Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

20 minutes ago, Bert said:

It’s frustrating, more for people that have weddings and other things planned. Apparently this 4 weeks will be the absolute end though. 

We need to learn to live with this now, just like we have done other infectious diseases that spread. 

Agreed about needing to live with it, which is why the mass vaccination effort I'm hoping would have paid off by now in the govs eyes. 

I'm really hoping this is the end of restrictions. I can't go on any longer with so much uncertainty. It's so frustrating 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Agreed about needing to live with it, which is why the mass vaccination effort I'm hoping would have paid off by now in the govs eyes. 

I'm really hoping this is the end of restrictions. I can't go on any longer with so much uncertainty. It's so frustrating 

Yeah, it’s really frustrating. I really hate having to wear a mask still, I want to be able to feel like I’m free when I’m out and about in shops or out for dinner. I’m trying to look at it in the sense that 4 more weeks won’t hurt when we’ve learnt to crack on with this situation for 16 months nearly. 

I feel sorry the most for those who have upcoming weddings. People had pinned hopes on their big day being able to go ahead how they’d planned it. 

Just now, yorkie1999 said:

Who say's it will be the absolute end? Can Johnson now predict where and when new variants will appear. I'm sure that by giving a date for the end of lockdown he must have been working on the assumptions of data fed to him, else why give a date in the first place and, if he is now giving a date a month later, how the fvck can he promise that based upon data that is obviously wrong. The arrival of this latest Delta strain is down to the incompetence of the buffoon in charge, he had the power to prevent it, but failed by not acting quick enough, and by that he failed the country, and it's just another failure in a long list of failures that show he's not fit to run the country. The sooner he is outed, the better off we'll be.

Just going on what I’ve read. 

As a side note, I have very little interest in politics. Who would you say is the right person to run the country? 

Guest Harrydc
1 hour ago, StanSP said:

And now they've (media) called it 'one last heave to freedom' lol

Meaningless. 

They've been saying it all along. 

"let's not ruin all our hard work now". 

They will keep dangling that carrot and people will keep chasing it. 

24 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

And what you've read appears to be correct, so how can the fool predict that in 5 weeks time, everything will be ok. Is he presuming that the Delta variant will have dissipated.

In 4-5 weeks time if we're averaging 8 deaths a day like we have for the past 2 months, then what?

31 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Who say's it will be the absolute end? Can Johnson now predict where and when new variants will appear. I'm sure that by giving a date for the end of lockdown he must have been working on the assumptions of data fed to him, else why give a date in the first place and, if he is now giving a date a month later, how the fvck can he promise that based upon data that is obviously wrong. The arrival of this latest Delta strain is down to the incompetence of the buffoon in charge, he had the power to prevent it, but failed by not acting quick enough, and by that he failed the country, and it's just another failure in a long list of failures that show he's not fit to run the country. The sooner he is outed, the better off we'll be.

It's so frustrating. To give the Government credit where it's due, they managed to acquire a massive amount of vaccine doses and have managed to distribute them in a very impressive way. But that just makes it all the more frustrating that we didn't close borders because the PM was in India trying to arrange a trade deal and not wanting to lose face by blocking flights from India. 

I get that we will never truly "beat" the virus and that it will continue to evolve and mutate, even if it eventually becomes something pretty harmless. But the levels of incompetence in handling this pandemic from the get-go have been embarrassing.

• Like 3

We are no longer being run by Political leaders who we have the democratic chance to replace. We are now being run by Scientists who’s political agenda we can’t asses or know and seemingly we can not ever replace, no matter how far fetched and inaccurate their predictions have been.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

It's so frustrating. To give the Government credit where it's due, they managed to acquire a massive amount of vaccine doses and have managed to distribute them in a very impressive way. But that just makes it all the more frustrating that we didn't close borders because the PM was in India trying to arrange a trade deal and not wanting to lose face by blocking flights from India. 

I get that we will never truly "beat" the virus and that it will continue to evolve and mutate, even if it eventually becomes something pretty harmless. But the levels of incompetence in handling this pandemic from the get-go have been embarrassing.

And yet, they've been allowed to get away with it with no repercussions whatsoever and because there are no repercussions and no voice that directly challenges them, they will continue to be a bunch of cvnts. When's the next election? can't come quick enough cos i'm voting for anyone who isn't a tory, and i don't normally vote because i don't subscribe to giving credence to self serving pricks who show no humility whatsoever and are simply in it to make as much dough for themselves.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

And what you've read appears to be correct, so how can the fool predict that in 5 weeks time, everything will be ok. Is he presuming that the Delta variant will have dissipated.

Your guess is as good as mine on that front. 

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

How about stop setting dates, stop getting yourselves hyped up, wait to see how the battle against a novel virus progresses and take it a step at a time without throwing our toys out?

Ever so sorry for trying to make some life plans.

Edited by StanSP
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Can't see how we'll be in a stronger position in 5 weeks to open up, so it'll be another "final push" and then would you look at that, flu season is round the corner. 

More people Vaccinated and we'd be able to confirm that the link between infections and hospitalisation/death has been broken.

Putting a definite time frame on it is stupid though. It's unpredictable and all you're doing is constantly lying and having to back pedal and it winds people up. If we're seeing a break in the data in 2/3 weeks then why wait the extra time. Alternatively, if the worst happens and we see a massive increase for some reason, then you're not going to be able to relax things in 4 weeks. 

Just say, we'll look at the data and we'll keep you updated every week.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, OrielCaziado said:

We are no longer being run by Political leaders who we have the democratic chance to replace. We are now being run by Scientists who’s political agenda we can’t asses or know and seemingly we can not ever replace, no matter how far fetched and inaccurate their predictions have been.

What an utterly bizarre post.

Political agenda? A novel coronavirus has no political agenda. Forget scientists - known science is ultimately axiomatic and has a voice of its own and those that practice it are subsequently judged by it. The advice concerning the current 'roadmap' has always been cautionary. The dynamic of infection is uncertain and hard to predict. Ironically, it's through the government flouting this advice and the premature relaxation of international travel - yet again - that we now have this delay. 

The science that you decry will afford you your freedom...because the vaccination programme will ultimately drive this down. Globally though, that's a long game. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Line-X said:

Political agenda? A novel coronavirus has no political agenda. Forget scientists - known science is ultimately axiomatic and has a voice of its own and those that practice it are subsequently judged by it. The advice concerning the current 'roadmap' has always been cautionary. The dynamic of infection is uncertain and hard to predict. Ironically, it's through the government flouting this advice and the premature relaxation of international travel - yet again - that we now have this delay. 

The science that you decry will afford you your freedom...because the vaccination programme will ultimately drive this down. Globally though, that's a long game. 

So are you saying that scientists have no political leanings or motivations whatsoever ? 

Policy is now being led by these scientists and the voters have no choices on which scientists we follow.  Our Prime Minister seems to follow every lead they make. 

4 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Be fair now. We elect people every five years to change laws as we want, do we not? Well, why can’t we do the same with the laws of physics?

You’re not thinking outside the box here.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, OrielCaziado said:

So are you saying that scientists have no political leanings or motivations whatsoever ? 

Policy is now being led by these scientists and the voters have no choices on which scientists we follow.  Our Prime Minister seems to follow every lead they make. 

They might, but that's irrelevant, as the scientific method does not and that is what counts.

1 minute ago, Dunge said:

Be fair now. We elect people every five years to change laws as we want, do we not? Well, why can’t we do the same with the laws of physics?

You’re not thinking outside the box here.

In this post truth world, this isn't so far fetched.

20 minutes ago, filbertway said:

More people Vaccinated and we'd be able to confirm that the link between infections and hospitalisation/death has been broken.

Putting a definite time frame on it is stupid though. It's unpredictable and all you're doing is constantly lying and having to back pedal and it winds people up. If we're seeing a break in the data in 2/3 weeks then why wait the extra time. Alternatively, if the worst happens and we see a massive increase for some reason, then you're not going to be able to relax things in 4 weeks. 

Just say, we'll look at the data and we'll keep you updated every week.

But the vaccine doesn't stop you getting it, and all we're delaying on the basis of at the moment is an increase of cases? So if we're at say, 15/20K cases a day in 4 weeks time but there's not a similar rise in hospitalisations, you're saying this government will have the balls to stand up and say that they're confident the link has been broken, we'll declare ourselves as safe to progress and off we go? 

Absolutely no chance. 

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

How about stop setting dates, stop getting yourselves hyped up, wait to see how the battle against a novel virus progresses and take it a step at a time without throwing our toys out?

If they don't set dates, the opposition and media will say: "What's the roadmap, what's the plan, what's the timeline?"

24 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

I’m more fed up with the “government sources say” line. It’s not transfer deadline day on sky sports. I find it really inappropriate the way things keep getting leaked (intentionally or not).

This is nothing new. Govts have briefed journalists (on and off the record) for decades just as people in football do.

15 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

But the vaccine doesn't stop you getting it, and all we're delaying on the basis of at the moment is an increase of cases? So if we're at say, 15/20K cases a day in 4 weeks time but there's not a similar rise in hospitalisations, you're saying this government will have the balls to stand up and say that they're confident the link has been broken, we'll declare ourselves as safe to progress and off we go? 

Absolutely no chance. 

People are still getting the virus but it’s leading to far far fewer hospitalisations. I read this morning that there’s one patient currently in UHL on a ventilator?

I’m guessing it’s the vaccine that’s enabling this to be true. 
The govt always equated lock down with over-burden on the NHS, so this can’t be an argument anymore surely? 
I really do think we just have to get on with it and keep educating those who don’t want the vaccine to have it