Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

5 minutes ago, String fellow said:

According to the government's website, the UK had 1578 cases on 15th May and today it has 6238. So in the last 3 weeks, the daily case rate has risen by a factor of almost four. Admittedly, these are both relatively small numbers, but nevertheless the current upward trend suggests to me that the removal of all remaining restrictions later this month may be a step too far. Having said that, what do I know, being a largely-ignorant member of the public.

Remember the Gov said they expected cases to rise as restriction where loosened.

Hospitalizations & deaths are still very low, showing the vaccine is working.

No excuse not to fully open up on the 21st.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Otis said:

Remember the Gov said they expected cases to rise as restriction where loosened.

Hospitalizations & deaths are still very low, showing the vaccine is working.

No excuse not to fully open up on the 21st.

The lag from cases to hospitalisations and then deaths has to be allowed to happen.  We’ve had the increase in cases that was generally expected following relaxations on indoor hospitality and in mixing in homes. We should see within two weeks if there is a marked uptick in admissions. I can see 21st June being out back a fortnight to allow for that to play out but politically that’s a tough call for bojo. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, filbertway said:

We will know in 3 or 4 weeks how well vaccines are working. Just a matter of patience, this is the first proper test of them.

Israel had a similar spurt at a similar point in the path, let’s hope the pattern is the same 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

2 hours ago, Stivo said:

10% according to Hancock which is good.

google James ward Twitter and read his pinned tweet.

The slight worry is the 5% of people who have refused jabs. 

I still think we will be ok, but I can understand why they have introduced a step 3.5.

James Ward’s Twitter is excellent. He’s not pro or anti anything, just an unbelievably bright interpreter of data. Very very helpful.

2 hours ago, OrielCaziado said:

Just been reading about the Man City fans who’ve been double jabbed, tested negative but still been told to self isolate for ten days on returning from the Champions League final.  Seems a strange decision. 

Because you can still carry and transmit the virus even if you are vaccinated?

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

The lag from cases to hospitalisations and then deaths has to be allowed to happen.  We’ve had the increase in cases that was generally expected following relaxations on indoor hospitality and in mixing in homes. We should see within two weeks if there is a marked uptick in admissions. I can see 21st June being out back a fortnight to allow for that to play out but politically that’s a tough call for bojo. 

There's nothing to see here.  At what point do the modellers become accountable for their actions?

2 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Masks will not be dropped until Spring next year then at the earliest.  They are a constant visual reminder of compliance with the restrictions and add to the perceived level of threat/fear that wearing them conveys.  Very little to do with countering the threat of virus spread.  The science behind them is wafer thin.  The behavioural psychologists in Sage, of which there are many, will be loving it though.

Is that how they are seen in the UK? I'm used to wearing mine every time I go out, at least until I get to the table in the pub or restaurant when I can take it off, and I honestly don't give it a second thought now, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I certainly don't view it as a reminder of any threat, just something we all do, so it's interesting that you seem to see it as a big deal, and I wonder if that's a common feeling in the UK? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Masks will not be dropped until Spring next year then at the earliest.  They are a constant visual reminder of compliance with the restrictions and add to the perceived level of threat/fear that wearing them conveys.  Very little to do with countering the threat of virus spread.  The science behind them is wafer thin.  The behavioural psychologists in Sage, of which there are many, will be loving it though.

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

There's nothing to see here.  At what point do the modellers become accountable for their actions?

lol This is actually verging on the obsessional now. 

Regarding masks - the science of prevention and contraction is robust and demonstrable and they played a huge part in reducing infection. As a measure beyond indoor gatherings they are however redundant and unnecessary but you may wish to retain an n95 respirator which is highly beneficial to your respiratory health in an urban environment. Would you like me to explain why? I assure you the science behind protection from airborne particulate is not "wafer thin". 

In respect of spurious claims, could we return to Mike Yeadon's dangerous assertions about herd immunity that you posted last December? Only every time that I raise this, oddly you decline to comment.

Edited by Line-X
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Line-X said:

lol This is actually verging on the obsessional now. 

Regarding masks - the science of prevention and contraction is robust and demonstrable and they played a huge part in reducing infection. As a measure beyond indoor gatherings they are however redundant and unnecessary but you may wish to retain an n95 respirator which is highly beneficial to your respiratory health in an urban environment. Would you like me to explain why? I assure you the science behind protection from airborne particulate is not "wafer thin". 

In respect of spurious claims, could we return to Mike Yeadon's dangerous assertions about herd immunity that you posted last December? Only every time that I raise this, oddly you decline to comment.

Would be interested to see studies into different countries and their use of face coverings.  It’s clear that over here, many use coverings that are just pieces of cotton fabric sewn together. they look far nicer than they are likely effective.  I wonder if in other countries where lower finances mean simple surgical masks are more likely to be used there is evidence of lower transmission in indoor settings ??

we will learn a fair bit once this is all over. 

9 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Is that how they are seen in the UK? I'm used to wearing mine every time I go out, at least until I get to the table in the pub or restaurant when I can take it off, and I honestly don't give it a second thought now, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I certainly don't view it as a reminder of any threat, just something we all do, so it's interesting that you seem to see it as a big deal, and I wonder if that's a common feeling in the UK? 

How compliant are people where you are? I'm currently in Valencia and there's a small minority that don't. Also holding a cigarette seams to make you except regardless of whether you're smoking it or not. That goes for drinking and eating on the move as well. 

Tbh I hate it and think it's pathetic that you have to wear them outside and I'll never get used to it. Saying that most of the time I just wear it under my chin, even though all I get is ' put your mask on , put your mask on ' , from the missus. Or I just cycle everywhere. 

17 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

I'll be the first to burn my face nappy once I'm 'allowed' to take it off. 

Tbf you must look a right twvt if you're wearing a Pampers on your face, try one of the normal ones everyone else is wearing 

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Tbf you must look a right twvt if you're wearing a Pampers on your face, try one of the normal ones everyone else is wearing 

1613014093519_GBB354ECC.2-0.jpeg.jpg

All of the complaints about them being uncomfortable finally make sense. :o

Edited by Innovindil

22 minutes ago, Soup said:

How compliant are people where you are? I'm currently in Valencia and there's a small minority that don't. Also holding a cigarette seams to make you except regardless of whether you're smoking it or not. That goes for drinking and eating on the move as well. 

Tbh I hate it and think it's pathetic that you have to wear them outside and I'll never get used to it. Saying that most of the time I just wear it under my chin, even though all I get is ' put your mask on , put your mask on ' , from the missus. Or I just cycle everywhere. 

Love Valencia, we were there in December and didn't see anyone not complying that I remember, possibly it's the tourists? 

If you're seen here with it under your chin you'd get called out by the locals, the police would have no hesitation in speaking to you about it too. When I say speaking, I mean shouting and waving their arms about lol

10 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Love Valencia, we were there in December and didn't see anyone not complying that I remember, possibly it's the tourists? 

If you're seen here with it under your chin you'd get called out by the locals, the police would have no hesitation in speaking to you about it too. When I say speaking, I mean shouting and waving their arms about lol

What can I say we're obviously rebels here in VLC  especially in my barrio anyway :DWhen I say a small minority it really is small but you do see lots walking along the beach side with them down. You do see cops on bikes then folks just pop then up then down again. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Masks are brilliant. So far i've robbed 3 banks, nicked 8 cars and not paid for petrol for the last 6 months.

Don't see how you've managed that tbh. My mate dave says if you wear a mask for longer than 15minutes you spontaneously combust. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

It's really not, they're just trying to prove a point which can't be backed up with rational arguments.

• Like 1