Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

18 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

We are far from being anti vax in my household. 

we’ve had the virus amongst us both last spring and again around new year. On both occasions my thirteen y o showed absolutely no signs of illness whatsoever.  Hence my wife has decided that there is no need for him to be vaccinated if offered.  I sort of get where she is coming from but presume the idea of vaccinating the youth is to slow transmission in general rather than protect them specifically. 

I certainly understand the stance of the Israeli doctors who have signed that letter

Yes I understand what you mean. I don't have children but my brother has a 12 year old and he's looking at it the same way.

It's just sort of crept in without much attention really and I find it odd that there's not more discussion. I'm hearing that they want to get that age bracket all jabbed over the summer before the start of the new school year. 

19 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

We are far from being anti vax in my household. 

we’ve had the virus amongst us both last spring and again around new year. On both occasions my thirteen y o showed absolutely no signs of illness whatsoever.  Hence my wife has decided that there is no need for him to be vaccinated if offered.  I sort of get where she is coming from but presume the idea of vaccinating the youth is to slow transmission in general rather than protect them specifically. 

I certainly understand the stance of the Israeli doctors who have signed that letter

I'm not anti vaccine but certainly a vaccine sceptic. I took one anyway - mix of peer pressure, a wish to travel and a wish to see the economy restart. 

But there is not a cat in hells chance my kids (both teens)  will be allowed to have it.  The old and obese and even the economy will, frankly, have to whistle.  there is zero risk to of.covid to themselves.  they aren't at an age of consent when they can rationally decide what goes into their bodies

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Don't your children have jabs at a much younger age anyway to stop them getting other diseases? 

Yeah definitely but from diseases that make them very ill. It's all about risk benefit isn't it. But I suppose it's all about spread now though.

Edited by Soup
  • Like 1

Apparently the delta strain in 40% more transmissible than the alpha strain. That was about 50% more than the Italian variant which was dominant here.  Does that mean the current covid variant doing the rounds is around 70% more transmissible than what we were suffering with last spring?   That’s quite scary if you aren’t protected and potentially vulnerable.

if we begin to see younger people being admitted into hospital (there is some evidence for this from Scotland) then we need to perhaps reconsider that this virus doesn’t do any damage to the under twenties.  Whilst it may not endanger their lives, it could well leave its mark on their lungs and other organs which would restrict them as they move on with their lives.  this could be getting more complex rather than just disappearing.  Whilst more transmissible variants develop (I guess that’s how virus’ work), then hope was that they would become less dangerous.  Not sure we’re seeing that as yet although would like to see data as to whether asymptomatic infections are rising as a proportion because that could be the evidence that this is indeed the case and would be somewhat reassuring to allow more relaxations of the remaining restrictions.

25 minutes ago, Buce said:

The most incompetent government in living memory.

And still there will be people defending them.

It could be as simple as boris had an upcoming trip to India to sign a trade deal and it wasn’t politically expedient to place them on the red list until that was done. Once the daily news from there was clearly too bad to allow a trip, they miraculously went red.  Some would say incompetence but i think that is way too kind as it gives an impression that they didn’t know what they were doing. 

• Like 1

I've been reading about the drug ivermectin for a while now. It's been around since the 70's, mainly used on animals but safe for humans. The apparent benefits are huge to people with severe Covid some are saying. It's' cheap as chips to produce. as well.

Many Doctors all over the world are fighting for it to be more widely used but governments don't seem to even want to talk about it, even though some hospitals have used it with massive success. 

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2021/06/05/dr-noor-hisham-health-ministry-has-begun-ivermectin-trial-for-high-risk-covid-19-patients

Nobody is probably interested but I'm isolating and bored already 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Soup said:

I've been reading about the drug ivermectin for a while now. It's been around since the 70's, mainly used on animals but safe for humans. The apparent benefits are huge to people with severe Covid some are saying. It's' cheap as chips to produce. as well.

Many Doctors all over the world are fighting for it to be more widely used but governments don't seem to even want to talk about it, even though some hospitals have used it with massive success. 

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2021/06/05/dr-noor-hisham-health-ministry-has-begun-ivermectin-trial-for-high-risk-covid-19-patients

Nobody is probably interested but I'm isolating and bored already 

My first cynical thought is who holds the patent for it? That isn't based on information, just the fact governments don't want to talk about it, which I'm taking your word for. Any idea?

1 hour ago, Buce said:

It seems criticising the govt is forbidden on here too.

I'd love to know what I said to get my post deleted.

It’s called censorship, don’t like what people say, delete the post and come up with some bullshit about wrong thread

11 minutes ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

My first cynical thought is who holds the patent for it? That isn't based on information, just the fact governments don't want to talk about it, which I'm taking your word for. Any idea?

Yeah fair comment, a quick search found this this,

Merck's patent on ivermectin expired in 1996, though it was extended for different periods in various countries. Thus, other companies' ivermectin preparations are now commercially available.

Know doubt that will further your cynical view of what I posted and that's fine. But there are health experts thinking outside the narrative to save as many lives a possible. I've read many articles and listened podcasts that do back up what I've stated, but yeah you'll have to take my word for it

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Soup said:

Yeah fair comment, a quick search found this this,

Merck's patent on ivermectin expired in 1996, though it was extended for different periods in various countries. Thus, other companies' ivermectin preparations are now commercially available.

Know doubt that will further your cynical view of what I posted and that's fine. But there are health experts thinking outside the narrative to save as many lives a possible. I've read many articles and listened podcasts that do back up what I've stated, but yeah you'll have to take my word for it

Whoa there. I didn't mean you were being cynical. I was alluding to governments not being interested in talking about it depending on who holds the patent and who might benefit financially from it's use. That sometimes seems to be an obstacle. In no way was I making any comment about you, or the benefits of using it, just speculating as to why it may not be high on governments agendas. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

Whoa there. I didn't mean you were being cynical. I was alluding to governments not being interested in talking about it depending on who holds the patent and who might benefit financially from it's use. That sometimes seems to be an obstacle. In no way was I making any comment about you, or the benefits of using it, just speculating as to why it may not be high on governments agendas. 

Ok fair enough. I misunderstood

• Thanks 1

WRT ivermectin:

https://www.who.int/news-room/feature-stories/detail/who-advises-that-ivermectin-only-be-used-to-treat-covid-19-within-clinical-trials

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/why-you-should-not-use-ivermectin-treat-or-prevent-covid-19

https://www.gov.scot/publications/foi-202100137853/

Bottom line seems to be that it could be useful but there's not been nearly enough clinical evidence to ensure that it doesn't cause harm if used to treat Covid. Perhaps that is too cautious a line from various authorities, but I would stop a moment to think of the almighty mess if they did approve the thing without full testing and it did turn out to have significant negative effects.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Buce said:

It seems criticising the govt is forbidden on here too.

I'd love to know what I said to get my post deleted.

The govt should be thankful that the ‘people’ rolled out the vaccination programme so well. 
It’s covered up all the errors they’ve made, no doubt

59 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Cases up by 49% in the past 7 days.

Deaths down by 1.7% in the past 7 days.

Patients admitted to hospital down by 0.3% in the past 7 days.

Will be 3 weeks tomorrow since the last relaxation of restrictions.

Lock it all down IMO, we can’t have people sneezing.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Cases up by 49% in the past 7 days.

Deaths down by 1.7% in the past 7 days.

Patients admitted to hospital down by 0.3% in the past 7 days.

Will be 3 weeks tomorrow since the last relaxation of restrictions.

It’s a week since cases started to rise as a consequence of the delta variant taking some hold - quoting low death rates a week on from that is a bit pointless. I’m afraid that it will be two more weeks before you will see any consequential uptick in deaths and the June 21 date will be upon us.  For that reason it’s expected that June 21 is going to be delayed or scaled back 

image.png.8f0e6e910d3c6483b0e09298c005ed0c.png

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

It’s a week since cases started to rise as a consequence of the delta variant taking some hold - quoting low death rates a week on from that is a bit pointless. I’m afraid that it will be two more weeks before you will see any consequential uptick in deaths

If the vaccine works surely the deaths wouldn't be that high anyway? It'd be good if we could know how many of the positive cases are amongst those vaccinated. Might give a bit more context to the case numbers and any consequential deaths from it...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Lock it all down IMO, we can’t have people sneezing.

That’s just my hayfever!!! 

Saying that, we were put and about yesterday in the sunshine at TwinLakes. An insect decided it wanted me to eat it alive so I had a coughing fit …… the looks I got! 

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

If the vaccine works surely the deaths wouldn't be that high anyway? It'd be good if we could know how many of the positive cases are amongst those vaccinated. Might give a bit more context to the case numbers and any consequential deaths from it...

Correct - but they have two wait at least two weeks to see any response re hospitalisations and then three weeks re deaths .... an assessment of whether those affected have been vaccinated (which they won’t be) tells them more. 

6 minutes ago, Sly said:

That’s just my hayfever!!! 

Saying that, we were put and about yesterday in the sunshine at TwinLakes. An insect decided it wanted me to eat it alive so I had a coughing fit …… the looks I got! 

I’d lockdown for Hayfever and wasps 100%

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Correct - but they have two wait at least two weeks to see any response re hospitalisations and then three weeks re deaths .... an assessment of whether those affected have been vaccinated (which they won’t be) tells them more. 

This is the thing. We can't go restricting large parts of the population and economy due to people dieing having refused the vaccine. These finer details are now very relevant and should be published. 

4 deaths today within 28 days of a positive covid test.

1600 other deaths today.

• Like 3