Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

6 minutes ago, davieG said:

You're correct, frustrating when they're only 1hr.45mins away I mean it's not like they're in Australia.

it’s a difficult decision, I continued to see my 2 daughters, they’re 19 and 24 but have seen little of my own parents as they’ve been extremely careful being in their late 70’s, it’s all very sad.

I'll say it again deaths a day.

Imagine a few years ago telling the uk population that 8 deaths a day with not from a particular illness would cause country wide restrictions. 

Absolutely mental. 

When the tin foil hat brigade tell you It's about something else, not covid, you find it increasingly difficult to argue with. 

• Like 4

Guest Harrydc
1 minute ago, Otis said:

Imagine a few years ago telling the uk population that 8 deaths a day with not from a particular illness would cause country wide restrictions. 

Absolutely mental. 

When the tin foil hat brigade tell you It's about something else, not covid, you find it increasingly difficult to argue with. 

People have been slowly conditioned to believe having restrictions is normal. 

If we were told in March 2020 that we'd have on and off lockdowns and restrictions for 16 plus months NO ONE would have accepted it. 

2 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

People have been slowly conditioned to believe having restrictions is normal. 

If we were told in March 2020 that we'd have on and off lockdowns and restrictions for 16 plus months NO ONE would have accepted it. 

You do realise that nearly 4 million people have died from this worldwide? How many deaths would have been acceptable for you to 'accept' restrictions last year? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

That wasn't the initial plan in March anyway though?

51 minutes ago, Otis said:

So he said that delaying for another 4 weeks will save thousands of lives. 

But we are averaging 8 deaths a day.

Boris can I see your workings out?

Or is it a case of saying big scary numbers so everyone will think you're doing the right thing.

So 250 deaths a month as it stands, the delta is doubling between every 4.5 and 11.5 days. If you take the median then it's every 8 days. And that's with restrictions, with no restrictions it's going to be at the lower end at best. 

So 1000's of deaths could quite feasibly be in the pipeline again. 

8 minutes ago, Otis said:

Absolutely mental. 

I'll say it again, it's not about deaths now, it's about where they MIGHT end up.

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Today's slide show was an excellent example of how to present a series of misleading graphs.  Not only were they misleading, the narrative behind much of what was said was simply not true.  

Many, many people have made successful careers from presenting a series of misleading graphs on PPT slides and a false narrative to support them.

It's a skill 

:ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The current death rate is just over 2% of all infections. Yes we are better placed with our uptake of vaccinations now but with 7000 new cases today that is potentialy 140 deaths the numbers have shown the vaccinated are less likely to become infected  and also better placed to fight the infection should they become infected. But surely making sure the link is truely broken between the number of infections and the demand on the NHS is no bad thing, what are we missing out on in the next 30 days which would make throwing caution to the wind worth while? 

Guest Harrydc
1 minute ago, Babylon said:

I'll say it again, it's not about deaths now, it's about where they MIGHT end up.

Since when did we take ridiculous nonsensical restrictions for something which might happen? 

If we based our lives on things which might happen we should lock ourselves in our houses for the rest of our lives. 

The majority of the population have had this so precious vaccine which was supposed to be our route to freedom yet were still waiting 'just' another 4 weeks. 

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

So 250 deaths a month as it stands, the delta is doubling between every 4.5 and 11.5 days. If you take the median then it's every 8 days. And that's with restrictions, with no restrictions it's going to be at the lower end at best. 

So 1000's of deaths could quite feasibly be in the pipeline again. 

Not wanting to argue with you again, wasn’t it reported that 40% of recent

covid deaths were actually nothing to do with Covid.

The way they report deaths needs to be altered. 

5 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Not wanting to argue with you again, wasn’t it reported that 40% of recent

covid deaths were actually nothing to do with Covid.

The way they report deaths needs to be altered. 

They were his given numbers. Lower them if you want, the point about doubling still stands. I mean we could ignore some of them, but many are unvaccinated... coincidence?

I'd love to see more data around ages and races etc. It could be that this ends up very localisedin certain areas and certain communities because of the lack of take up. Whilst not good for them obviously, it shows the vaccines are working and the vast majority of the country would be ok. I don't know if that data is released to the public?

11 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

Since when did we take ridiculous nonsensical restrictions for something which might happen? 

But they HAVE been happening haven't they, without the vaccines it's pretty much absolutely certain they would. This isn't like "oh your could die in a car crash", 1000's and 1000's absolutely would have died, far more than before thanks to how quickly delta spreads. The vaccine numbers look good for those with two, but it's only a fairly small sample we're playing with in terms of delta. So the delay gives more data whilst also giving time for more vaccines. 

And the restrictions aren't nonsensical when it will clearly speed up the spread to relax them.

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

They were his given numbers. Lower them if you want, the point about doubling still stands. I mean we could ignore some of them, but many are unvaccinated... coincidence?

I'd love to see more data around ages and races etc. It could be that this ends up very localisedin certain areas and certain communities because of the lack of take up. Whilst not good for them obviously, it shows the vaccines are working and the vast majority of the country would be ok. I don't know if that data is released to the public?

Agreed. And whilst the deaths are low it should be easy to report.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Babylon said:

So if the government are using MIGHT then this never ends does it. 

Flu MIGHT kill 20,000 this winter do we lockdown for that?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Otis said:

Flu MIGHT kill 20,000 this winter do we lockdown for that?

Don't give them ideas. This is my worry going forward - we start making restrictions in winter a norm. No doubt some would defend it.

1 minute ago, Otis said:

Of course they use might, it's only a might because of the vaccine. Without the vaccine, then it would be 100% 10's of thousands are going to die. 

Just now, Babylon said:

Of course they use might, it's only a might because of the vaccine. Without the vaccine, then it would be 100% 10's of thousands are going to die. 

But we have the vaccine so they won't. 

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

On reflection, that whole press conference was the least credible of any I can remember.  Would like a psychologists view on it.  Much of what was said came across as untruthful imo and this was further backed up by those ridiculous graphs.  Makes me even more annoyed that they think they are credible displaying such nonsense.

Grouping the under 65s together as one big category to make it seem scarier to everyone lol

An 18 year old and a 64 year old will react to this virus completely differently, but the 64 will be double vaccinated by now anyway.

I'm starting to believe this ends when we say it ends, don't think anything will change in 4 weeks time, cases will be up, hospitalisations will be up and deaths probably will be as well tbf. Soon as September comes we're gonna panic and lockdown again, you can just see it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Grouping the under 65s together as one big category to make it seem scarier to everyone lol

An 18 year old and a 64 year old will react to this virus completely differently, but the 64 will be double vaccinated by now anyway.

I'm starting to believe this ends when we say it ends, don't think anything will change in 4 weeks time, cases will be up, hospitalisations will be up and deaths probably will be as well tbf. Soon as September comes we're gonna panic and lockdown again, you can just see it.

My concerns too.

I can’t see a way out of this, autumn and winter will soon be here.