Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

11 minutes ago, Soup said:

Sounds to me like you need a career change. I know blokes that have had 50 miserable years of working and they just get on with it, I don't mean any disrespect when I say that mate I honestly don't. What's the saying, life is a bitch and then you die:dunno:

I'm going to be honest, I'm not sure of the logic of saying that at least some working life is shit and implying that it's always going to be shit and it should just be accepted as a counterargument to what was said here.

8 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Where there appears to be clinical evidence on the ground from doctors using their expertise and judgement for their own patients, what’s the harm in using drugs that have been proven harmless in other settings? It makes no sense.

If you have the stamina you might like to watch a couple of related videos.

(Skip the first 10 mins or so where he’s struggling with the slide show. Also the link dies at about 50 mins)

I fear that big business and politics are polluting science as they have in the past with tobacco, climate change, etc.

I guess we’ll have to see how this all pans out.

The unknown harm from them being used in this situation, is the answer to that question.

I certainly agree that there should be more studies done to prove one way or another, but until that is done I don't think anyone, even doctors, can point to this treatments efficacy and be 100% or even close to sure about it.

I hate this bizarre notion (not necessarily from people here) that we should be grateful that we ‘can still go to the pub’ etc.

Has anyone actually been to a pub/bar recently? It’s absolutely shite and not worth the expensive drinks at all. You get a warning for even just talking to someone on a different table ffs.

Some people such as myself honestly live to party on the weekend and need that release in order to have any kind of quality of life. I’m not saying we shouldn’t have restrictions but I wish I’d stop hearing that what we have now is basically normal and we should suck it up.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

I hate this bizarre notion (not necessarily from people here) that we should be grateful that we ‘can still go to the pub’ etc.

Has anyone actually been to a pub/bar recently? It’s absolutely shite and not worth the expensive drinks at all. You get a warning for even just talking to someone on a different table ffs.

Some people such as myself honestly live to party on the weekend and need that release in order to have any kind of quality of life. I’m not saying we shouldn’t have restrictions but I wish I’d stop hearing that what we have now is basically normal and we should suck it up.

I’m with you on this mate. I live for going out to pubs with the lads and pubs & restaurants and long weekends away with the wife in picturesque Market Towns.  As well as this I love to follow the Tigers away, especially in Europe, staying over for a couple of nights. The only plus side to this last 15 months is I’ve saved fortunes but I don’t want to save I want to spend. I understand why everything has been on hold but am increasingly getting frustrated that even with nobody dying they still want to stop us doing what we want. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I'm going to be honest, I'm not sure of the logic of saying that at least some working life is shit and implying that it's always going to be shit and it should just be accepted as a counterargument to what was said here.

That's fair enough. No bother. 

55 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

The unknown harm from them being used in this situation, is the answer to that question.

I certainly agree that there should be more studies done to prove one way or another, but until that is done I don't think anyone, even doctors, can point to this treatments efficacy and be 100% or even close to sure about it.

So you’re suggesting that if the patient has Covid-19 there might be harm done by giving them ivermectin? Well i suppose there’s a remote chance that this could be so, but no a priori reason when it has not proved harmful despite apparently billions of doses being delivered over the years. In any case it appears that many doctors have used their clinical judgement to offer this drug to Covid patients to good effect, according to this guy and his organisation.

Obviously I can’t say one way or another as I have no expertise to offer, but it appears that de facto trials have already taken place.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Soup said:

That's fair enough. No bother. 

:thumbup:

3 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

So you’re suggesting that if the patient has Covid-19 there might be harm done by giving them ivermectin? Well i suppose there’s a remote chance that this could be so, but no a priori reason when it has not proved harmful despite apparently billions of doses being delivered over the years. In any case it appears that many doctors have used their clinical judgement to offer this drug to Covid patients to good effect, according to this guy and his organisation.

Obviously I can’t say one way or another as I have no expertise to offer, but it appears that de facto trials have already taken place.

It's a possibility that must be considered until it has been eliminated or mitigated, yes.

I get that we need all possible strings to our bow here and I can't understand why the powers that be would drag their feet when there is a possibility this could be useful (and anecdotes do imply this), but I can also see why they're covering their own arses until legit trials have done even if I don't understand why they're not getting on with doing them.

11 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I get that we need all possible strings to our bow here and I can't understand why the powers that be would drag their feet when there is a possibility this could be useful (and anecdotes do imply this), but I can also see why they're covering their own arses until legit trials have done even if I don't understand why they're not getting on with doing them.

Why don't they do quick trials like Pfizer have done with the vaccine for children?

5 minutes ago, Soup said:

Why don't they do quick trials like Pfizer have done with the vaccine for children?

You'd think they would, wouldn't they, rather than just sitting on their hands about it being "off-label" use?

I'm guessing they've got a reason, though it would be nicer if that reason was clearer.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

You'd think they would, wouldn't they, rather than just sitting on their hands about it being "off-label" use?

I'm guessing they've got a reason, though it would be nicer if that reason was clearer.

Yes exactly. Especially before the vaccine was rolled out. Could potentially of saved many life's last winter 

9 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

If we can just delay things until everyone gets vaccinated, then by then the first people vaccinated will be in need of their booster jab so better delay things again, then it’ll be the autumn/winter when cases will naturally rise so we’d better delay things once again and so on. 
How many waves and  how many variants do we have to get through before someone in power says enough.

Im a naturally pessimistic person but I’ve been surpassed by the doom scenario experts.

Is there any serious suggestion at all that this is on the cards or is it purely conjecture?

Comprehensive vaccination coverage is really not far away and there seems to be no good reason to hold things back once that is done given it is currently working as intended to reduce hospitalisations enough for the health-care system to begin to sort out other issues faster. 

Just now, leicsmac said:

Is there any serious suggestion at all that this is on the cards or is it purely conjecture?

Comprehensive vaccination coverage is really not far away and there seems to be no good reason to hold things back once that is done given it is currently working as intended to reduce hospitalisations enough for the health-care system to begin to sort out other issues faster. 

Lol it’s purely conjecture, me being cynical 🤨 and just a little tongue in cheek 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

Didn't they estimate the vaccine would only last 6months to a year? It sounds about right timing wise tbf. 

2 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Why did we go from 600k ish tests a day to 1.2 million yesterday?

School return - back to Sunday and Wednesday testing twice a week.

On a side note, some interesting data continues to be released showing how the number of "cases" via LFD has actually consistently decreased over a period of days from when the original "cases" were recorded.  Clearly they are not accurate and one has to question how using it in large numbers is of benefit, particularly financially as govt appears determined to fire huge sums of money at it.  I'll find the data and put it here.

And here it is!

According to the figures, a 43% reduction on initial case figures, taking 30th May as an example.

Edited by Legend_in_blue