Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

5 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

It’s all about the cases now, it’s becoming an obsession, the time to worry is if hospitalisations and deaths start to climb, fingers crossed the vaccines do their job and keep the latter down.

Hospital admissions are starting to rise, the absolute numbers being small might hide it now but it’s happening. Cases have risen at a rate similar to before and hospital admissions will probably do similar. The nature of hospital admissions may make it less of a concern, predominantly younger people, shorter stays, less complex, not result in death etc and hopefully the continuation of delivering vaccines will put a lower limit on it and bend the curve back down without need for adding any restrictions but be clear it is happening.

We had exactly the same cope in the autumn when people do idk why people are falling for it again. Not suggesting we’re in for a repeat of the autumn/winter but idk why people continue to ignore time lags and the fact that exponential growth can go from looking fine to out of hand in an instant again.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Houdini Logic said:

I have a 1 in 800 chance of dying his year of any cause? Right, **** this lockdown nonsense, I need to get out and start living!

Mental when you look at it like that isn't it!

Both my parents are 1 in 147 chance, every 5 years the odds get so much shorter, it's scary.

• Sad 1

Politicians shit scared, random scientists and experts finding power in their hands. They (the Gov) were wrong footed from the start and have been trying to overcompensate ever since at the expense of public freedoms. And now they're going to prolong it all when the Delta variant, albeit more  contagious, causes less serious cases and does not create anywhere near as many hospital or ITU admissions as previously.

The gov should have banned flights from India/Asia at the same time they banned flights from Pakistan. They didn't. Ask yourselves why. 

BJ was due a high level meeting with the PM of India at that time. It's come down to politics rather than protecting our people.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Parafox said:

Politicians shit scared, random scientists and experts finding power in their hands. They (the Gov) were wrong footed from the start and have been trying to overcompensate ever since at the expense of public freedoms. And now they're going to prolong it all when the Delta variant, albeit more  contagious, causes less serious cases and does not create anywhere near as many hospital or ITU admissions as previously.

The gov should have banned flights from India/Asia at the same time they banned flights from Pakistan. They didn't. Ask yourselves why. 

BJ was due a high level meeting with the PM of India at that time. It's come down to politics rather than protecting our people.  

Is that proven now ?  It’s one of the elephants in the room on June 21 reopening. And it’s what we want to see with variants (which we would expect over time to become more transmissible but less dangerous).  

however 

An analysis of 38,805 sequenced cases in England revealed that the Delta variant was associated with a 2.61 times higher risk of hospitalisation within 14 days of specimen date than the Alpha variant. There was a 1.67 times higher risk of A&E care within 14 days. These figures take into account factors such as age, sex, ethnicity, area of residence and vaccination status. Data from Scotland supported the findings, also pointing to a more than twofold higher risk of hospitalisation for those infected with the Delta variant compared with the Alpha variant.

but then again 

That's far below the peak of nearly 40,000 people in January. And NHS Providers say the people who are going in aren't as seriously ill as they were in early waves. They are younger, or don't require intensive care as much - and they're coming out sooner.

seems like we won’t ever know the truth - ‘’twas ever thus’ 

Edited by st albans fox

1 minute ago, Super_horns said:

I didn’t think they were doing the vaccine passports or was that more long term ?

Don't think they know what they're doing themselves.

Pretty wishy-washy.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

12,383 Delta variant cases in UK till June 3rd:

- 464 people went to emergency care (3.75% of total)
- 126 admitted to hospital (1.02% of total)
- 83 were unvaccinated (66% of admissions)
- 28 had one jab (22% of admissions)
- Just 3 both doses (2.4% of admissions)

So your chances of being admitted to hospital if you catch the delta variant but you're double jabbed is 0.024% based on that (albeit relatively small) sample.

And that's after the fact that your chances of catching it in the first place during that period up to the 3rd June is about 0.018% based on 12383 cases out of a 66.65m population.

As people love to say on this forum, "hAvE sOmE pErSPeCtIvE" 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

12,383 Delta variant cases in UK till June 3rd:

- 464 people went to emergency care (3.75% of total)
- 126 admitted to hospital (1.02% of total)
- 83 were unvaccinated (66% of admissions)
- 28 had one jab (22% of admissions)
- Just 3 both doses (2.4% of admissions)

So tiny, tiny chances of actually becoming ill then. 

I'd be livid if the lockdown is extended again. By any stretch. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

Hospital admissions are starting to rise, the absolute numbers being small might hide it now but it’s happening. Cases have risen at a rate similar to before and hospital admissions will probably do similar. The nature of hospital admissions may make it less of a concern, predominantly younger people, shorter stays, less complex, not result in death etc and hopefully the continuation of delivering vaccines will put a lower limit on it and bend the curve back down without need for adding any restrictions but be clear it is happening.

We had exactly the same cope in the autumn when people do idk why people are falling for it again. Not suggesting we’re in for a repeat of the autumn/winter but idk why people continue to ignore time lags and the fact that exponential growth can go from looking fine to out of hand in an instant again.

Nobody is ignoring the lags, but seriously this is ridiculous, the amount of people vaccinated is staggering.

Its been reported that up to 40% of recent COVID deaths are not Covid related and yet we continue down the same path.

The chances of dying from Covid are minuscule and yet here we are living under some kind of restrictions for approximately 15 months with in my opinion no way out in the foreseeable future.

Get vaccinated and enjoy the Great British summer they said, empty words and empty promises.

They’ll always be a new variant, are we going to live like this forever?

Is the average age of Covid death still over the average age of life expectancy? 
What are we doing? 

Edited by Mark 'expert' Lawrenson
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Nobody is ignoring the lags, but seriously this is ridiculous, the amount of people vaccinated is staggering.

Its been reported that up to 40% of recent COVID deaths are not Covid related and yet we continue down the same path.

The chances of dying from Covid are minuscule and yet here we are living under some kind of restrictions for approximately 15 months with in my opinion no way out in the foreseeable future.

Get vaccinated and enjoy the Great British summer they said, empty words and empty promises.

Is the average age of Covid death still over the average age of life expectancy? 
What are we doing? 

Agree 100% with. 

If I could say one thing to the government it would be, I like to be kissed when I'm being ****ed 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Yep and from my end, Biden is tweeting nonsense about ‘the highly infectious Delta variant in the U.K.’ ahead of meeting Boris this week, with the travel ban supposedly on the agenda. If this guy is going to keep them shut while NHL stadiums are packed, thousands are going to concerts, clubs, states removing all restrictions; all over this variant shit, I will quite literally be done.

I’ve followed the science and done my bit in getting vaccinated and behaved this whole time. It’s now time to end this fvcking nightmare for us all.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, StanSP said:

3.7% going to emergency care is a lot. Less than half the country has had second jabs. Even those with one jab that's a very rough 1% chance of needing emergency care, which again, is a lot. 

Now, age group matters so it would be good to see what ages are going to hospital. But delaying it a couple of weeks to get a few more age groups completely covered off, isn't the most ridiculous of ideas. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

3.7% going to emergency care is a lot. Less than half the country has had second jabs. Even those with one jab that's a very rough 1% chance of needing emergency care, which again, is a lot. 

Now, age group matters so it would be good to see what ages are going to hospital. But delaying it a couple of weeks to get a few more age groups completely covered off, isn't the most ridiculous of ideas. 

4 week delay, 100% needs to happen for me. I wish they never set this stupid arbitrary date.

Ruins my summer plans though.

Edited by z-layrex

28 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

What are we doing? 

There is very little you can't enjoy still though. You want a beer you can go, you want a meal you can go, you want a UK holiday you can go, you want to go shopping you can go, you want a party in your garden you can, you want people in your house you can, you want to go down the cricket or visit a zoo, you can. You basically just can't mingle in a large group of people. :dunno:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The only thing it will be is frustrating. 

1 minute ago, Bert said:

The only thing it will be is frustrating. 

The whole thing has been frustrating, but there is little we can't do at the moment and the dates were never set in stone, for this very reason. 

The great news is the vaccine works, so lets crack on and finish off a few ages groups and get on living life. 

I just wish the press would be more responsible in the reporting of variants until we actually know for use how big an issue they are.