Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

6 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

Parts of Middlesex were blitzed over the wkend I’m told

Since last Wednesday at work we've been asked to help the Council's surge testing task - basically go to every property in the 'hotspot' areas and give them a testing kit to complete on the day and be collected at the end of the day. Approximately 30,000-40,000 people in total.

29 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Since last Wednesday at work we've been asked to help the Council's surge testing task - basically go to every property in the 'hotspot' areas and give them a testing kit to complete on the day and be collected at the end of the day. Approximately 30,000-40,000 people in total.

Yes,was probably replicated in the N/W.Would soon tot up.

4 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

School return - back to Sunday and Wednesday testing twice a week.

On a side note, some interesting data continues to be released showing how the number of "cases" via LFD has actually consistently decreased over a period of days from when the original "cases" were recorded.  Clearly they are not accurate and one has to question how using it in large numbers is of benefit, particularly financially as govt appears determined to fire huge sums of money at it.  I'll find the data and put it here.

And here it is!

According to the figures, a 43% reduction on initial case figures, taking 30th May as an example.

But surely that is precisely what one should expect?

LFDs have a false positive rate of about 1 in 1000.  When the prevalence of COVID Is 1 in 1000 or so then half the positives will turn out to be false when followed up with a swab test.  

The good news is that half the positives were indeed true and someone has been prevented from passing it on to their classmates or work colleagues or care home residents and made 21st June just a bit more likely.

Edited by Stivo

5 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

School return - back to Sunday and Wednesday testing twice a week.

On a side note, some interesting data continues to be released showing how the number of "cases" via LFD has actually consistently decreased over a period of days from when the original "cases" were recorded.  Clearly they are not accurate and one has to question how using it in large numbers is of benefit, particularly financially as govt appears determined to fire huge sums of money at it.  I'll find the data and put it here.

According to the figures, a 43% reduction on initial case figures, taking 30th May as an example.

If you have a lateral flow test on Monday, it is included in Monday's reported positives.  But if you then take the ore accurate test on Tuesday and it is found to be negative, the Monday test is taken off the record.  I don't know how it works, but the system is that a psoitive lateral flow followed by a positive more accurate test, it only counts once; if you have a positive followed by a negative, it doesn't count at all once the negative is confirmed.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, z-layrex said:

Oh give over, our working life has been and will be miserable for the forseeable because of the ppe. The public can suck it up for a bit longer ffs.

You seem to dislike people quite a lot for someone in the profession of caring for them.

I too dislike most people so I'm with you in that respect. Just an observation that it's a little strange. As you were.

Edited by Nod.E
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Didn't they estimate the vaccine would only last 6months to a year? It sounds about right timing wise tbf. 

Yeah, but I'm not seeing any serious suggestions that we should shut things down again to allow for those boosters once the initial vaccinations are done (which they will be before that six months to a year are up).

It's a testament to how much even a fictional idea can scare people that so many folks believe it might be true, though.

7 hours ago, StanSP said:

It's utterly mad there's still talk of delaying the 'freedom' date despite this being the case. 

For me it actually proves what a lot of the hospitals are trying to say. 

Let’s say a hospital runs at a traditional year. 45% of that is A&E and 55% is planned treatment.

Now at the moment:- 

A&E is likely to be reduced to say 35% 

Planned is be reduced to 45% (as they work themselves through a backlog which will last years - but they ideally want that higher) 

Then you throw COVID admissions (unvaccinated persons) at say 30%

It becomes 110% capacity 

The reality is its a race to get the vaccination programme to make that COVID admission rate low enough. Even more so when the likelyhood is that the A&E admissions will go up if restrictions are further relaxed. 

I don’t have the data or information to say what’s the right course of action. The Govt must consider the impact of what a further two weeks of vaccination would have on those COVID admissions (possibly reduce to say 10-15%) and equally does the COVID admissions rate increase if restrictions are relaxed. 

I am not advocating an extension of restrictions but pointing out the tough balance here. There’s a lot of ‘alright Jack’ attitudes being displayed in the UK as the majority get vaccinated, not the minority anymore. A pathway out of that was a passport system for the vaccinated but the public booted it out. 

Israel had the same spurt of negative data before their restrictions were finally relaxed. They won the vaccine race in the end 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Didn't they estimate the vaccine would only last 6months to a year? It sounds about right timing wise tbf. 

No.  They have no idea how long it lasts.  The estimates of immunity get longer and longer as time goes by and re-occurrences remain very rare.  

Flu jabs last about a year.  One measles jab as a baby confers lifelong immunity.  This jab could be either of those, or somewhere in the middle.  I think what you are remembering is speculation that it might not last long, but not measured scientific estimates.

8 hours ago, Nod.E said:

You seem to dislike people quite a lot for someone in the profession of caring for them.

I too dislike most people so I'm with you in that respect. Just an observation that it's a little strange. As you were.

What a stupid post. Yes I hate people and I hate all my patients. During my 11 year icu career I have hated every single one of my patients.

All because I said moaning members of the public need to suck it up. What a bizarre conclusion to jump to.

Edited by z-layrex
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

What a stupid post. Yes I hate people and I hate all my patients. During my 11 year icu career I have hated every single one of my patients.

All because I said moaning members of the public need to suck it up. What a bizarre conclusion to jump to.

It isn't just that one post. I respect you for what you do, but keep your God complex in check won't you?

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

It isn't just that one post. I respect you for what you do, but keep your God complex in check won't you?

I'm not going to rise to you sorry. What I will say is how poorly you have come across this entire pandemic. Sort yourself out before you judge others.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

I'm not going to rise to you sorry. What I will say is how poorly you have come across this entire pandemic. Sort yourself out before you judge others.

There you go again. Never mind.

3 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

There you go again. Never mind.

You're just salty because I called you out on your covid denier anti-mask bullshit ages ago. It's funny how you dont meet one single mask exempt nurse or doctor. Peace.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

You're just salty because I called you out on your covid denier anti-mask bullshit ages ago. It's funny how you dont meet one single mask exempt nurse or doctor. Peace.

No salt here my friend.

I wear a mask just like everyone else and have never claimed exemption. Your implication that I have been claiming exemption exposes the holier than thou attitude I'm talking about. 

I was sceptical of the cost-benefit long term of lockdowns, and at the very start was sceptical of how many excess deaths were resulting from COVID. We have the data on that now and can see that during peaks there were indeed excess deaths attributable to Covid, and so I've been much quieter on the matter (and accept that some of what I had said was misguided.) My current stance, for what it's worth, is that lockdown is a viable option but only as a last resort. 

Look, just stop using your admirable profession as an excuse to be a bit of a d*ck. I don't need an excuse, I just embrace it. You should, too. It's easier when you accept the fact you're a bit of a nob :D

Edited by Nod.E
  • Haha 2

I can book my jab from today, went to do it online and despite the 1st appointment being 5mins away, the 2nd appointment has the closest centre as being 30+mins away. If I go ahead and confirm anyway do we know/think its possible to cancel/move the 2nd appointment closer nearer the time?

6 minutes ago, Walkers said:

I can book my jab from today, went to do it online and despite the 1st appointment being 5mins away, the 2nd appointment has the closest centre as being 30+mins away. If I go ahead and confirm anyway do we know/think its possible to cancel/move the 2nd appointment closer nearer the time?

On the website for booking appointments if you scroll down there is an area where you can manage your appointment (cancel/change etc.) so imagine you would be able to, just be a matter of whether the location you want is available

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/

I managed to get mine at the same place; 1st jab on 16th then 2nd jab on 1st September

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Walkers said:

I'm the same mate. First one on Sunday at that new health centre on Sturdee Road, second one in bloody Coventry on 2nd September (nearest available). Hope I can re-book somewhere closer nearer the time.

1 hour ago, Nod.E said:

No salt here my friend.

I wear a mask just like everyone else and have never claimed exemption. Your implication that I have been claiming exemption exposes the holier than thou attitude I'm talking about. 

I was sceptical of the cost-benefit long term of lockdowns, and at the very start was sceptical of how many excess deaths were resulting from COVID. We have the data on that now and can see that during peaks there were indeed excess deaths attributable to Covid, and so I've been much quieter on the matter (and accept that some of what I had said was misguided.) My current stance, for what it's worth, is that lockdown is a viable option but only as a last resort. 

Look, just stop using your admirable profession as an excuse to be a bit of a d*ck. I don't need an excuse, I just embrace it. You should, too. It's easier when you accept the fact you're a bit of a nob :D

I am a bit of a dick, I think everyone is sometimes. People are complex. I will admit you often only get me here on a bad day when I just want to vent in an anonymous space.

My profession isnt admirable, it's just a job like anyone else's. I just want you to point out where I am using it to be a bit of a dick? My opinion would be the same regardless of what I did for work. Mask exemption doesnt exist for example. It's not an opinion, it's just a fact. I wasnt claiming you didnt wear a mask.