Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

3 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

I'm the same mate. First one on Sunday at that new health centre on Sturdee Road, second one in bloody Coventry on 2nd September (nearest available). Hope I can re-book somewhere closer nearer the time.

I emailed my local surgery (not the same place as I can get my first jab done) a few days ago because i'm sure they have my old phone number on record and wanted to make sure that wasn't the only point of contact they will use for letting me know i'm now eligible. Curiously they said they're mainly doing 2nd vaccines at the moment, so apparently there are more places on the NHS website that do them??

2 hours ago, DennisNedry said:

I'm the same mate. First one on Sunday at that new health centre on Sturdee Road, second one in bloody Coventry on 2nd September (nearest available). Hope I can re-book somewhere closer nearer the time.

This has been posted before in this thread. If the NHS sites are not convenient, try the below (for Leicester hospital bookings):

https://www.leicestershospitals.nhs.uk/patients/covid-19-information-hub/covid-19-vaccination/

I live in Hinckley and when it was my turn 2 weeks ago, the nearest NHS appointments were Tamworth/Kenilworth/Birmingham way. So I used the above to book into the LRI. I automatically had my second dose booked for 8 weeks after. It also means you can choose Pfizer over AZ as not sure the NHS sites can guarantee what they administer.

27 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Few spare Pfizer jabs going at the library next to Tesco in Hamilton up to 9 tonight ..  first or seconders for anyone over 18 ..  good few wasted yesterday ..  first come first served. 

I feel like vaccination centres (whatever size) should have some sort of waiting list for these scenarios where people can be called up to "jump the queue". Fully understand that it is really difficult to keep on top of supply and having the right appointments.

8 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I feel like vaccination centres (whatever size) should have some sort of waiting list for these scenarios where people can be called up to "jump the queue". Fully understand that it is really difficult to keep on top of supply and having the right appointments.

Tricky one I know and what you say is true but perhaps easier said than done ..  all I know is loads were binned yesterday and the same is happening today ..  

Just now, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

It’s all about the cases now, it’s becoming an obsession, the time to worry is if hospitalisations and deaths start to climb, fingers crossed the vaccines do their job and keep the latter down.

This was laughed off 12 months ago when Ivor Cummins uttered the word "casedemic".

Roll on 12 months and he isn't far off the reality tbf.  Certainly a lot closer than Lockdown Ferguson who in contrast constantly achieves MSM fame.

• Like 1

Guest Bert Fill
10 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

the time to worry is if hospitalisations and deaths start to climb, fingers crossed the vaccines do their job

I think for those whose job it is to try to manage this, the time to worry is before hospitalisations and deaths start to climb. If they wait for that to happen it can all get out of control very quickly.

And I really hope that they’re not adopting a ‘fingers crossed’ policy!

13 minutes ago, Bert Fill said:

I think for those whose job it is to try to manage this, the time to worry is before hospitalisations and deaths start to climb. If they wait for that to happen it can all get out of control very quickly.

And I really hope that they’re not adopting a ‘fingers crossed’ policy!

I think quite a few oft-quoted scientists are working on the basis that the vaccine has no effect.  That's why they think the third wave will be worse than the first or second.

1 hour ago, dsr-burnley said:

I think quite a few oft-quoted scientists are working on the basis that the vaccine has no effect.  That's why they think the third wave will be worse than the first or second.

Do you mean as a worse case scenario. Could you imagine the up roar if this was true!

Euro 2020: Fans at Wembley games required to show proof of vaccination or negative test before entry

Last updated on54 minutes ago54 minutes ago.From the sectionEuropean Championship1698

England fans at Middlesbrough's Riverside Stadium Socially distanced fans watched England's friendlies against Romania and Austria at Middlesbrough's Riverside Stadium

Fans attending England's Euro 2020 group games at Wembley Stadium will be required to show proof of vaccination or a negative test before entry.

Uefa says UK-based ticket holders aged 11 or over can show proof of full vaccination, with both doses received at least 14 days before the match.

Those not fully vaccinated must show proof of a negative lateral flow test taken within the previous 48 hours.

England play Croatia in their opening group game on Sunday.

Ticket holders for matches taking place at Hampden Park will not be required to show proof of vaccination or a negative Covid-19 test.

Fans who live in England attending games at Wembley can show their vaccination status via the NHS app.

Uefa says its "main priority" is to deliver a safe tournament, and is "working with the local governments and health authorities to ensure measures adhere to the public health guidance of the host country".

Wembley and Hampden Park are among 11 venues across Europe hosting Euro 2020 games. The others are in Rome, Munich, Baku, St Petersburg, Budapest, Seville, Bucharest, Amsterdam and Copenhagen.

Wembley will host a maximum of 22,500 fans - 25% of its capacity - for England's Group D fixtures against Croatia, Scotland and the Czech Republic.

The stadium is also due to host a last-16 tie as well as both semi-finals and the final.

3 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Euro 2020: Fans at Wembley games required to show proof of vaccination or negative test before entry

Last updated on54 minutes ago54 minutes ago.From the sectionEuropean Championship1698

England fans at Middlesbrough's Riverside Stadium Socially distanced fans watched England's friendlies against Romania and Austria at Middlesbrough's Riverside Stadium

Fans attending England's Euro 2020 group games at Wembley Stadium will be required to show proof of vaccination or a negative test before entry.

Uefa says UK-based ticket holders aged 11 or over can show proof of full vaccination, with both doses received at least 14 days before the match.

Those not fully vaccinated must show proof of a negative lateral flow test taken within the previous 48 hours.

England play Croatia in their opening group game on Sunday.

Ticket holders for matches taking place at Hampden Park will not be required to show proof of vaccination or a negative Covid-19 test.

Fans who live in England attending games at Wembley can show their vaccination status via the NHS app.

Uefa says its "main priority" is to deliver a safe tournament, and is "working with the local governments and health authorities to ensure measures adhere to the public health guidance of the host country".

Wembley and Hampden Park are among 11 venues across Europe hosting Euro 2020 games. The others are in Rome, Munich, Baku, St Petersburg, Budapest, Seville, Bucharest, Amsterdam and Copenhagen.

Wembley will host a maximum of 22,500 fans - 25% of its capacity - for England's Group D fixtures against Croatia, Scotland and the Czech Republic.

The stadium is also due to host a last-16 tie as well as both semi-finals and the final.

Where's the governor of Texas when you need him :D

2 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

Surely the stats and constant effectiveness reviews of the vaccine proves that it is effective. Why are there always doom mongers and nay-sayers at every successful turn?

I wonder if these scientist are like the same planks that contribute to the match thread when City are winning but not meeting their expectations or that just want failure to come from progress. 

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

That's a laugh considering Ms Sturgeons stance on the restrictions she's forced in Scotland lol Hypocrite. (IMO)

8 hours ago, DennisNedry said:

Think someone said something similar below but FWIW, I ended up ringing my local GP because I needed to update my mobile number for their records. Ended up finding out they're now doing 1st and 2nd vaccines, so I'm booked in for next week and will get my 2nd appointment whenever, so that's me sorted 

4 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

why not have a go yourself?

If you search for the spi-m-o data you can find the assumptions that they use.  

the PHE stats on vaccine effectiveness are here

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vaccines-highly-effective-against-b-1-617-2-variant-after-2-doses

If you look at the influenza and COVID surveillance reports e.g

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/991082/Weekly_Flu_and_COVID-19_report_w22.pdf

you can get the vaccination rates by age cohort.  You can also get the % that have antibodies to COVID from preinfections.

it’s not then too difficult then to put that into excel and calculate some basic parameters,

you can estimate death rates as approx risk of dying from something else at that age.  The surveillance  report lets you back calculate to hospitalisation risk.

By my calculation the vaccines plus preinfections  will reduce spread by about 1/2 assuming that everyone could catch it.  But see what you conclude.

When you play about with it you can see how difficult it is to make firm predictions as there are just so many not well known inputs, 

How much would unlocking fully increase spreading?are there  people with some protection left who don’t show up as having antibodies? If you have caught it once, weren’t hospitalised, lose immunity and catch it again is your risk of hospitalisation zero the second time or the same as anyone else?

what impact do the lateral flow tests have on work/school environments?

I think that you will conclude that a third wave is at worst comparable with the previous ones in terms of numbers,  with spread coming from the unvaccinated and deaths and hospitalisations coming from those who declined the vaccine.  

The big worry is the speed with which it happens and thus it’s steepness.

I can see why the delta variant is a worry, but I can also see that the finishing line is in sight.

1 hour ago, Walkers said:

Think someone said something similar below but FWIW, I ended up ringing my local GP because I needed to update my mobile number for their records. Ended up finding out they're now doing 1st and 2nd vaccines, so I'm booked in for next week and will get my 2nd appointment whenever, so that's me sorted 

Fair enough. I've had the same mobile number for about 10 years and only been registered at my GP for about 3 so I'm certain they have my number. Some GPs are just quite far behind it seems. I've decided just to suck it up and travel rather than fiddle about trying to re-book stuff. Cheers anyway.

• Like 1