

Looks like Hancock is laying the foundations for a delay of 2 weeks anyway, 5th July the new 'freedom date' being thrown around.

If we are waiting for the NHS to not be stretched, we will be waiting a long time :dunno:

Apart from football stadiums, I am pretty content with how things are currently. I can do most things I would normally do, even its a bit more annoying doing them with having to book in advance, queues outside places where it isn't necessary etc. I can't wait to not have to worry about forgetting my mask. 

4 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

If we are waiting for the NHS to not be stretched, we will be waiting a long time :dunno:

Apart from football stadiums, I am pretty content with how things are currently. I can do most things I would normally do, even its a bit more annoying doing them with having to book in advance, queues outside places where it isn't necessary etc. I can't wait to not have to worry about forgetting my mask. 

We are not waiting for the NHS not to be stretched, I am saying wait a couple months and vaccinate EVERYONE. There is no rush, we've all come so far since March 2020.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

The problem is people can't see GPs or doctors, if you want to see one in person the advice is to go to A&E. We've also had people who have put off treatments for over a year, which means that simple treatment which would have worked a year ago now won't, so the treatment is more lengthy and may require a hospital stay. Add in the backlog that the past 14 months have caused and this issue isn't going to go anywhere for years.

Are you talking about just your ward or the hospital as a whole? I was talking about the hospitals as a whole so apologies if there's crossed wires!

Anyway you'll probably know a lot more than me, this is just my limited knowledge and perspective from the outside, but I am someone who struggled to see a doctor last year, could only get over the phone appointments.

Looks like Hancock is laying the foundations for a delay of 2 weeks anyway, 5th July the new 'freedom date' being thrown around.

Not true mate, practices have been open this whole time. You just only get a face to face now if its needed after a telephone or video consult.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

We are not waiting for the NHS not to be stretched, I am saying wait a couple months and vaccinate EVERYONE. There is no rush, we've all come so far since March 2020.

It's a bit blase to tell 500,000 people who are double-jabbed, almost immune, and living their last summer on earth, that "there's no rush".  Of course there's a rush.  Would you tell a prisoner in jail that there is "no rush" for his parole hearing, because he has been in jail for 15 months and another couple doesn't matter?

Obviously for the smooth running of the NHS and for the backlog to be caught up, it's better if everyone stays apart and normal life does not resume.  But there is more to be considered than just the NHS.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Not true mate, practices have been open this whole time. You just only get a face to face now if its needed after a telephone or video consult.

Just had a google and it looked like it changed on May 17th, didn't know that so fair play.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/gp-surgeries-must-offer-face-24105743

Still, was a good 14 months or so of being unable to see one, certainly at certain practices anyway.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

8 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

It's a bit blase to tell 500,000 people who are double-jabbed, almost immune, and living their last summer on earth, that "there's no rush".  Of course there's a rush.  Would you tell a prisoner in jail that there is "no rush" for his parole hearing, because he has been in jail for 15 months and another couple doesn't matter?

Obviously for the smooth running of the NHS and for the backlog to be caught up, it's better if everyone stays apart and normal life does not resume.  But there is more to be considered than just the NHS.

Oh give over, our working life has been and will be miserable for the forseeable because of the ppe. The public can suck it up for a bit longer ffs.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Where there appears to be clinical evidence on the ground from doctors using their expertise and judgement for their own patients, what’s the harm in using drugs that have been proven harmless in other settings? It makes no sense.

If you have the stamina you might like to watch a couple of related videos.

(Skip the first 10 mins or so where he’s struggling with the slide show. Also the link dies at about 50 mins)

I fear that big business and politics are polluting science as they have in the past with tobacco, climate change, etc.

I guess we’ll have to see how this all pans out.

He seems frustrated doesn't he lol  

What is going on though?  I'm not doubting that vaccines can play a part in getting us out of this, but power and greed imo are definitely slowing the process down.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Just had a google and it looked like it changed on May 17th, didn't know that so fair play.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/gp-surgeries-must-offer-face-24105743

Still, was a good 14 months or so of being unable to see one, certainly at certain practices anyway.

As the article says from March 2020 under total triage you could get a face to face if it was clinically necessary. I doubt there are many if any practices that got away with doing no physical appointments at all.

Guest Harrydc

When Christmas is cancelled again will some of you still be saying that it's for the greater good and to suck it up?

18 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

Oh give over, our working life has been and will be miserable for the forseeable because of the ppe. The public can suck it up for a bit longer ffs.

Sounds to me like you need a career change. I know blokes that have had 50 miserable years of working and they just get on with it, I don't mean any disrespect when I say that mate I honestly don't. What's the saying, life is a bitch and then you die:dunno:

Just now, Soup said:

Sounds to me like you need a career change. I know blokes that have had 50 miserable years of working and they just get on with it, I don't mean any disrespect when I say that mate I honestly don't. What's the saying, life is a bitch and then you die:dunno:

I absolutley need a career change, no offence taken. I think that comes across in my posts.

I still think we can wait a bit longer to make sure we don't go backwards.

1 minute ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

What? A lot of people's livelihoods depend on full re-opening as soon as possible. To say there's "no rush" is pretty out of touch imo. 

And a lot of livelihoods will suffer if the country slides backwards because we needlessly rushed the full unlocking?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

And a lot of livelihoods will suffer if the country slides backwards because we needlessly rushed the full unlocking?

Yes that's a balancing act. But like I say, you saying there's "no rush" is out of touch. It indicates that there is no rush for you, but that's not the case for everyone else. 

Just now, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Yes that's a balancing act. But like I say, you saying there's "no rush" is out of touch. It indicates that there is no rush for you, but that's not the case for everyone else. 

I'm not referring to myself, there is literally no rush for the country. Our economy is doing well, we are vaccinating shit loads, we do not need to fully unlock in June. There is no rush.

My personal feelings are irrelevent. I'd love to reopen in June, I'm best man at 2 weddings that are relying on it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

I absolutley need a career change, no offence taken. I think that comes across in my posts.

I still think we can wait a bit longer to make sure we don't go backwards.

Yes I get that and would deal on that now without a doubt. I don't think people trust anything the government says anymore though. 

5 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

I'm not referring to myself, there is literally no rush for the country. Our economy is doing well, we are vaccinating shit loads, we do not need to fully unlock in June. There is no rush.

My personal feelings are irrelevent. I'd love to reopen in June, I'm best man at 2 weddings that are relying on it.

OK, well I don't agree that things are hunky dory but that's another issue. 

Hope the weddings go ahead as planned.